Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Author Topic: Google + Walled Village  (Read 58368 times)

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
Re: Google + Walled Village
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2012, 12:08:04 pm »

And when I yahoo searched.......oh wait, nobody bothers to use Yahoo Search anymore.
Altavista was so much better than Yahoo.

For some reason I keep expecting someone to post the actual Dominion sell-out cards. Man, maybe you guys don't know about them?

I know what you're thinking. That's a pretty sweet Woodcutter.

waitwaitwaitwaitwait

You mean to tell me somebody made a Touhouminion?

I love you and respect your intellectual property and all that but I need those cards.

It's actually official (I think).  Some japanese company rethemed it (I believe with DXV / RGG permission) to better fit their local gamer sensibilities.

The reason why I have no issue with it - and am not considering DXV a sellout for this is that it's not like he's released exclusive content - just customizing it for a local market.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 20, 2012, 12:08:10 pm »
+2

waitwaitwaitwaitwait

I love you and respect your intellectual property and all that but I need those cards.
Dude, that's an official licensed retheme, I get my cut and everything. There's more than one; there are a few Toho Shisoroku ones, a few Nitroplus ones, and something called Dominion Characters (all from the Japanese publisher). BGG only lists two Toho ones right now, but I think three are out. They are all just actual Dominion cards in different groupings, except we let them drop the potion clause from Apprentice (which I think is a promo).

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2012, 12:10:29 pm »

You play 100 games on isotropic with me with me stating that we have random cards.  Each has the KC-Goons-Masq pin.  Huh were those 100 games broken?
You're acting like this question is relevant, but it isn't. Unless you just mean, you don't like that card combo, which would be a new topic.

I actually don't know what I mean exactly, I just don't think it's correct that just because an event may happen it's the same as if you set the probability of the event happening to 1.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2012, 12:16:30 pm »
+2

waitwaitwaitwaitwait

Dude, that's an official licensed retheme, I get my cut and everything. There's more than one; there are a few Toho Shisoroku ones, a few Nitroplus ones, and something called Dominion Characters (all from the Japanese publisher). BGG only lists two Toho ones right now, but I think three are out. They are all just actual Dominion cards in different groupings, except we let them drop the potion clause from Apprentice (which I think is a promo).

BLASPHEMY
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2012, 12:21:28 pm »
+1

I actually don't know what I mean exactly, I just don't think it's correct that just because an event may happen it's the same as if you set the probability of the event happening to 1.
I agree. But the issue is, how much does Dominion lose by losing Envoy.

Let's say you decide to have a marathon session involving every card, after Guilds comes out. 200 cards, that will take 20 games, let's say for simplicity that Young Witch and Black Market are in the last game. And Envoy is in the last game. So you play 19 games without Envoy. 19 out of the 20 automatically don't have Envoy, whatever order you do them in, again ignoring Black Market what is this Black Market nonsense.

Are those 19 games not Dominion etc. See this way I dodge the probability issue and don't have to figure out the odds of 100 games without Envoy. I bet the chance of some card not showing up in 100 games is high but whatever.

Maybe this is easier from my perspective. I have played with tons of Dominion cards that did not get published. Dominion didn't need those cards to such an extreme that it didn't get them. And Walled Village and Envoy are two of those cards, they just came out anyway.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2012, 12:24:01 pm »

we let them drop the potion clause from Apprentice

BLASPHEMY
It is of course functionally the same unless they print Toho cards with potion costs, and of course their plan was that they never would.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2012, 12:25:24 pm »

Thread derailing here, but is anyone else now looking at the foreign versions of Dominion cards and trying to work out which cards they are?

No?
Just me then, ahh well!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2012, 12:27:07 pm »

Thread derailing here, but is anyone else now looking at the foreign versions of Dominion cards and trying to work out which cards they are?

No?
Just me then, ahh well!
When you're ready to see the answers for Toho #1, here they are: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/652972/english-paste-ups-almost-ready-can-i-get-some-pr

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 20, 2012, 12:27:20 pm »

No?
Just me then, ahh well!

I thought we were creating NSFW fan variants?  Do you think those Scarlett Jonahhhanannassaon leaked picks are more appropriate for Duchess or Woodcutter?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 20, 2012, 12:28:58 pm »

No?
Just me then, ahh well!
When you're ready to see the answers for Toho #1, here they are: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/652972/english-paste-ups-almost-ready-can-i-get-some-pr

Yeah, was just an excuse to perve really.....

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 20, 2012, 12:29:15 pm »
+2

No?
Just me then, ahh well!

I thought we were creating NSFW fan variants?  Do you think those Scarlett Jonahhhanannassaon leaked picks are more appropriate for Duchess or Woodcutter?

Clearly the Kate Middleton pictures for Dutchess...

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 20, 2012, 12:37:54 pm »
+1

No?
Just me then, ahh well!

Not princess?

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 20, 2012, 12:38:14 pm »
+1

Are those 19 games not Dominion etc. See this way I dodge the probability issue and don't have to figure out the odds of 100 games without Envoy. I bet the chance of some card not showing up in 100 games is high but whatever.
For one card it was 0.5%, so it's lower than 10% for all of them...

But don't take me too serious in this thread (except on math questions), I'm just here too post funny pictures...

