Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Apothecary = Best leapfrog to Tournament?  (Read 1958 times)

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
Apothecary = Best leapfrog to Tournament?
« on: October 01, 2012, 04:19:56 pm »

I've noticed before that Apothecary can get to the first Province really quickly - at the expense of not doing so well with the second. But in a Tournament game, the first Province is all-important. It worked out pretty darn well. I'm sure Ambassadoring the Estates away helped a lot too.

Not sure how much of this was my opponent's play; I don't love a Sab opening on a 5/2, on the other hand it hit me pretty brutally.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201210/01/game-20121001-131625-97643eec.html

"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
Re: Apothecary = Best leapfrog to Tournament?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 04:39:30 pm »

I think strictly going tournament bounces you to provinces faster that said saboteur is gonna slow down just about any tournament province method. but I think MOUNTEBANK is the opening for 5/2
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 04:43:30 pm »

But I think the coppers from Mountebank would have powered up my Apothecaries, just like the early Sab hits did.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 10:34:32 pm »

And he would have just Ambassadored the Curses back at 'em.
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 10:42:00 pm »

Apothecary also helps by pulling Coppers out of your draw pile, making you more likely to draw any pair of non-Copper cards (in particular Tournament and Province) together. Or its sorting ability can be used with another drawing card (like an extra Apothecary or Tournament) to get the needed card into your current hand.

Something like Baron can also help you get a Province fast, but it doesn't help you once you have the Province, which is what makes Apothecary much better in this role. I'm still not sure it's the best. It does require you to buy a Potion, which means you can't open with a Tournament or $4 trasher.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:44:54 pm by HiveMindEmulator »

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 03:09:08 am »

Wishing Well/Coppersmith is the canonical "I want to buy a Province ASAP" opening. Wishing Well/Death Cart looks solid too. Actually Death Cart/Silver  is probably even better than anything with Baron.

On 5/2 Tactician/Secret Chamber is obviously good. Rebuild maybe? With Duchess or Beggar to get more ASAP.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 03:10:39 am by ycz6 »

Dulkal

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 03:44:17 am »

Wishing Well/Coppersmith is the canonical "I want to buy a Province ASAP" opening. Wishing Well/Death Cart looks solid too. Actually Death Cart/Silver  is probably even better than anything with Baron.

Dunno. I've been bitten bad by the on-gain of Death Cart. Two ruins in the early game is quite a handicap.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 12:54:14 am »

Apothecary/ambassador is so strong. It lets you break the rule about  the dreaded accce hand happily.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.086 seconds with 20 queries.