Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card idea with wierd interaction with Thief, Fortress, ect. Fortress-maker  (Read 1532 times)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile

Here's the card idea:

Sentry, $3
Action/Duration
This turn and next turn you may trash a card in hand.
While this is in play you may immediately gain any card sent into the trash.

-----
Rule clarification: for purposes of gaining cards sent to the trash, sentry trumps all other cards (since it intercepts on the way to the trash rather than taking from the trash). When two sentries are in play, they activate in turn order (so if it's your turn and you trash a card with sentry, you can gain it right back before the player to your left has the ability to grab it)
-----

Thoughts?
The basic parts of this card are simple. It's a relatively weak trasher, but allows you to spread out the trashing (to increase the odds of hitting a curse). It's other benefit is a nice defense against trashing attacks (thief, Sab, knights, etc). It also let's you have fun with your own trash for benefit cards for some fun combos.

It may need sprucing up. Maybe +1 action?
Or maybe make it:
$5 card, +1 action, and the gained cards go directly into your hand? (makes any card into a fortress...)

What do y'all think?

Ed

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
+1

Definitely needs a +Action.  This would be a Lighthouse variant.  Using it to steal Fortresses would really be more of a gimmick - I'd use it to protect

Never mind.  This card should never be.  Swindler and Saboteur make it utterly horrid.  There's a reason why Rogue makes you wait a turn before you gain the trashed card.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ednever

• Minion
    • View Profile

Definitely needs a +Action.  This would be a Lighthouse variant.  Using it to steal Fortresses would really be more of a gimmick - I'd use it to protect

Never mind.  This card should never be.  Swindler and Saboteur make it utterly horrid.  There's a reason why Rogue makes you wait a turn before you gain the trashed card.

Help me understand. Here's how I see it happening with swindler:

P3 has a sentry out

P1 plays swindler
P2 turns up a silver and trashes it
- p3 can gain the silver if they like
- p2 gains a card costing $3 of p1s choice
P3 turns up a witch and trashes it
- p3 may gain back the witch
- p3 gains a $5 card of p1s choice

Is the issue that now p1 has an incentive not to play the swindler? Which means he doesn't buy the swindler, which means there is no reason to buy the sentry (the reason donlald gives for not having defense cards that hurt the attacker?)

Or have I missed the point entirely?

Ed

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile

I think the point is,

P1 has a sentry out
P1 plays Swindler
P2 turns up a Province and trashes it
-p1 gains a Province
-p2 gains a replacement Province or Peddler, but in either case P1 got a free Province

Or replace Province with (insert desirable card here)
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
+1

I think the point is,

P1 has a sentry out
P1 plays Swindler
-p1 gains a Province
-p2 gains a replacement Province or Peddler, but in either case P1 got a free Province

Yes.

The only way to make this workable is if it were decided in turn order from the player trashing a card, so you can rescue a card a Saboteur makes you trash.  This, to me, would make sense flavor-wise.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ednever

• Minion
    • View Profile

I think the point is,

P1 has a sentry out
P1 plays Swindler
-p1 gains a Province

Yes.

The only way to make this workable is if it were decided in turn order from the player trashing a card, so you can rescue a card a Saboteur makes you trash.  This, to me, would make sense flavor-wise.

Ah. Makes sense.

Not sure if the order saves it. You still have the problem of the swindler-sentry combo. Which would basically turn Sab and swindler into killer cards - and force the other player to pick up sentries just to protect from it.

Maybe that works if sentry is $2 and gives a +1 action like lighthouse. It lets both players spam them if they like. It would dramatically REDUCE the power of Sab/swindler except on the turns you didn't get it out. On those turns the other guy's sentry grabs things from you.

Maybe that would work after all...

It just dramatically changed the strategy space when trash-attackers are on the board. And changes things a lot when trash-for-benefit are on the board.

I'll try to play some irl games and see how it plays. I'm intrigued.

Ed
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.751 seconds with 21 queries.