Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: When is a really complicated strategy better than a simple one?  (Read 1028 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
When is a really complicated strategy better than a simple one?
« on: October 20, 2012, 07:54:20 pm »

My opponent's strategy was to buy Workshop/Throne Room/Potion/Apothecary/Salvager/Spies/Hagglers and use them to get multiple actions so that he could get Smithies for monster turns.  That seemed really slow and kind of dump, so I stuck with a simpler Spies/Salvager/Haggler big money strategy.  I got destroyed.  Was his strategy that much better?  How do you design a strategy like that?

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201210/20/game-20121020-165022-25b38c31.html

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: When is a really complicated strategy better than a simple one?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 09:07:15 pm »

If your plan is to focus on money then Salvager and Haggler are fine, but the Throne Rooms and Spies are not going to help you. Throne Room needs a high action density to be effective and I will always prefer Silver over Spy in a money deck without strong trashing. Actually I will probably ignore Spy 99% of the time in money decks, but I just really hate Spy.

There's several nice synergies available for the engine player here. Workshop gets Throne Room its high action density. Throne Room with Spy or Apothecary is a pseudo village (as you pointed out). Salvager takes care of estates, while Apothecary takes care of coppers. Apothecary makes it easier for Spy to discard dead cards. And Haggler can provide more fuel for Salvager. Multiple Province turns are a real possibility with Smithy to draw your deck and Salvager for plus buy.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 11:19:06 pm »
+1

How do you design a strategy like that?

This all has to do with engine building. This kingdom has ways to gain a lot of engine components, draw the important parts of the deck, and generate a lot of coin.

See http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201210/20/game-20121020-201823-0c9391d2.html for a log that empties out Provinces in 15 turns.

EDIT: I should add that, in addition to eHalcyon's suggestion, the kingdom strongly resembles the one in the First Game kingdom, and the general rules for building that engine applies here as well.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 12:43:10 am by dondon151 »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 12:39:29 am »

How do you design a strategy like that?

You might be interested in reading some annotated games.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.381 seconds with 21 queries.