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2012, 12:47:26 pm »
+1

Maybe this is easier from my perspective. I have played with tons of Dominion cards that did not get published. Dominion didn't need those cards to such an extreme that it didn't get them. And Walled Village and Envoy are two of those cards, they just came out anyway.
Keep in mind that there are many people in this thread who would buy a box of outtakes if it were released, even though it'd be worse than real expansions. :P

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2012, 02:06:17 pm »

Maybe this is easier from my perspective. I have played with tons of Dominion cards that did not get published.

That seems likely.

We've played with the published Dominion cards and that's it. That set of cards is "Dominion", subsets of it are "some of Dominion but not all of it". So yeah, playing without Walled Village in the random mix seems like I'm not playing Dominion, but some variant that's missing a card for whatever reason.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2012, 02:14:32 pm »
+1

Maybe this is easier from my perspective. I have played with tons of Dominion cards that did not get published.

That seems likely.

We've played with the published Dominion cards and that's it. That set of cards is "Dominion", subsets of it are "some of Dominion but not all of it". So yeah, playing without Walled Village in the random mix seems like I'm not playing Dominion, but some variant that's missing a card for whatever reason.

Really?  I've never felt that.  Walled Village is terrible.  The whole point of its existence is that it doesn't combo.  And it doesn't really feel like an integral part of Dominion.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2012, 02:40:57 pm »

No?
Just me then, ahh well!

Not princess?

Nope, she isnt a princess.
Duchess of Cambridge and Countess of somewhere.
And then eventually Queen Consort.

I suppose the closest you get would be the unused title HEr Royal Highness Princess William, but thats not used

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2012, 02:53:25 pm »

No?
Just me then, ahh well!

Not princess?

I suppose the closest you get would be the unused title HEr Royal Highness Princess William, but thats not used

British royalty is so odd.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2012, 02:56:56 pm »

No?
Just me then, ahh well!

Not princess?

British royalty is so odd.

If they were not so odd they wouldnt be so special now would they!

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 20, 2012, 04:00:17 pm »

...Are those 19 games not Dominion etc. See this way I dodge the probability issue and don't have to figure out the odds of 100 games without Envoy. I bet the chance of some card not showing up in 100 games is high but whatever.

For reference, out of 200 cards the chance of a specific card not appearing (i.e. you choose a card and see if it appears) in 100 games is 0.95^100 (excluding horrid stuff like Black Market, Bane etc.). This comes from, one game of 10 cards has a 5% chance of including your given card. So 95% of the card not appearing in a given game. Every game is independent so we multiply that together 100 times and get 0.95^100~=0.00592~=1/170

The chance of there existing any card having not appeared after 100 games is a little trickier. I almost feel ashamed stating this as I'm pretty sure I'm incorrectly assuming independence, but taking (1-0.95^100)^200 gives the chance of every specific card appearing, which is about 30.5%, so a 69.5% chance that at least one card doesn't.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 20, 2012, 04:04:14 pm »
+1

Seriously though, Walled Village is a bit shit. I bet whoever agreed it at google doesn't play or they would never have agreed to that!

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2012, 04:09:39 pm »

For one card it was 0.5%, so it's lower than 10% for all of them...

But don't take me too serious in this thread (except on math questions), I'm just here too post funny pictures...

Arggh, 200*0.5=1 and not 0.1. Maybe just don't take me serious at all...

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2012, 05:01:39 pm »

That seems likely.

Really?  I've never felt that.  Walled Village is terrible.  The whole point of its existence is that it doesn't combo.  And it doesn't really feel like an integral part of Dominion.
It's not that boring. It has mildly interesting interactions with Torturer and Ambassador. I agree it's the least interesting promo.

Envoy though I'd hate to go without, as I like that card much more than its reputation: Envoy+BM is not that great, and Envoy makes fantastic draw in a slim deck (if you have no bad cards, it's basically just +4 cards for $4, which is fantastic). It's also a bit fun to make sure that, when playing an Envoy-based draw engine, you play the Envoys as soon as you can so that your opponent has a hard time deciding what you should discard. And Envoy+Cellar is sort of a combo (draw tons of bad cards, discard them for good cards using Cellar--although getting the Cellar in hand can be problematic).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 05:03:16 pm by blueblimp »

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 21, 2012, 08:53:46 am »
+1

If you really want to play with Walled Village, just use a regular village, and make people spend 4 to buy it, and then sometimes put it back on top of your deck if you feel like it. I think I fell asleep once in game looking at the card. Frisk is right, whoever chose the card clearly doesn't play this game. I don't really mind if I never see it, personally.

I just want to make sure though, let's say I already signed up for Goko but didn't do it through G+, there is SOME way of me still being able to get Walled Village, right? It would be dumb for everyone for there not to be, because there's nothing advertising it when you sign up, saying hey, if you want this card do this. Advertising doesn't work through arbitrarily rewarding people who already use your product, so I'm assuming there's something else?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2012, 10:51:23 am »

I just want to make sure though, let's say I already signed up for Goko but didn't do it through G+, there is SOME way of me still being able to get Walled Village, right? It would be dumb for everyone for there not to be, because there's nothing advertising it when you sign up, saying hey, if you want this card do this. Advertising doesn't work through arbitrarily rewarding people who already use your product, so I'm assuming there's something else?
I think you should be more careful in your assumptions -- I don't think there'd be such an uproar if there was.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Page created in 2.212 seconds with 21 queries.