Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wharf +Merchant Ship= Harbor  (Read 1373 times)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
Wharf +Merchant Ship= Harbor
« on: September 22, 2012, 12:57:08 am »

This card is from the same set Im creating as Trebuchet.

Harbor
Cost: 5
Action/Duration
+ 2 Cards
+1$
At the start of your next turn,
+1 Card, +1$

I don't know why the mixing of +Cards and +$ is such a bad idea. I just makes it good in both BM and Engine decks.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 02:46:41 am by Archetype »

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
Re: Wharf +Merchant Ship= Harbor
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 03:49:40 am »

I think the argument you'd find against cards + coins is that it makes for dull play. As noted, its always good. I actually don't think that prevents it from being a workable card, though. This type of straight-forward concept begs to be tested out of stats curiosity alone.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 10:40:15 am »

This card is also extremely strong. The base is about as strong as Smithy. The other part is a Caravan and a delayed Peddler, all in one.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 02:07:28 pm »

The problem with making +Cards and +$ mixed in a terminal is that you benefit only BM decks, while dead draw benefits both more evenly.  +1$ simulates drawing a card from your BM deck.  For an engine deck, +1$ simulates drawing treasure for an action deck, and suddenly your actions and dead draw cards aren't lining up now.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 12:56:53 pm »

Concur that this is too strong.  The first- and next-turn effects are both (substantially) better than Merchant Ship's corresponding effects.  Additionally, the first-turn effect is better than Wharf's, which is already a power card.

But on principle, yeah, I don't see any philosophical reason why you can't mix +Cards and +$.  I agree with popsofctown that such cards get more out of money decks than engine decks.  And I can appreciate the argument that all one or the other forces players to commit to a strategy instead of trying to hedge his bets.  But I also don't see that as a huge problem if that's specifically what you're going for, or if you're interested in feeding a sort of hybrid engine/money deck, which sometimes happens.  That bias is muted in a Duration card, too, where the next-turn draw is non-terminal.

But I think the only way to mix these bonuses in the way you want is this:

Harbor
$5 - Action
Now and at the start of your next turn:  +1 Card, +$1.

Following the by-no-means-always-applicable Dominion math of vanilla bonuses (non-terminal +Cards > +$ > terminal +Cards), this is a card whose first-turn effect is weaker than Merchant Ship but whose next-turn effect is stronger than Merchant Ship's.  Wharf is a little muddier to compare:  it's stronger than Harbor on the second turn, for sure.  It's also probably slightly stronger on the first turn, though that's a much closer match.  But Dominion math breaks down a little with Wharf, as it's so unusually strong for its cost tier.  Bottom line, I don't see any grievous problems with this variation of your idea.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.877 seconds with 21 queries.