Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: King of the Slums  (Read 2150 times)

Captain Stupendous

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
King of the Slums
« on: October 06, 2012, 03:18:36 pm »

Hello everyone, I've had several custom cards bouncing around in my head for a while now, and I'll probably post a whole custom set on here eventually. For now though, I'd love to hear feedback regarding a card I recently came up with. It hasn't been playtested at all, so I'd be interested to hear how balanced you think it is, as well as any ways to make it better. Also, I'm not that experienced with typing up mock cards, so I'm sorry if the wording is a little rough.

King of the Slums
Action-Looter $5
You may gain up to three ruins, putting them into your hand. Choose up to three ruins from your hand. Play the first one three times, the second one twice, and the third one once.

My main concerns were that I wasn't sure how high to price it, since the cost of gaining ruins is pretty steep, but it can be a terrific card to play. Also, I worried that it might prove to be too strong of a counter to cultist/marauder attacks. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:23:11 pm by Captain Stupendous »

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
Re: King of the Slums
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 03:54:56 pm »

I like this. At first glance, I thought you had to get 3 ruins, but then I realize getting one or two is usually the better call. It is a really good counter to those two cards, but I do not think it is soo much that it makes the games less interesting. Could the wording be improved so that you know what you will be gaining past the first one?

petrie911

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 04:27:14 pm »

Perhaps "Look at the top 3 ruins.  You may gain any number of them, putting them in your hand."

I like this idea.  Eventually he starts powering himself and you don't need to gain anymore, and he gives you a pretty slick effect that's probably worth junking your own deck.

Oh, also, he needs to be a Looter.  Otherwise the ruins pile won't be there.

Captain Stupendous

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 06:27:44 pm »

How could I forget to add Looter?!?! Oh, well. Thanks guys, I'm glad you liked the idea! I'm hesitant to allow the player to choose which ruins out of three that they want to gain from the pile, as I feel that this might make the King overpowered, especially in the end game. If you pick one of these up in the end game instead of a duchy, when you're unlikely to see any gained ruins very many times, then you can just abuse the ruin gaining effect, basically buying a card that has the potential ability of +5 cards, +1 action. I feel that gaining ruins from the pile has to be risky to offset the fact that gaining ruins from the pile doesn't hurt you at all on the turn you do it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 08:04:13 pm by Captain Stupendous »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 12:35:49 am »

You may gain up to three ruins, putting them into your hand.

Can you gain one, see what the next is, and then decide whether to gain it? Or do you have to decide how many you want before you can see what they are?

Captain Stupendous

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 12:37:11 am »

I would say that you can gain one, then choose whether to gain another one, then choose whether to gain a third one.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 12:53:08 am by Captain Stupendous »

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 01:27:24 am »

are you sure this is balanced at $5?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Captain Stupendous

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 09:13:27 am »

No, I'm not sure. Like I said in my first post, I haven't playtested it at all and I think it might be worth $6 or possibly (but probably not) even $7. It's hard to gauge how much gaining ruins hurts you, especially since this card makes ruins not nearly as bad for you as they normally are. What do you think it should cost and/or what tweaks does it need to make it balanced?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.387 seconds with 20 queries.