Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Keep: Keeping your cards in your hand  (Read 1681 times)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
Keep: Keeping your cards in your hand
« on: October 07, 2012, 12:26:30 am »

I've been messing around with the 'return this action card to your hand' idea that lots of people have tried, and I ended up creating this card:

Keep
Action/Reaction
Cost: 5

+1 Card
+3 Actions

When you play an Action, you may reveal and discard this card from your hand. If you do put the played Action card into your hand.

Keep is pretty much any card you want, as long as you've already played one. It would be horrible to implement on Iso,with the little choice of 'to put in hand' or 'not' coming up whenever you play an Action, but IRL, it shouldnt be too bad.

The Vanilla bonus is one I've been trying to put on a card, and it fit perfectly here.

Thoughts?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: Keep: Keeping your cards in your hand
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 12:48:14 am »

I've been messing around with the 'return this action card to your hand' idea that lots of people have tried, and I ended up creating this card:

Keep
Action/Reaction
Cost: 5

+1 Card
+3 Actions

When you play an Action, you may reveal and discard this card from your hand. If you do put the played Action card into your hand.

Keep is pretty much any card you want, as long as you've already played one.

So, it's Throne Room? ...The reaction is actually substantially worse than Throne Room, since it's only Throne Room if you have actions remaining; playing Smithy and reacting with Keep is pointless. Keep synergizes with itself to some extent in that respect, though—if you have two copies, you can play one for the actions, and use the other as a minus-one-action Throne Room.

It has other corner-case interactions which are kind of nifty but get hairy in the rules: you can use it to save your self-trashers (Feast, Embargo, etc.—the big one is Death Cart, which this could be a power combo with for that reason) from the trash, as well as Processioned cards, via the lose-track principle.

Tracking the effects of Kept cards would be very confusing—especially durations.

Good name.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 12:57:59 am »

Hmm yeah,I guess it is a Throne Room varient.

Thanks for your thoughts, do you think it would be good at 4 as a Village/Throne Room mix? Or are the self trashers enough to keep (haha punny)  it at 5?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 01:30:44 am »

I think the self-trashers are enough of a fringe case that they shouldn't affect the cost. I guess $4 is probably the right cost for this card as it stands—+1 card, +3 actions could stand as a $4 card on its own, of course, but I don't know if it's enough stronger than Village that adding 'crippled Throne Room' to it overpowers it. My real worry with this is that it seems basically unplayable in a real-life game of Dominion, just because of the difficulty it introduces for keeping track of how many coins and buys and so forth you have.

T-hawk

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 01:43:03 am »
+2

It goes infinite with any card-drawing non-terminal.  Say Market.  Get your entire deck in hand, by whatever means.  Play the Market, reveal and discard this card, returning Market to hand.  Market draws this card.  Repeat to infinite buys and money.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 01:59:21 am »

That would be a problem.

What about changing the wording to: 'set aside, discard at the end of clean-up'

Or something along those lines.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.188 seconds with 20 queries.