Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card bag instead of box- legit or am I missing something?  (Read 6221 times)

Omer

• Steward
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Card bag instead of box- legit or am I missing something?
« on: October 22, 2012, 06:38:09 am »

So I was thinking: What could be a better storage solution than to simply put each kingdom pile in a ziplock bag, then throw all bags into a big bag, and when you want to play you simply raffle through it and pull out 10 bags.

Advantages: Way less setup time than shuffling randomizer cards, then go over to your box and carefully find them one at a time. Then, when the game is over, you simply return the bags to the big bag, instead of trying to put each pile in its rightful place in the box.

Disadvantages: ?
This user is banned.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
Re: Card bag instead of box- legit or am I missing something?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 06:52:33 am »

I can think of one disadvantage right away, but it is surmountable with care.  Unless you are removing all the air from the bag during each reseal, this method could take up more room than others, especially for large numbers of cards. For me personally, removing the air from each bag would take about the same amount of time as putting the cards back in the correct slot in the box.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 06:58:54 am »

Possible damage from loose bags bumping around in the bigger box/bag? Am thinking dented edges.

Plus if you wanted to play with specific cards you would have to hunt around?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 06:59:11 am »

It depends on the kingdom group you play with. Different groups prefer different randomizing. And some groups wants to play pre-made kingdoms. Having the cards randomly stored in a bag makes this a pain. One guy at our game store has this solution, although he keeps the cards in top loaders in a box, but it's basically the same. When we play our IRL league we have to use his set as the randomizer if we want all tables to play the same kingdoms.

If you play all random sets all the time, it's a nice solution, though.

And then you have to take into account that a lot of gamers like their games nice and tidy.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 07:02:46 am »

Disadvantage: It doesn't look nice on a shelf. :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 07:53:15 am »

this is the solution I use
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 08:06:53 am »

Regarding putting cards back "in the right place" - why do they have to have a right place? Just bung them back in the box in any order if you want them auto-randomized.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:08:04 am by Octo »

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 12:10:18 pm »

Disandvantage: You'll need a second bag or a box for the base cards when you don't want to search them all the times

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 12:21:29 pm »

Disandvantage: You'll need a second bag or a box for the base cards when you don't want to search them all the times

This is what I do in more detail.  I have a bag big enough to hold a Dominion large expansion box and a small expansion box.  I keep the Base Cards expansions box (It perfectly holds all the standard base cards for 3/4p, including Spoils and Ruins now) in the small expansions box along with the randomizers, mats, tokens, extra bags, etc.  I randomize the order of all cards with a program I wrote and put them in the large expansion box (I do not think it will hold Guilds, sadly, but Dark Ages just barely fits in).  When we have played a set of 10, I put the kingdom cards in the bag separate from the boxes and continue until all cards have gotten a game, then rerandomize.  The biggest downside is having to manually randomize for a while now and then, but the big upside is you don't have to go looking for all the cards.  Not pretty, but it works.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 01:13:03 pm »

Disclaimer: I don't own all physical dominion sets (yet).

What I do is I have cardboard divider I made which separates a big box into quadrants. Each set of kingdom cards gets it's own small bag. And I separate the cards by expansion into each quadrant, theres just about enough room, though I think DA might need 2 sections. And I have larger bags for the common cards and mats and stuff which also get a quadrant. So each big box for me is actually 3 sets with common cards.

One advantage is space. It's easy to just carry one box which has 3 sets in it. And picking random kingdoms is very easy. Just grab a few bags from whatever sets you want to play with.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 02:29:43 pm »

I put my cards in bags. There are perfect bags at Hobby Lobby that hold a kingdom card. They work well for up to 30 cards, so I use them for Gold and the victory cards, but I bought bigger bags for Copper and Silver. The bigger ones I bought are too large, but they work when I fold them over.

I wouldn't dream of putting them in a bag, though. I would just be worried about gravity taking its toll on the cards if they are stacked awkwardly on top of each other.

But I did start this process off with the intent of using the bags as the randomizer. I think I started this with Prosperity…maybe Seaside. I had enough cards to put into one box and shuffle them around a bit. It even made a pretty handy Black Market deck.

I have too many for shuffling around in a box, so now I have them filed alphabetically. They are still in their baggies, mostly because I haven't been motivated to create dividers for them. Putting up is kind of easy because I don't take the cards out of the bag unless it's been bought. Why bother pulling Workshop out of the bag when Ironworks is out there? Why pull Moat out of the bag when there are no attacks? Why pull Scout out of the bag?

I'm trying to figure out a better way to store my cards, but this rumbling rumor of an official storage device has intrigued me. It'd be so much easier if I can buy one.
A man has no signature

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 05:39:41 pm »
+4

I have a super secret way that I store my cards.  I use the original boxes that they came in and the little plastic trays and store them the way they were intended! Sure I'm walking around with a stack of boxes up to my chin, but at least it gets people's attention...

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 05:43:06 pm »
+1

I make Donald or Jay (whoevers turn it is) come round and hand write me cards each time i want to play

Simple and elegant, and really impresses the ladies!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 04:24:41 am »
+1

@Aaron - ha yeah, but handling the regular boxes at the table just gets too much after a while, there's just not enough space.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 08:31:28 am »

Some of the stacks will be recognizable by larger height (Rats?) which may affect shuffling and blind drawing.

If you drew a Young Witch is a bit tedious to repeatedly draw from the big bag until you have found an appropriate bane.

No dealbreakers in my opinion but you asked for any disadvantages.

Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 09:03:39 am »

@Aaron - ha yeah, but handling the regular boxes at the table just gets too much after a while, there's just not enough space.

If you think you have it tough, try playing in a motor home! Yep, I live in one about 45 weeks out of the year and play Dominion in it too. You wanna know how? I'll tell you how. I first take everything off the couch and take all my boxes out of their crooks and crannies. I line all the boxes up on the couch till I have a solid block of Dominion box. Then I grab as many stacks of supply cards as I can and take them over to the table(which isn't very far). I play with the randomizer which works pretty well for the way I play. Only 2 drawbacks:

1.  Takes a bit longer to set up and get the boxes set.

2.  If anyone sits down on the couch, you're in trouble.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.855 seconds with 21 queries.