Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Best strategy on this board?  (Read 4881 times)

JustANewPlayer

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Best strategy on this board?
« on: September 19, 2012, 11:50:53 am »

I recently taught someone how to play Dominion at my school's gaming club, using Intrigue only, and after getting the base cards out, told them to pick any 10 piles. The board ended up being:

Courtyard
Great Hall
Shanty Town
Bridge
Wishing Well
Steward
Coppersmith
Scout
Swindler
Conspirator

Since my opponent was new to the game, I purposely avoided playing Big Money, and instead played a Shanty Town/Courtyard/Bridge engine, and won 26-19 after 3-piling those cards, though I'm sure Big Money would have been stronger. I'm curious, though, is there any strategy that could beat Big Money?

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
Re: Best strategy on this board?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 12:21:59 pm »

I recently taught someone how to play Dominion at my school's gaming club, using Intrigue only, and after getting the base cards out, told them to pick any 10 piles. The board ended up being:

Courtyard
Great Hall
Shanty Town
Bridge
Wishing Well
Steward
Coppersmith
Scout
Swindler
Conspirator

Since my opponent was new to the game, I purposely avoided playing Big Money, and instead played a Shanty Town/Courtyard/Bridge engine, and won 26-19 after 3-piling those cards, though I'm sure Big Money would have been stronger. I'm curious, though, is there any strategy that could beat Big Money?

Definitely. One of the obvious ones is a Conspirator engine; you've got Great Hall, Wishing Well and Shanty Town, any of which can set up Conspirator nicely.

(Also, Big Money will get killed on this board by just about any strategy involving Swindler. You can't effectively run Big Money when your Coppers get turned into Curses and your Silvers get turned into Shanty Towns/Great Halls/Wishing Wells.)
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:24:44 pm »

I purposely avoided playing Big Money, and instead played a Shanty Town/Courtyard/Bridge engine, and won 26-19 after 3-piling those cards, though I'm sure Big Money would have been stronger.

This sounds like a weird situation to three-pile on. Why didn't you exhaust the Provinces?

That aside, I figured at least one player would use Swindler to give out some curses early game. Another strategy (not totally separate) might be to use Steward to trash coppers/curses/estates down, maybe picking up a shanty town for +actions and bridge for +buy, and then focus on conspirators, maybe supported by wishing-wells and/or shanty towns. Finally, that might lead to more bridges.

Then again, I'm a level 28...anybody better want to weigh in? I'd be interested to see what you think.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Jack Rudd.

JustANewPlayer

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 12:33:31 pm »

Courtyard
Great Hall
Shanty Town
Bridge
Wishing Well
Steward
Coppersmith
Scout
Swindler
Conspirator

Definitely. One of the obvious ones is a Conspirator engine; you've got Great Hall, Wishing Well and Shanty Town, any of which can set up Conspirator nicely.

(Also, Big Money will get killed on this board by just about any strategy involving Swindler. You can't effectively run Big Money when your Coppers get turned into Curses and your Silvers get turned into Shanty Towns/Great Halls/Wishing Wells.)

I did buy a few Conspirators, but I guess I didn't quite realize their full potential.

I purposely avoided playing Big Money, and instead played a Shanty Town/Courtyard/Bridge engine, and won 26-19 after 3-piling those cards, though I'm sure Big Money would have been stronger.

This sounds like a weird situation to three-pile on. Why didn't you exhaust the Provinces?

That aside, I figured at least one player would use Swindler to give out some curses early game. Another strategy (not totally separate) might be to use Steward to trash coppers/curses/estates down, maybe picking up a shanty town for +actions and bridge for +buy, and then focus on conspirators, maybe supported by wishing-wells and/or shanty towns. Finally, that might lead to more bridges.

Then again, I'm a level 28...anybody better want to weigh in? I'd be interested to see what you think.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Jack Rudd.

I 3-piled the game because my opponent was also buying some of those cards, and knew that I was in the lead. My opponent tried the typical new-player "buy everything" mentality, but neglected to buy Swindler, and I didn't because I forgot how it interacted with Coppers. In hindsight, though, it probably would be very strong here.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 12:34:25 pm »
+4

I'd probably go with double swindler madness - and go where the game takes you.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 12:51:02 pm »
+1

Hmm.  I would probably open Swindler/Steward, get all the Great Halls when I hit $3, picking up a couple Shanty Towns, and Conspirators and a couple Bridges, maybe a Scout.  Then just attack the Provinces.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 01:46:28 pm »

The swindler is the key card here. There's no point tailoring a fine deck with courtyards and conspirators only to find they've been turned into estates and coppersmiths. The coppersmith won't work either once the coppers have been turned to curses. The best cards in the kingdom will be gold and swindlers.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 01:54:14 pm »
+1

The swindler is the key card here. There's no point tailoring a fine deck with courtyards and conspirators only to find they've been turned into estates and coppersmiths. The coppersmith won't work either once the coppers have been turned to curses. The best cards in the kingdom will be gold and swindlers.

Swindler doesn't work quite that fast.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 05:34:24 pm »

Hmm.  I would probably open Swindler/Steward, get all the Great Halls when I hit $3, picking up a couple Shanty Towns, and Conspirators and a couple Bridges, maybe a Scout.  Then just attack the Provinces.
Why take bunches of Great Halls? I suppose they set up Conspirator, but then you have a Conspirator deck with no villages, 2 terminals, no drawing above 5, and no +buys. Also, Wishing Well is better.

If you think Swindler is dominant, probably go BM+Swindler. Else set up a trashing strategy, ignore Swindler at first, and build a Conspirator engine with Bridges. Wishing Well might put the latter over the top, but the former is tough to beat, and the latter will end up with some Coppersmiths, has limited draw power and limited actions, and is severely damaged by losing Bridges.

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 12:56:08 pm »

Solid strategy: Swindler + BM

Fun strategy: Steward (+ Swindler?) into Shanty Towns, Wishing Wells, Great Halls, Conspirators and Bridges.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 03:07:34 pm »

Would be fun to play 8 Bridges and Swindle a Province into a Curse.

It'll probably work once in every 20 games, but it'll be so worth it. :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 03:10:50 pm »

Would be fun to play 8 Bridges and Swindle a Province into a Curse.

It'll probably work once in every 20 games, but it'll be so worth it. :)

I'd be surprised if it even worked that often.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 03:27:42 pm »

Just the presence of swindler makes it hard to get 8 of anything, much less 8 terminals and the other pieces needed to play them on a single turn.

Highway is way better for that kind of shenanigan anyway.

And also you've just played 8 bridges, why are you not just ending the game now?
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 03:34:16 pm »

And also you've just played 8 bridges, why are you not just ending the game now?

Because your opponent already has more than half the available points?

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 09:41:37 pm »

"Why did you even buy 8 Bridges?"
"I was bored. Shut up."

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 11:52:07 pm »

Scout is obv. strong here.  ;D
A man on a mission.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 07:34:37 am »

Because you're trying to convince the others that this is a great game so you keep on buying regular kingdom cards and aim to never buy a Province and win solely on Duchies and Estates.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.406 seconds with 20 queries.