Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ravnica Magic  (Read 2484 times)

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
Ravnica Magic
« on: October 01, 2012, 07:21:35 am »

Return to Ravnica...V/LA today and tomorrow.

How was it guys? Whom did you play, how did you place? :D

I was playing Rakdos with blue splash. There were 25 players, we played 5 games to determine top 8. I got 3 wins and 2 loses, placing me 12th - which I find very decent as it was my first time building a deck (ever :D).

Was so so very fun.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 05:57:52 pm by theory »

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
Re: Ravinca Magic
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 11:13:00 am »

Return to Ravnica...V/LA today and tomorrow.

How was it guys? Whom did you play, how did you place? :D

I was playing Rakdos with blue splash. There were 25 players, we played 5 games to determine top 8. I got 3 wins and 2 loses, placing me 12th - which I find very decent as it was my first time building a deck (ever :D).

Was so so very fun.

I played 4 events
Azorious 3-0 start ended up 3-2, My deck was strong I would have been 4-1 but I made one bad mulligan/keep choice
Rakdos 3-2 again had an alright deck but was paired against a suprior version of my own deck
Selesnya 4-0 drew for 1st place 4-0-1

2HG with my girlfriend I played Izzet she played Golgari.
2-2

The first event (saturday 10am) had 83 players
the second event (saturday 4pm) had 60 players
the third event (sunday 10am) had 64 players
the fourth event (sunday 4pm) had 30 teams
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:14:12 am by Insomniac »
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 04:16:46 pm »

I played 2 events.

3-1-1 as Izzet.  Good enough for 6th out of 30 or so.  Cracked some solid Golgari cards (incl two Loltrolls), but those were completely off color for me.

1-3-0 as Selesnya.  Pulled Niv-Mizzet... Again off color and I didn't nearly have enough support in blue/red for him.  Great for my Niv-Mizzet (original) EDH deck though.

Golgari seemed to be stupidly stronger than the other decks.  They had ran out of Golgari both prereleases I went to though (although I would have picked Izzet for the first one anyway)
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 04:21:07 pm »

I played 2 events.

3-1-1 as Izzet.  Good enough for 6th out of 30 or so.  Cracked some solid Golgari cards (incl two Loltrolls), but those were completely off color for me.

1-3-0 as Selesnya.  Pulled Niv-Mizzet... Again off color and I didn't nearly have enough support in blue/red for him.  Great for my Niv-Mizzet (original) EDH deck though.

Golgari seemed to be stupidly stronger than the other decks.  They had ran out of Golgari both prereleases I went to though (although I would have picked Izzet for the first one anyway)

I didn't lose to a single Golgari deck at prerelease, played against a bunch as they were the fan favourite, my pools weren't even that amazing, I would say the guilds are pretty evenly balanced but it's sealed so bombs win in the presence of equal skill.

Azorious deck didn't really have many bombs just some detain and a d Sphere.

Rakdos was my 4 mythic pack, opened 2 armada wurms 1 rakdos return and 1 jarad, not enough green/white support for wurms not enough green support for jarad. (I don't double splash often)

Selesnya was my dream pool for that guild, 3 cards that make tokens + the land, a buttload of populate and fog populate (druids deliverance), martial law, growing ranks, the +3/+3 anthem, a bit of removal, and wayfaring temple (pt = number of creatures, when you deal damage to a player populate)
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 04:24:54 pm »

Guys, why don't we split this talk into it's own thread in "Other Games."? That way we can keep the V/LA thread clear and other M:TG players who don't hang out in Forum Games can get in on the fun, too.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 05:24:16 pm »

I've pulled Armada Wurm foiled!, Chromatic Lantern, W and other were crap rares like Havoc Festivalx2. I had decentish playpull with 3 Hellhole Flairers, Cackler, Shred-Freak, decent number of removals and many other goodies.

Selesnya won where I played (He did have Loxodon Smither and 2 Guildmages that populate - he had 20x 3/3 tokens in final) - it was crazy. Cheap populate like Fog populate and artifact/enchantement destriction populate is just so strong.

Glooble

• Bishop
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
Re: Ravnica Magic
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 06:06:53 pm »

I played Selesnya, but ended up going Bant because I pulled Jace, Skymark Roc, and 2 Azorius gates. Won two, lost two. Managed to populate the 8/8 elementals with Growing ranks every time I won.

I also won a Selesnya mirror match with Slitherhead of all things - turns out when you're both populating 8/8 elementals, making one a 9/9 can be enough to break the stalemate.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 06:11:09 pm »

Heh, populate is so freaking strong and annoying. Pulling 8/8 for 2 mana in pretty much every case results in win (mostly with your opponent throw cards down coinciding) .

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 06:11:14 pm »

4-0 with Golgari.

2 Deathrite Shamans were the heroes.

Opened Vraska (man, I type Vriska every time) in my prize packs!
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 06:19:21 pm »

Oh, and favourite RTR card:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=253562

Won me the almost lost game when I drew it on last turn.  :-*

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 07:33:10 pm »
+1

Oops, I moved this to the wrong forum.

TheMunch

• Swindler
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 09:52:22 pm »

I opened Selesnya.  I had bigger plans post rotation for the land than I did for corpsejack menace (despite how much I want to build a hydra/corpsejack deck, I think GW aggro will be stronger with call of the conclave and loxodon smiter).  Unfortunately I went 2-2 but should have done a lot better if I didn't get as land flooded as I did.  I pulled an Armada Wurm and a Captain of the guard which should have done me work, but alas you can only play the cards you draw.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 20 queries.