Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Copper, Silver, Gold  (Read 5730 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Copper, Silver, Gold
« on: October 09, 2012, 02:58:50 pm »
+2

Was thinking of a board that could reliably hold strategies for each of the three basic Treasures.  Here's my thought:

Beggar, Tunnel, Trader, Coppersmith, Feodum, Counting House, Embassy, Border Village, Worker's Village, Hunting Party

For the Copper-player: Beggar to gain Coppers, Coppersmith to make them valuable, and Counting House to scoop them all up.
For the Silver-player: Trader, Feodum and Embassy all generate Silver, and Feodum rewards you for having it.
For the Gold-player: Tunnel speaks for itself.

The other cards all serve all three: Embassy creates the necessary draw, and the discard for Tunnel.  Border Village provides the Actions, and can handily pick up components of each engine.  Worker's Village gives the oh-so-needed +Buy.  And Hunting Party can discard Tunnels and Coppers, and find that Counting House.

Other possibilities: Market Square (also gives +Buy, adds to the Gold player), Cache (for the Copper player), Gardens (mainly for the Copper player), Squire (for the Silver player and the +Buy and +Action).  Jack of all Trades also generates Silver, but would dominate too much.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
Re: Copper, Silver, Gold
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 03:01:23 pm »

Hoard for Gold or Goons for Copper? Silver strategy would be best here, in my opinion.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 03:17:32 pm »

Explorer, for the silver OR the Gold player!
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 03:42:02 pm »
+1

Mine!

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 10:00:12 pm »
+1

Governor adds a few dimensions to this; the usual best option (the gold gain) may have issues here.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 04:57:07 am »

Jack?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 06:21:46 am »

Great idea, but I do think there's a danger of laying this out with the strategies being a little too prescribed. Be sure to leave a little plenty up the imagination :).

With that in mind I think Mine is a good suggestion - it goes both ways and especially with some irregular treasure on there. I think also Counterfeit could be interesting because it could generate some decision tension between keeping your coin or doubling and trashing it. I suppose Mint would be the other obvious suggestion but then does it actually add anything to the game more than it normally would?

Embassy.....not sure how much that fits in. The one silver it gives out will be pretty negligible.

For copper, other relevant cards include Gardens of course, but then would that just turn it into a regular Gardens game?

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 07:01:49 am »
+1

Mine!

You need to learn to share, mister.
Well you *do* need a signature...

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 08:48:06 am »

Scout!

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 08:55:57 am »

It'd be nice to have an attack to get some more variety out of Beggar. Perhaps Mountebank, which would help out Copper strategies and give Trader a big boost.

Octo

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 11:07:59 am »

Cutpurse? :)

What about Thief too. Could be interesting in a 3/4P game, stealing coppers and actually using them yourself.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 02:45:51 pm »

Embassy.....not sure how much that fits in. The one silver it gives out will be pretty negligible.

Embassy is a sick Tunnel enabler.

Octo

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 06:12:42 am »

Oh yeah of course.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 06:21:32 am »

I would say :

Beggar, Tunnel, Trader, Coppersmith, Feodum, Apothecary, Embassy, Hoard, Worker's Village, Cutpurse.

The copper player is better now, because Apothecary-Coppersmith-Beggar is a sick combo.
But cutpurse is a great counter too.

We don't really need border village, because worker's village is already a source of +action and in these engines, you don't really need village anyway.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 09:17:42 am »

Cutpurse is perfect for making the beggar buying copper player decide to switch to silver.

I'd also consider making it a colony game. The "gold" player will be able to go for the colonies, but the silver player will have trouble, and the copper player will really need to use ALL the copper related cards to get there.

Not sure on whether to have shelters or not; Trader can trash overgrown estate for a silver and a card, and I don't think the necropolis is all too helpful. Let it be luck I suppose.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 04:42:37 am »

Nice set!

My instinct here though, would be straight Hunting Parties + 1 gold --> Provinces, with no frills, though Trader/Feodum is damnably tempting, and on a 5/2 opening I'd go Embassy, with a view to getting 1 or 2 Tunnels and a second Embassy instead.

Guess that makes me a gold-centred player then.

Brokoli's set is tougher, but I reckon Trader / Feodum keeping it simple for me.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.