Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Hoard in Colony games  (Read 10085 times)

Omer

• Steward
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Re: Hoard in Colony games
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 08:04:14 pm »

Tnx for all the replies. A question thought: I don't have Intrigue yet, but does Hoard becomes more attractive in Colony games if you have access to cards like Nobles, Great Halls and Harem?

p.s. What's TFB?
This user is banned.

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 08:06:20 pm »

TfB: Trash for Benefit

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2012, 08:28:15 pm »
+1

momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Omer

• Steward
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 05:51:12 am »

Okay, but what about this?
Tnx for all the replies. A question thought: I don't have Intrigue yet, but does Hoard becomes more attractive in Colony games if you have access to cards like Nobles, Great Halls and Harem?
This user is banned.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2012, 08:04:20 am »

Harems seriously get in the way when you aim for colonies and I doubt that you can win on provinces and harems alone.

Great Halls are good when you have a source of +buy. When this source is Contraband, the mind games arising should be reason enough to go for it! With Great Halls around there may be a way to threepile on Great Halls, Duchies, and Worker's Villages (or what have you).

Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Dulkal

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2012, 08:27:19 am »

Hmm maybe I'll make a house rule to the house rule- that you don't play with platinum/colony if hoard is selected. And when I get more expansions I might expand that rule to include other cards that are worthless with colonies (like Explorer, Tournament, etc.)

I think that is a slippery slope, but I'm fanatical about naturally occuring combinations like that. I think that playing with colonies even without prosperity cards open up some fascinating new strategical avenues. But always playing with colonies closes off just as many, even with cards where it is not immidiately obvious that their role has been diminished or changed. I'd advocate, as already suggested in the thread, playing 50/50.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 08:33:36 am »
+3

Remember this: Not every board with Colonies is a Colony game.

If there is a decent alternative VP strategy like Gardens/Silk Roads or Duke, it's very nice if you happen to grab a lucky Hoard because you can sustain your buying power a lot longer.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2012, 04:57:09 am »

Davio knows what he's talking about!

Incidentally, at a tangent, do you think there's room for Hoard in a Vineyards game? Difficult to speak generically I know, but what's your broad analysis on this?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2012, 08:58:13 am »

Davio knows what he's talking about!

Incidentally, at a tangent, do you think there's room for Hoard in a Vineyards game? Difficult to speak generically I know, but what's your broad analysis on this?
Surely not.

I mean, the only thing you need to buy a Vineyards is a single Potion, you don't need any other currency.
If you go with Hoard there may be a lot of times you don't draw it with a Potion, what are you going to do then, buy an Estate?

And the Gold is not necessary at all, would you use it to buy Action cards? There will be a lot of cheap Action cards anyway and there will be more efficient ways to get Action cards like Ironworks/Workshop/University, etc.....

Hoard + Vineyards is a bad combo.

What you need with Vineyards is simply to win the split and for this you need good judgment on when to buy the Potions. The obvious answer is: Sooner than your opponent.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2012, 09:21:28 am »

I'd consider Hoard in a Colony game if there was some sort of support for it, but I'm a Hoard fanboy so that's probably still a bad idea.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

TheMathProf

• Scout
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2012, 01:13:51 pm »

p.s. What's TFB?

I like Hoard a lot better in Colony games with Great Halls and Nobles, because you gain the Gold while picking up a few scattered Victory points that aren't dead cards in your hand.  With Nobles in particular, you're getting the two Victory points and (usually) a Smithy like effect on a future turn, while still not damaging your ability to buy a Gold with $6-8.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.381 seconds with 21 queries.