Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Coppersmith-Crossroads-Tactician  (Read 1386 times)

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
Coppersmith-Crossroads-Tactician
« on: October 07, 2012, 10:26:07 pm »
+1

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201210/07/game-20121007-192115-c483f69d.html

Pretty proud of this engine, though in this game it only double-Provinced. With a cantrip +buy (or if I had had the foresight to buy a Spice Merchant earlier) I think you could add another Coppersmith and have triple-Province turns pretty consistently (on Tac turns, of course).

I like that it's an engine that uses all 10 starting decks to make it work.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

KingsSkort

• Thief
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
Re: Coppersmith-Crossroads-Tactician
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 10:06:06 am »
+1

I played around with it a bit, and I think there's a faster strategy. Essentially:

-Open Csmith/Xroads (Tac/Xroads on 5/2)
-For future buys, prioritize:
Tacs up to 1
CSmiths up to 3
Xroads up to ~4
Possibly an 8th-9th copper and a second tac can add something.

The key is that every tactician turn is almost guaranteed to draw your whole deck, and you can potentially double province on Turn 6 because you need so little build-up.

I averaged 13 turns to pull 5 provinces in a few runs. It looks like this strategy can hang well in colony games too (I often had 24+ coins and 2 buys) and is huge with cantrip +buy. It's also quite resistant to greening, so you can grab some early duchies.

Logs:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201210/09/game-20121009-065810-d040f71c.html
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201210/09/game-20121009-065520-0ee36f07.html
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201210/09/game-20121009-065635-afaec21e.html

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:10:59 am »
+2

And buying the extra copper doesn't waste a turn, because you can pick it up when you play a Tactician.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:18:22 am by jotheonah »
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

KingsSkort

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 10:14:52 am »

Ooo, that's a nice touch.

KingsSkort

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 11:23:02 am »

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 06:04:28 am »

I think it's unsurprising that Coppersmith shines in engines that can make big hands "the hard way" (by drawing - i.e., "disappearing village - draw to X" and Scrying Pool engines are no good), play multiple Coppersmiths and have the +Buy to take advantage of them. The fun part is getting the ratios right. You need a lot of +Card, and just enough +Action to play your Coppersmiths and +Buy to leverage what you've got. Any surplus is wasted, since the plan is to draw huge portions (if not all) of your deck reliably, so that "insurance" is not needed, and it comes at opportunity cost of more draw cards and/or Coppersmiths. And you want the Villages to be cheap, because you're going to pick most of them up early at Silver opportunity cost, and you really want it to be only Silver opportunity cost and not draw-card opportunity cost. And hey, picking up a couple later with spare +Buy can't hurt, so why not maximize the chance that you can afford to do so :)

Tactician is one of Coppersmith's best friends for all these reasons - 5 cards, 1 action and 1 buy is a pretty nice ratio, and you put it all together at once. I'm wary about buying a second Tactician here unless your deck gets really massive because you're not going to be building a double-Tac engine (unless you also have Black Market?). Wharf and Council Room are also great for similar reasons. On the Village side, Crossroads is, the first time, two +Action for a $2 card, and it helps you cope with greening too. So that's a great pairing as well. I'm skeptical that you really want as many as 4 of them in this engine, but it can hardly hurt if there's nothing better to buy, I guess.

Another example of Coppersmith, this time with Native Village and Wharf:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/29/game-20121229-094412-f4813732.html

I didn't even buy extra Copper here, although I'm pretty certain that I should ;)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.453 seconds with 20 queries.