Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Embargo 2.0  (Read 11336 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: Embargo 2.0
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 01:15:32 pm »

I played a game on iso a while back that used Embargo on VP piles while behind in a very critical way. If councilroom were up I could easily find it because I remember the opponent (a friend of mine) but without CR I have no idea how I would find it. Is this possible without basically re-implementing CR?

Anyways, I'll try to describe it. My opponent went with a BM strategy and I went for a HoP megaturn. I embargoed provinces twice by the time he got 4 of them, and there were no alt VP available. This gave me the time to put together my HoP megaturn, and when that time came, I was able to trash 4 HoPs for Provinces (without gaining curses!) and grab some Duchies as well to edge him out for the win.

Granted, my opponent made a couple of tactical mistakes: Mountebank was in the kingdom -- I was 1P and I opened Embargo/Silver, he opened Silver/Silver (I think) and on my turn 3 I drew the embargo along with $2. I felt my only choice was to embargo Mountebank, so I did. My opponent hit $5 on his T3, thought for a minute, and bought a Lab. I bought a Mountebank and took the curse on T4. This is what made me think that a HoP deck was even viable, so I decided to go for it.

Another smaller thing was that my opponent hit a late-game lucky $8 with 4 double-embargoed Provinces left and decided to buy a Duchy over a Province. If he had taken a province instead I didn't think I could have caught up.

...still, I don't think this means that Embargoing provinces didn't play a significant role here, and I think the concept is good.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
Re: Embargo 2.0
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 02:45:09 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201210/22/game-20121022-082710-a24ab591.html

Exemplary example of early embargo affecting end-game condition. You can't cut it closer than that folks.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.226 seconds with 21 queries.