Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Witch strategy lost to Hagglers/Golems. What gives?  (Read 1941 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Witch strategy lost to Hagglers/Golems. What gives?
« on: October 08, 2012, 03:20:59 pm »

I though I had this sewn up when I started 5/2 with Witch/Embargo, and my opponent opened Copper/Haggler.  But he managed to beat me handily.  What happened?

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201210/08/game-20121008-121849-7e59d5df.html

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: Witch strategy lost to Hagglers/Golems. What gives?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 03:40:39 pm »
+1

You let the Wookie win!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 03:41:09 pm »
+2

For one, you drew both your opening buys T5, so that erased the huge advantage you got from the opening witch. He got an earlier golem.

There was also that time you bought an embargo instead of a silver, after you already had two embargos, that was probably a bad idea. Oh, and you gained one with a haggler too, instead of as silver. Did they really help you much as opposed to silvers? The first one was obviously good, to embargo the witches, but after that, not sure. Did you have a plan for them that I'm not seeing?

Dunno. Your opponent had a few very well-timed inn purchases that set up awesome double-haggler turns - maybe you needed a second haggler and some cute inn tricks too?

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 03:52:36 pm »
+1

If you buy nothing but Gold/Venture/Silver/Province and Duchy starting on turn 3, I don't think that's far off from your optimal strategy, and I think you're losing that game approximately never (maybe a bit more often than that since you got horrible shuffle luck on turns 3-4). Skip the Potions, Golems, Hagglers, Inns, Rabbles, etc.

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 04:14:50 pm »
+1

You took yourself out of the game in Turn 18 when you played a 2nd Golem, which only found Inn and discarded everything else. Your Inn reshuffled the deck, dooming you to 3 hands without any actions. Game over.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 08:00:03 am »

When I read the title, I expected to see two very distinct decks.  Yours which would consists of a witch or two, maybe something else that might complement it but also not complicate it.  I expected the other deck to be consisting of... a lot of things. 

What I ended up seeing, is two similar decks that outside the opening, looked to have similar ideas.  So essentially what Fabian said. 

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 10:08:34 am »

Your opening draws were bad, but you compounded it by putting 4 terminals into your deck by turn 4. They were always likely to clash and you were perhaps fortunate to get the embargoes out of your deck so rapidily. As a secondary effect, your potion purchase came before you could assure draws of 4 coins plus a potion. This was due to the number of dead cards in any draw and the lack of silver.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 10:10:12 am by DG »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.181 seconds with 20 queries.