Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Fan Card Ideas  (Read 9615 times)

sylas

• Bishop
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Ideas
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 06:34:39 pm »

i didn't know what to call it and didn't know if it was bad at the time.

maybe i should name that *** card, 'Master of Coin' just to avoid this misunderstanding  ;D

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 07:55:58 pm »

Master of Coin A
Action
Reveal your hand and set aside all Copper cards. If there are 3 or more set-aside Coppers, trash 3 of them, gain a Gold and repeat this process. Then, if there are 2 set-aside Coppers, trash them and gain a Silver. Then, discard the remaining set-aside cards.

This is wordy. A version that could only gain 1 gold and 1 silver and eliminated the rest of the coppers would be:

Master of Coin B
Action
Reveal your hand and set aside all Copper cards. If there are 3 or more set aside Coppers, trash 3 of them, gain a Gold. Then, if there are 2 set aside Coppers, trash them and gain a Silver. Then, trash the remaining set-aside cards.

I don't think either warrant costing 7. They would need a buy restriction that will stop them from being bought turn 1 if they were to cost 5. They become outmoded when you have less than 2 coppers in a given hand.

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 05:34:17 pm »

MASTER OF COIN, $6, Action
Trash any number of Copper in your hand. If you trash at least two, you gain a Silver. If you trash at least three, you gain a Gold.

this way it limits the treasure you get back. i'm still not convinced about the pricing. 6 or 7 seem too steep. after all, the copper you trash gives you less to spend this turn as the treasure you gain goes into your discard pile and not your hand. comparing this to the Bureaucrat, this card appears too weak and rather situational. i'm inclined to add a +$1 or reduce the cost to 5. i'll need to playtest it first.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 07:32:17 pm »

Trash any number of Copper in your hand. If you trash at least two, you gain a Silver. If you trash at least three, you gain a Gold.

this way it limits the treasure you get back. i'm still not convinced about the pricing. 6 or 7 seem too steep. after all, the copper you trash gives you less to spend this turn as the treasure you gain goes into your discard pile and not your hand. comparing this to the Bureaucrat, this card appears too weak and rather situational. i'm inclined to add a +$1 or reduce the cost to 5. i'll need to playtest it first.
First, I think you need to tighten up the wording - as it reads now, if you trash 3 Coppers you get a Silver *and* a Gold. And I think it's still insanely overpowered. By the time you've bought this, Copper is not something you want a lot of in your deck. This plus, say, Hamlet and maybe a half-way decent card drawer equals an insanely tight deck full of good treasure. And if you want, you can buy a few more Copper to feed to it, too.

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 11:02:33 am »

First, I think you need to tighten up the wording - as it reads now, if you trash 3 Coppers you get a Silver *and* a Gold. And I think it's still insanely overpowered. By the time you've bought this, Copper is not something you want a lot of in your deck. This plus, say, Hamlet and maybe a half-way decent card drawer equals an insanely tight deck full of good treasure. And if you want, you can buy a few more Copper to feed to it, too.

Surely you're not saying that "trash three Coppers for a Gold alone" is overpowered at $6 even if you don't elect to buy extra Coppers (and hence will only get 2 Golds)? For that $6 you could have just bought a Gold instead of waiting until next shuffle to gain a Gold; and the extra buying power will probably get you the second Gold. Trashing Coppers efficiently isn't all that hard in a draw engine like you're discussing; any number of $3-4 cards can pull that off if you care enough to spend a turn buying them, so this benefit is not that mindblowing to me. And if your card draw is good enough that you can rely on promptly drawing 3 out of the 4 Coppers in your deck with an Action to spare, your deck might well be tight enough already that you dont mind the Copper, or even welcome it!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:03:40 am by WheresMyElephant »

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2012, 06:40:42 pm »

new card i'm scratching my head over.

