Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Jeweler  (Read 1885 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Jeweler
« on: October 09, 2012, 05:18:45 pm »
+1

So, I submitted this to rinkworks' contest, and a lot of you (rightly) pointed out its flaws.  It's very swingy.  So in an attempt to ameliorate that, here's a couple different things to try:

Jeweler
Action - $5

+1 Action
+1 Buy
While this is in play, whenever you play an Action, +$1.
(This overcomes the "needs a Village" problem, but still has the KC "here, have all the coins ever" problem.)

OR

+1 Buy
+$1 per Action you have in play.
(This might be too similar to Bank.)

OR

+1 Action
+1 Buy
Name a card you have not already named with Jewelers this turn.  If it is a Victory card, it acquires the type "Treasure" for the rest of your turn.  When you play this card, +$1.
(This might just be too weird.)
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
Re: Jeweler
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 11:49:32 pm »

These sound like early versions of the card Horn of Plenty that DXV tried.

Edit: Here. http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=120.0
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 12:04:19 am by One Armed Man »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 02:48:22 pm »
+1

Hmmm.  Another idea:

Jeweler
Action - $5

+1 Buy

Reveal and discard a card from your hand.  Either +$ equal to its cost, or +$5; whichever is less.

Sort of like a Salvager/Baron thing.  Would it be too powerful if the discard were optional?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 02:58:31 pm »
+1

Would it be too powerful if the discard were optional?
Yes.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 10:33:18 am »

Would it be too powerful if the discard were optional?
Yes.

Took me a minute to figure out why it would be.  I was interpreting the "discard being optional" as meaning that if you chose not to discard, you wouldn't reveal a card at all and would not get any coins.  I think that would be fine.  You can play it for just +1 Buy, or you can get +1 Buy AND discard a card for coins.  That said, having that choice is not necessarily that interesting.  I'd rather see the discard be mandatory, to require the player to strategize around it.  But it's not unbalanced if it's optional in this way.

But yeah, I'm with One Armed Man if what you meant was that you could reveal a card and get the coins even if you don't then discard it.  Then it's basically lots of money almost all the time, with no drawback, and extremely overpowered.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.413 seconds with 20 queries.