Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Goko's Adventure Mode: Some Thoughts for Improvement  (Read 4012 times)

sandstorm

• Baron
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
Goko's Adventure Mode: Some Thoughts for Improvement
« on: October 01, 2012, 09:11:06 pm »
+4

So I recently made myself a goko account and have been trying out the adventure mode.  I started out thinking that the zaps were sort of interesting and different.  The plot line seemed a little bit dark (Trying to figure out who killed your parents?! Isn't this a family game lol).  And then inevitably the zaps began to feel dull and repetitive.  That's when I remembered that I had played a dominion campaign before that had seemed so much more interesting.  It was part of a program created by someone named 'jatill'.  I'm not sure if it ever got updated since I downloaded back in 2010 shortly after Prosperity came out.

Here is a brief summary of how the campaign in jatill's version worked:

Chapter 1, Part 1
Plot: You work in a family bakery that has been passed down for generations.  The evil Duke of the land has raised taxes for his latest conquest and you have been conscripted for his army.  Instead of joining the tyrant you make a run for it without a single copper to your name.  You run through the village trying to get some cash.

Goal - Accumulate 45 coins worth of treasure before the game ends

Starting Conditions - Your deck has 0 cards to begin.  Only 4 kingdom cards are available for purchase Village, Smithy, Militia, Market.  You play a simple opponent who starts with the regular 7 coppers and 3 estates.  There are only 2 estates/duchies/provinces in the supply.

Chapter 1, Part 2
Plot: You escape with loads of treasure but realize you will never be safe with the Duke around.  You plan to use your treasure to overthrow him.  You head to a nearby town to buy the necessary supplies when you are suddenly ambushed by thieves.

Goal - Purchase a province. You lose if you have no treasure in your deck

Starting Conditions - You start with no estates and lots of treasure including silver and gold.  You are facing 3 opponents who all start with thieves in their decks.  There are only 5 kingdom cards available Woodcutter, Workshop, Village, Thief, and Adventurer.

Chapter 1, Part 3
Plot: You have fended off the thieves and acquired a province of your own.  Unfortunately, the thieves have left you nearly broke and you are forced to sell your province to the local nobility.  In exchange all you got was 7 coppers and 3 estates.  Worst of all, the other local nobles noticed your transaction and fear you will challenge their territorial claims.  They decide to deal with you now.

Goal - Acquire more victory points than your opponents

Starting Conditions - You are facing 3 opponents.  Everyone starts with 7 coppers and 3 estates.  It is a full 10 card kingdom including Witch but the victory card piles contain only 8 copies.

And that is merely the beginning!  It is a very interesting and varied campaign.  Later on objectives become things like "finish the game with at least 12 ships in your deck before the game ends" and "hide gold on 3 different islands".  Eventually it gives you the objective but you are free to pick which 10 cards will be in the kingdom.  In one case you face 3 opponents and must finish with more points than all 3 combined.  There are almost 40 provinces in the supply and they only cost 1 coin each in that scenario.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that zaps are kind of cool but, Goko, you aren't even scratching the surface of what is possible when it comes to making a campaign.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
Re: Goko's Adventure Mode: Some Thoughts for Improvement
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 08:29:56 am »

Someone else had mentioned those adventures (and I parroted it), but I'm really glad that you gave descriptive examples. I was unable to provide a whole lot.

But you're right that those adventures are more interesting than the current implementation.
A man has no signature

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 11:11:29 am »

Yeah, they sound great. Makes me think that it would have been a good idea for Goko to crowd source at least some of their adventures.... harness the creativity of the fans.... maybe have some kind of competition to come up with adventures...?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 02:07:15 pm »

maybe have some kind of competition to come up with adventures...?

That would be awesome. I think if they announced something like that, they'd get a ton of good submissions.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 04:01:58 pm »

maybe have some kind of competition to come up with adventures...?

That would be awesome. I think if they announced something like that, they'd get a ton of good submissions.

It's not too late for them to do that.

Hell, maybe even give Gokoins (or whatever they're called) to the people whose ideas are chosen. They get free labor; fans get free cards. It's a win.
A man has no signature

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 04:31:22 pm »
+2

I am pretty sure they want fans to design campaigns, especially ones that mix sets, since the uh main ones do not. I don't know when that will start; not soon.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.988 seconds with 21 queries.