Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 68  All

Author Topic: Mafia XIV: The Chicken Curse of the Sea Hags (Mafia Wins!)  (Read 166320 times)

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XIV: The Chicken Curse of the Sea Hags (Day 1 in progress)
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2012, 12:45:11 pm »

I just got here.  And I see we're in for a fast and furious start.  With only a 6-day deadline, and only 3 days before someone gets cursed, that's probably a good thing.

One mechanics wrinkle that I haven't seen mentioned yet:  the Cutpurse, by using his dayvig, also becomes an Innocent Child (i.e., mod-confirmed town).  I'm thinking that's the more town-beneficial part of his power than the actual dayvig.

Sort of, he double IC's.

He kills scum in one scenario, or fails to kill someone in which case they are both town.

If someone claims Cutpurse falsely the correct thing isn't to counter claim it's to shoot them.
I'm confused.  Does a Cutpurse day-vig on a town-chicken not go through?  I thought it did.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2012, 12:48:40 pm »

I just got here.  And I see we're in for a fast and furious start.  With only a 6-day deadline, and only 3 days before someone gets cursed, that's probably a good thing.

One mechanics wrinkle that I haven't seen mentioned yet:  the Cutpurse, by using his dayvig, also becomes an Innocent Child (i.e., mod-confirmed town).  I'm thinking that's the more town-beneficial part of his power than the actual dayvig.

Sort of, he double IC's.

He kills scum in one scenario, or fails to kill someone in which case they are both town.

If someone claims Cutpurse falsely the correct thing isn't to counter claim it's to shoot them.
I'm confused.  Does a Cutpurse day-vig on a town-chicken not go through?  I thought it did.

NVM I missunderstood the role.

Essentially I read Cursed as Sea Hags and thought that cut purse was ridiculous.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2012, 12:52:10 pm »

Under what circumstances (of the time of day, of the person who is cursed, of the vote patterns)should the Cutpurse use his ability with the purpose of becoming an IC? (and thus is presumably willing to risk a missed dayvig)

The most obvious situation, I think, is if the Cutpurse himself is in danger of being lynched.  Town Cutpurse being lynched (thus ending the day) is a worse situation than the town Cutpurse becoming IC, another player being dayvigged (who could be scum OR town), and the day NOT ending (so the town could still have a productive lynch).

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2012, 12:54:05 pm »

Jorbles, a rules question:  If the Explorer investigates the Lookout, what result does he get?

I can't tell if "Sea Hag or not Sea Hag" means "Sea Hag-aligned or not Sea Hag-aligned," or if it means "a Sea Hag or not a Sea Hag."

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2012, 12:57:01 pm »

Jorbles, a rules question:  If the Explorer investigates the Lookout, what result does he get?

I can't tell if "Sea Hag or not Sea Hag" means "Sea Hag-aligned or not Sea Hag-aligned," or if it means "a Sea Hag or not a Sea Hag."

If the Explorer investigates the Lookout they will get the result Sea Hag.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2012, 12:58:01 pm »

Another theory note: Should the town aligned curser early claim? It's a role that town shouldn't care about losing, and a role I don't think scum would fake claim for that reason.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2012, 01:00:43 pm »

Another theory note: Should the town aligned curser early claim? It's a role that town shouldn't care about losing, and a role I don't think scum would fake claim for that reason.

This is impossible to do honestly. They do not know they are the Curser.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2012, 01:03:28 pm »

This is impossible to do honestly. They do not know they are the Curser.

I'm not so good at reading the role pms apparently. I think I saw the Curser and the pm so I assumed the person would get the pm.   :o

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2012, 01:07:27 pm »

Thanks, Jorbles.

There is another, rather significant, downside to Cutpurse, the more I think about it.  He's the only role that can cause a death other than the scumfaction kill.  That means that the Cutpurse using his dayvig puts us at even parity instead of odd parity - and the only way to restore parity is if scum target the Pearl Diver on the night he commutes.  (As there are no other extra kills nor any other way to prevent the scums' nightkill).

Huh.  I think this means that the Cutpurse dayvig, if he misses, actually costs Town a day.  Consider:

1) If Cutpurse never dayvigs:
-- Day 1:  10 town, 3 scum.  Assume we mislynch.
-- Day 2:  8 town, 3 scum.  Assume we mislynch.
-- Day 3:  6 town, 3 scum.  Assume we mislynch.
-- Day 4:  4 town, 3 scum.  LYLO.

2) If Cutpurse dayvigs and hits town (assume Day 1 dayvig, though it doesn't really matter when for this exercise):
-- Day 1:  9 town, 3 scum.  Assume we mislynch.
-- Day 2:  7 town, 3 scum.  Assume we mislynch.
-- Day 3:  5 town, 3 scum.  MYLO.

3) If Cutpurse dayvigs and hits scum (again, assume Day 1 dayvig):
-- Day 1:  10 town, 2 scum.  Assume we mislynch.
-- Day 2:  8 town, 2 scum.  Assume we mislynch.
-- Day 3:  6 town, 2 scum.  Assume we mislynch.
-- Day 4:  4 town, 2 scum.  MYLO.

If Cutpurse never fires, or if he fires and hits scum, we can mislynch three times without losing the game.  If Cutpurse fires and hits town, we can only mislynch TWICE without losing the game.  (Again, all of this assumes that the Pearl Diver doesn't restore parity by dodging scum's nightkill.)

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2012, 01:07:49 pm »

Jorbles:

If I am a chicken, and Galzria is @ L-1

and I say

Chicken Vote: Galzria
ChickenUnvote

Chicken Vote: RobZ

Do I hammer?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2012, 01:09:10 pm »

Thanks, Jorbles.

