Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tutorial: For the next time you play Possession+Governor+King's Court  (Read 906 times)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile

I knew this would be messy before the game even started:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201210/12/game-20121012-185720-111adc88.html

Cards in supply: Fool's Gold, Golem, Governor, King's Court, Oracle, Pawn, Possession, Potion, Silk Road, Smithy, and Upgrade

But all that really mattered was King's Court, Possession, Governor and Golem (maybe Pawn)

The only real mistake Fire Penguin made was using his Governor to pick up a Gold. As soon as he did that he gave me the ability to gain provinces when I possessed him. With his Silvers and Pawns (and starting copper) I could gain 2 provinces and 2 duchies each time I possessed him (plus upgrading my own stuff - like a KC-> Province, or a Potion->Duchy)

The textbook play for this board is standard when Possession is a usable card - but highlighted like crazy due to Governor and King's Court.
You want to get to Possession and KC as fast as possible. Then you want to trash your own deck so the only thing you can do is possess the other guys deck repeatedly but are not able to buy anything yourself.

Ideally you want to get to a ton of Governors, a couple of KC, a Possession or two, and 4 copper and a potion (so you can keep picking up Golems). Then draw your deck with Governors (drawing the other guys deck at the same time), and play as many Possessions as you can on his newly big deck. Then use his deck to buy green (or remodel into it with Governors).

The only thing he would be able to do with your deck is buy Estates (and Golems. Golmes are a good defence if you get enough Possession density since they are dangerous to play).

Neither of us got to that textbook place, but we were both headed that direction.

It's a tough balance (and a lot of luck) to get the economy you need to get Possessions and King's Court and then trash down - and in this case the whole game was over in 11 turns - so you don't have a lot of time...

I did it this time by opening 5/2 - which let me get a Governor. And then using the Governor for draw only - I had 7 copper which was enough to get KC or Potion or more Governors. My biggest mistake here was likely buying any Pawns at all. The just give Fire Penguin the ability to get to $8.

Messy. But more fun than I thought it would be. And it really highlights how to play Possession in less extreme situations.

Ed

chesskidnate

• Salvager
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
Re: Tutorial: For the next time you play Possession+Governor+King's Court
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 11:29:04 pm »

purely going off of theory here, perhaps you should go heavy governor-KC-Possesion with 7 coins+potion so you can keep accumulating cards, then, you have one power turn when you play KC-KC-KC-Governor(3golds)-Governor(at least one gold and enough +cards) -Possession-Possession-Possession, The idea being that you can force your opponent to have the money you need to buy stuff and you will play his deck 9 times(hopefully with governors of his own) before he gets to wreck your golds into provinces with your governors.Essentially, suggesting that you want a lot of possession, a lot of governors, no+buy(the opponent can capitalize too easily), and many KC's while keeping 7 coins so they need to take money and play massive possession if they want to use your deck.
*edit to add: maybe he should've tried condensing his deck with governors trashing ability to get rid of some coppers so he could only worry about something like1 gold 2 silvers for his economy and buy more KC, possession, and less coin than he did
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:32:20 pm by chesskidnate »
Johnny psych profile- I want to prove the weak is strong and vice-versa... which means I build an engine with sticks and stones to watch it fail...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.504 seconds with 20 queries.