Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Author Topic: Google + Walled Village  (Read 58365 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Google + Walled Village
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2012, 03:41:02 pm »
+6

The completionist logic is irrational, hopefully you can at least yourself realize it.  You're putting an artificial value on 100% ownership.

Just because completionism is irrational doesn't mean it's not real. There are people, believe it or not, that derive satisfaction from having 100% of something. More importantly, having 99% of something is like having a hangnail. You could ignore it, but it's going to bug you endlessly. Until my brain stops sending me chemicals that encourage me to be a completionist, I'm going to be one to some extent.

One of the great things about Dominion is that the collector is rewarded, instead of punished, for his completionism. There's never been a Dominion product that I bought just to have it. I enjoy playing with each of the cards. They're all good products that are worth having in their own right.

So how about this, popsofctown. I'll stop being a completionist if you stop eating your favorite food. I mean, you're just putting an artificial value on the food. Your brain may be sending you signals that it's is delicious, but you can overcome that. I believe in you!

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2012, 03:46:01 pm »
+7

Yo guys.

On the whole, Google is pretty cool.

I promise.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2012, 03:47:24 pm »
+1

I'm not trying to devalue people's preferences, I'm just making sure people realize that their preference can perhaps be changed.  Frequently I find myself playing completionistly in video games that are poorly designed on the difficult goals, but well designed on the easy stuff.  I have to discipline myself to stop being completionist so i can enjoy the easy parts of the game without flogging myself.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2012, 03:54:54 pm »
+2

Yo guys.

I promise.

Well, they're making us use their stuff in order to play Dominion (well, Walled Village). That's not cool at all.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2012, 03:56:08 pm »

Yo guys.

I promise.
Especially when they go around driving in their funny cars and picking up private data from wireless networks.
That was super!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2012, 04:00:13 pm »
+1

Yo guys.

I promise.
Especially when they go around driving in their funny cars and picking up private data from wireless networks.
That was super!

If you shout that unencrypted into the world, it's not private.

Seriously, complain about anything, but this WLAN thing was ridiculous.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2012, 04:09:36 pm »
+1

Yo guys.

I promise.
That was super!

If you shout that unencrypted into the world, it's not private.

Seriously, complain about anything, but this WLAN thing was ridiculous.
Maybe it wasn't illegal, but it was wrong.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2012, 04:13:51 pm »
+11

For me - its not about what google knows - but what other people who know me through Google know.

I don't want Goko posting stuff on my g+ profile: Level 238123 Dominion Nerd.  I don't want to wrestle through my g+ privacy settings to make sure that nobody I'm g+ friends with can accidentally see how much of my life I waste playing dominion online.  I don't want my real name used within Goko.

I don't want to have a dominion hangout with someone, and then have that posted: "Captain Frisk hung out with 3 other people playing dominion!" 

Even if i have my settings set up - I don't want someone else posting that they hung out with me on their feed.

I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

1wheel

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2012, 04:48:31 pm »

I don't want Goko posting stuff on my g+ profile: Level 238123 Dominion Nerd.  I don't want to wrestle through my g+ privacy settings to make sure that nobody I'm g+ friends with can accidentally see how much of my life I waste playing dominion online. 

The G+ API doesn't allow for directly posting to user's walls - I think they get sent to a queue where you can review them and publish them if you want.

I don't want to have a dominion hangout with someone, and then have that posted: "Captain Frisk hung out with 3 other people playing dominion!" 

Even if i have my settings set up - I don't want someone else posting that they hung out with me on their feed.

I'm not sure to control the hangout posts - my girlfriend and I switched back to using the talk video gadget because we couldn't figure out how to stop the posts.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2012, 05:30:12 pm »

The completionist logic is irrational, hopefully you can at least yourself realize it.  You're putting an artificial value on 100% ownership.

Well sure... but isn't that what collecting things is all about? Isn't that why so many games now have achievements to unlock? It's why people spend hours playing a game they've already beaten... because they want 100%. Yes it's "irrational." It's a desire/emotion thing, not a logical thing. People who really like Dominion, people who have spent hours online discussing Dominion on a strategy forum, people who have played thousands of games on Isotropic; many of these people are the type that will want to get every single possible thing that they can get out of Dominion. And some of these people will go through the entire Goko game; buying and collecting every single set and promo card, and then discover that there is no way they can get Walled Village, because their account happens to not be through Google. Some of these people will start all over from scratch just to get that 100%; others will be pissed off and quick Goko.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2012, 05:35:24 pm »
+1

Well sure... but isn't that what collecting things is all about? Isn't that why so many games now have achievements to unlock? It's why people spend hours playing a game they've already beaten... because they want 100%. Yes it's "irrational." It's a desire/emotion thing, not a logical thing. People who really like Dominion, people who have spent hours online discussing Dominion on a strategy forum, people who have played thousands of games on Isotropic; many of these people are the type that will want to get every single possible thing that they can get out of Dominion. And some of these people will go through the entire Goko game; buying and collecting every single set and promo card, and then discover that there is no way they can get Walled Village, because their account happens to not be through Google. Some of these people will start all over from scratch just to get that 100%; others will be pissed off and quick Goko.

