Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How did I manage to win this game?  (Read 1194 times)

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
How did I manage to win this game?
« on: September 28, 2012, 04:37:40 pm »

I just played this game: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/28/game-20120928-131821-ea2d82ce.html

Supply:
$6
Border Village

$5
City
Market
Mountebank
Tribute

$4
Horse Traders
Pirate Ship
Tournament
Young Witch

$3
Ambassador (bane)

$2
Pearl Diver

I got 5/2 and my opponent got 4/3.  I figured I was a dead duck with both Ambassador and Tournament on the board.  So I went for Mountebank, figuring that even if the Curses would come back to me, I had to gamble that the attack would slow him down enough for me to pick up an Ambassador before the second reshuffle and try to catch up.

I pulled out a victory, and it wasn't close really: 31-14.  When the game was over he asked, "How did you get your deck to work?"  And I said, "... I'm actually not quite sure!"

So, what do you think I (unknowingly) did right here?  I think a huge part of it actually was the sheer luck that a Tournament game sometimes requires--I bought my first Province on T14, and got the first prize (Followers) on T15.  I mean, that's really, really lucky especially considering he bought his first Province on T9 and had more Tournaments than me, both at the time and at the end of the game.

But anyway, I can only see four apparent reasons why I was able to win:
- my Mountebank gamble did seem to pay off--I think I did slow him down a fair amount
- he didn't play his Ambassador that well (on T3 he had Amb-CCCE and returned the Estate, buying a Silver.  He should have focused on the Coppers, especially since I opened Mountebank)
- my really extremely lucky Tournament hit, which let me get Followers
- he got the second prize and went for... Diadem?  He had some level-2 Cities and a couple Border Villages, but still.  Seemed like a really weird decision to me, I would have gone Steed or maybe Princess at that point.

Do you see any other key factors though?

polonkus

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
Re: How did I manage to win this game?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 05:09:10 pm »

Yeah, your opponent was an idiot.
I didn't bother reading the whole thing, but I saw two early turns where he chose to return a curse over estate, let alone 2X copper.
This user is banned.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: How did I manage to win this game?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 07:18:50 pm »

He also bought Tournament for $5 instead of Market.

Just, in general, really bad. Turn 3 Silver should have been returning 2x Copper. You can get away with returning Copper a lot here because Tournament and Market are cantrip money. Turn 7 Gold should be BV -> something else (maybe a Mountebank). And so on.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 07:20:12 pm by dondon151 »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.