Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Goko is making me forget how to play Dominion!  (Read 4378 times)

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
Goko is making me forget how to play Dominion!
« on: September 22, 2012, 12:17:39 am »
+1

I actually kinda like the graphical presentation, but it looks like every other card game on the internet now, so I approach it like every other card game on the internet and just kinda buy stuff I feel like without thinking super hard about anything.  I am hardly a great player but either serfbot is surprisingly awesome or the transition to goko has set my ability back about 10 iso levels.  :(
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
Re: Goko is making me forget how to play Dominion!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 01:16:01 am »
+2

Have you tried playing IRL? Goko is pretty close to that. Cards with pictures lying around in piles. Cards added to your hand by drawing. The gamestate changing when someone moves cards, not just text popping up.

But to be serious, I don't experience this at all.

Dulkal

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 04:22:28 am »

I had the opposite problem on isotropic for the longest time, and still do to some extent. On the other hand, I make mistakes IRL that I wouldn't make on isotropic. It seems my 'feel' doesn't carry across very well.

Goko feels much closer to the actual card game. I actually have a feel for my deck state here, something that I still lack on isotropic.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 09:40:43 am »
+1

I like the Goko iteration, but it's still a little too easy to screw certain things up, and I want my Hinterlands and Cornucopia.  I want to use Highways to Workshop Provinces, dammit.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 12:36:15 pm »

I had the opposite problem on isotropic for the longest time, and still do to some extent. On the other hand, I make mistakes IRL that I wouldn't make on isotropic. It seems my 'feel' doesn't carry across very well.

Goko feels much closer to the actual card game. I actually have a feel for my deck state here, something that I still lack on isotropic.

Same here. I actually find it easier to track my deck state on Goko because I am a more visual person and seeing actual cards helps me better. I would still like a point counter though.

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 01:04:22 pm »

I am so used to isotropic, it is hard to keep up with what the bot is doing...especially on fast and very fast! I'll have to start actually paying attention to what my opponent is playing!

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 01:54:09 pm »

Seriously, I am losing probably the majority of games to bots.  What's wrong with me?
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 02:07:43 pm »

Seriously, I am losing probably the majority of games to bots.  What's wrong with me?

Once you figure out how the bots play, you will kick their asses all the time. When I was in the original beta, I thought they were hard at first, but the thing about the bots is that well, they play like bots, and therefore, their plays are predictable.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 02:26:15 pm »

The temptation against the bots is to overplay too many kingdoms when you could take your chances with mirrored play. Sometimes a torturer with treasure is pretty effective and the bots will play that simple strategy again and again. You can't rely on the isotropic point counter and can lose information on the size of discard piles and other areas too. The bots also tend to finish off come cursing games quite well and this is a problem since those games can give you tough draws anyway.

As soon as you move to three or four player games against the bots you face plenty more problems as you can't easily control piles, key cards, or the endgame. If the bots have a shared strategy, which they often do, they will dictate the pace of the game. You have to play cards like cities with the knowledge that the opponents are bots.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.304 seconds with 20 queries.