This. Anyone who wants everything and doesn't sign up with their Google account will quickly quit Goko when they realize they needed to use their google account to get walled village. You waste all the time going through ALL of the adventures MULTIPLE TIMES and then at the end of the day you can't get walled village because of something you didn't know when you signed up.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2012, 05:37:10 pm »
+1

I'm going to hazard a guess that you can link your G+ account later or something.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2012, 05:39:05 pm »

This. Anyone who wants everything and doesn't sign up with their Google account will quickly quit Goko when they realize they needed to use their google account to get walled village. You waste all the time going through ALL of the adventures MULTIPLE TIMES and then at the end of the day you can't get walled village because of something you didn't know when you signed up.

They won't quit - because they've already paid.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2012, 05:49:57 pm »

They won't quit - because they've already paid.

Ugh I forgot about that because the beta is free and Iso was free. This is one MILLION times worse
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2012, 06:34:35 pm »

I'm going to hazard a guess that you can link your G+ account later or something.

At the moment, you can't do that. But, hopefully, they're looking into it.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2012, 10:18:35 pm »

Then change the random kingdom algorithm to include more villages.  I don't know why people insist on using the most basic possible kingdom selection method and then complain when it does nothing but choose cards at random.
Set all the other villages to a 1.1X chance of occurence, same thing.
I agree with this (I think non-uniform random kingdom selections can be interesting), but there are a significant number of people who want to play only with uniform random kingdoms. Besides, the most non-uniformity we ever got on isotropic was auto-match bias, and right now Goko has even less than that--and in pro mode will likely only ever have uniform random.

My point: what turns up in uniform random matters.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2012, 10:26:21 pm »
+1

I have tried to balance the expansions such that pure random works reasonably well with any mix of expansions a person might have. The promos are not factored into this.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2012, 11:58:28 pm »
+22

Well you *do* need a signature...

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2012, 12:13:45 am »
+15

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2012, 12:23:28 am »
+6

Thin Mint.  Embassy Suites.  Dexter's Laboratory.  Library of Congress.  DeVry University.  The Watchtower.  Bank of America.

Am I doing it right?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2012, 12:25:19 am »

I have tried to balance the expansions such that pure random works reasonably well with any mix of expansions a person might have. The promos are not factored into this.

Nor are the half-sets on Goko.  In Prosperity, all but one of the kingdom treasures and two of three attacks are in one set; all of the megaturn cards and VP cards are in the other set.  Both villages (City and WV) are in the same set.  If you really want to have the best chance of winning, just get the "Bigger and Better" half set.  Intrigue, meanwhile, is set up specifically for Scout!  One set has Scout and all the dual-type cards.  The other set has most of the attacks.

Pure random will work with the sets, therefore, but not with Goko.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2012, 12:27:44 am »
+1

Nor are the half-sets on Goko.  In Prosperity, all but one of the kingdom treasures and two of three attacks are in one set; all of the megaturn cards and VP cards are in the other set.  Both villages (City and WV) are in the same set.  If you really want to have the best chance of winning, just get the "Bigger and Better" half set.  Intrigue, meanwhile, is set up specifically for Scout!  One set has Scout and all the dual-type cards.  The other set has most of the attacks.

Pure random will work with the sets, therefore, but not with Goko.

If I remember correctly, Donald X himself did the partitioning of the sets.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2012, 03:33:39 am »
+2

Personally, I don't like this g+ thing, and I'll completely ignore Walled village. It's simply the most uninteresting dominion card (I know, it's a village, but in this case I prefer a second vanilla village card).

I'll not buy envoy and governor too, I don't like their power in BM, it creates boring games...

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2012, 06:53:05 am »
+3

Thin Mint.  Embassy Suites.  Dexter's Laboratory.  Library of Congress.  DeVry University.  The Watchtower.  Bank of America.

Am I doing it right?

No, as I understand this, you have to post a modified pic of the cards, and not a completely unrelated one...

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2012, 07:52:41 am »
+4

Don't pass up on this Big Money opportunity!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Page created in 2.11 seconds with 21 queries.