There is another, rather significant, downside to Cutpurse, the more I think about it.  He's the only role that can cause a death other than the scumfaction kill.  That means that the Cutpurse using his dayvig puts us at even parity instead of odd parity - and the only way to restore parity is if scum target the Pearl Diver on the night he commutes.  (As there are no other extra kills nor any other way to prevent the scums' nightkill).

Huh.  I think this means that the Cutpurse dayvig, if he misses, actually costs Town a day.  Consider:

1) If Cutpurse never dayvigs:
-- Day 1:  10 town, 3 scum.  Assume we mislynch.
-- Day 2:  8 town, 3 scum.  Assume we mislynch.
-- Day 3:  6 town, 3 scum.  Assume we mislynch.
-- Day 4:  4 town, 3 scum.  LYLO.

2) If Cutpurse dayvigs and hits town (assume Day 1 dayvig, though it doesn't really matter when for this exercise):
-- Day 1:  9 town, 3 scum.  Assume we mislynch.
-- Day 2:  7 town, 3 scum.  Assume we mislynch.
-- Day 3:  5 town, 3 scum.  MYLO.

3) If Cutpurse dayvigs and hits scum (again, assume Day 1 dayvig):
-- Day 1:  10 town, 2 scum.  Assume we mislynch.
-- Day 2:  8 town, 2 scum.  Assume we mislynch.
-- Day 3:  6 town, 2 scum.  Assume we mislynch.
-- Day 4:  4 town, 2 scum.  MYLO.

If Cutpurse never fires, or if he fires and hits scum, we can mislynch three times without losing the game.  If Cutpurse fires and hits town, we can only mislynch TWICE without losing the game.  (Again, all of this assumes that the Pearl Diver doesn't restore parity by dodging scum's nightkill.)

Unless the dayvig dayvigs instead of hammers - in which case its effectively lynching + mod confirming 1 player as town.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2012, 01:09:40 pm »

Unless the dayvig dayvigs instead of hammers - in which case its effectively lynching + mod confirming 1 player as town.

This of course assumes we're about to lynch a chicken.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2012, 01:12:16 pm »

Jorbles:

If I am a chicken, and Galzria is @ L-1

and I say

Chicken Vote: Galzria
ChickenUnvote

Chicken Vote: RobZ

Do I hammer?

Yes.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 17, 2012, 01:14:22 pm »

And if I chicken vote for someone not in the game?

Chicken Vote: G-Money?

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2012, 01:15:49 pm »

G-Money is CLEARLY Galzria, and you REALLY dislike Galzria right now eh?

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2012, 01:16:40 pm »

Grujah is feeling offended.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2012, 01:19:08 pm »

Grujah is feeling offended.

Don't speak for (lurkers) someone who hasn't show up yet unless your fingering your scumbuddy for us?

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2012, 01:20:53 pm »

You mean, the dayvig happens, and then we no-lynch to keep odd parity?  Well... yes, I suppose.  But the mod-confirmed townie (the Cutpurse) is almost certain to be killed in the night.  That feels like we've wasted the Cutpurse's IC reveal - it's only strategically useful if we can use that info to help guide a lynch.

Maybe the most strategically sound time for the Cutpurse to dayvig is if the town's suspicions are split between two players:  the Cutpurse and someone who has been Cursed.  The Cutpurse's dayvig then provides BOTH flips that the Town was interested to get.  And then the Town can, immediately (as in, before scum have a chance to nightkill), use that info to help guide the lynch towards someone else (hopefully some other scum!).

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XIV: The Chicken Curse of the Sea Hags
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2012, 01:22:50 pm »

The effects of being Cursed:
You cannot Chicken Vote for players who are not in the game.

If you Chicken Vote for someone not in the game in a blatant attempt to impart some information it would be a violation of the rules, and I'd be forced to punish you somehow. If it's clearly a joke I'd probably let it slide and issue a warning, but since it's been brought up. Consider yourselves warned.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2012, 01:32:22 pm »

I guess then people at L-1 can't ask the chicken questions. and if you're a chicken trying to give a town read on somebody at L-1, then you probably should have given that read a long time ago, buddy.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2012, 01:55:16 pm »

I am excited to be playing another game with all the experts, though I'm pretty mafia-depressed at the moment. MXII, ugh...

I understand conceptually while Cursed players are more likely to be town. However, if I were a Sea Hag, I would probably instruct my co-Hag to Curse me at every opportunity. So, in practice I don't imagine giving the Cursed much of a past. The bad thing will be the great difficulty they have explaining themselves.

Separately, we are going to need to devise a way for Chickens to role claims. I would propose making a single post with 12 uses of the word Chicken. Like this: "Chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken." This will let us know that you are attempting to role claim. Then your next post should have a number of Chickens corresponding to your role, in the order listed in the opening post. In a third post, you should post a number of chickens that corresponds with a person you targeted first (if you're explorer, or something), indexed to the player order from the opening post. And so on.

Make sense?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2012, 01:56:04 pm »

typos**

while = why
past = pass

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2012, 02:03:01 pm »

Wadap? I can't say I understand the setup completely, but death to sea hags right?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2012, 02:09:04 pm »

Wadap? I can't say I understand the setup completely, but death to sea hags right?

Vote: Eevee

I'm continuing my MXII tradition of refusing to tolerate silliness or RVS. Always serious, all the time. What do you think of my role claim system for Chickens?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2012, 02:09:19 pm »

Oops, Vote: Eevee
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 68  All

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 20 queries.