CAPITAL, $6, Victory
Worth 2 Victory Points for every set you have consisting of: an Estate, a Duchy, and a Province.

i.e. if you have 5 Estates, 3 Duchys and 3 Provinces, you'll have 3 complete sets meaning each Capital is worth 6 points.

again i know the wording is bad but i couldn't think of anything else. is this over/underpowered?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:44:36 pm by sylas »

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2012, 10:41:31 am »

In a 2 player game with this as the only alt-vp card, it rewards the player who is already ahead. If you get 2 provinces, 3 estates, and 3 duchies, and 3 Capitals, getting the 3rd province you need is worth 12VP to you and could be worth 10 or more VP to your opponent. In a dark ages game, people don't start with Estates, so this becomes more difficult to pull off. These are explicit over/underpower, just something to think about. I like the idea, though, especially when there are +Buys or certain gainers on the board.

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2012, 04:21:24 pm »

i'm going crazy with this one now. it seems overpowered at first but having thought about it, its kind of a double-edged sword. is it too swingy or can it work?

WILD GEESE, $5, Action

When you play this card, pass it to the left. Keep passing the card until a player decides to gain it. Whoever gains it, also gains 2 Curses, and you gain a Treasure worth up to the number of players it has been passed to. If the card is passed back to you, gain a Gold and discard the card.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 04:22:38 pm by sylas »

Hks

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: HyenHks
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2012, 06:15:25 pm »

Two Curses is a heavy drawback. I think one will very rarely choose to gain it (unless the curses has run out), especially in multiplayer games (you have no chance of winning giving yourself 2 curses!)  If so, it simply says: Gain a gold.. which I think is too simple.. But It's a interesting idea!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:16:41 pm by Hks »

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2012, 06:38:36 pm »

note that the drawback with giving someone 2 Curses means that player will then gain that card and eventually be able to use it for his own ends. depending on how well you are able to trash cards will mean how willing you are to gain the card to stop another from gaining Treasure each time it is played and thus, gain Victory cards more quickly. your -2VP might be a small price to pay in the long run.

not sure about the wording but if i'm correct, this card can't work with a Throne Room because you can't play a card that's been discarded?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2012, 07:38:37 pm »

not sure about the wording but if i'm correct, this card can't work with a Throne Room because you can't play a card that's been discarded?

Not because you can't play a card that's been discarded—if you can play a card that's in the trash I don't see why you wouldn't be able to play a card that's been discarded—but because you can't pass a card that's been discarded (due to the lose-track rule).

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2012, 07:44:28 pm »

i see. at least the limitation is still there.

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2012, 12:20:28 pm »

can someone please give this card a Name and appropriate cost:

[name], $?, Treasure-Duration(?)

+$2

When you gain this card, set it aside from your hand. You may spend it at any time during your Buy phase and is not discarded during Clean-up. When you spend it, trash the card and gain a Curse.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2012, 01:03:43 pm »
+1

can someone please give this card a Name and appropriate cost:

[name], $?, Treasure-Duration(?)

+$2

When you gain this card, set it aside from your hand. You may spend it at any time during your Buy phase and is not discarded during Clean-up. When you spend it, trash the card and gain a Curse.

Let's clean up some stuff

1. This isn't a Duration. Durations stay in play, this gets set aside. So it's just a Treasure.

2. Change it to "Worth 2$". Just makes it a lot cleaner and  shows that it is a Treasure and not an Action.

3. Axe the Curse clause. If this card had it, I would never get it, no matter what the cost.

4. Reword it to this:
"When you gain this, set it aside. At the beginning of any of your future Buy Phases, you may put this card into play. At the end of clean up, trash it."

5. This would probably cost 4$. It's similar to Mining Village as you buy it, and then the next time you play it, immediately trash it to boost yourself up to higher costing cards. This card has more flexibility (allowing you to have that +2$ whenever you want it), but doesn't have the dual purpose that Mining Village has of being a Village if you need it in an engine.

6. For the name, what about Relic? You happen to find a Relic! You keep it safe and know you can use it to help your kingdom prosper when the time comes.

Overall, cool card! Never really thought of one quite like it.

Hope I helped! :)

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2012, 02:02:09 pm »

thank you very much! i thought it was Duration going by some of the Seaside cards without really understanding how they were used. i included Curse as i thought it was too powerful as it was. but then you reminded me of Mining Village which is a fair comparison. and Relic is a great name to match.

thanks again
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 2.058 seconds with 21 queries.