Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Google + Walled Village  (Read 58354 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Google + Walled Village
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2012, 10:09:16 pm »

You can get rid of them by paying (enough) money : "Please support our sponsors – their ads help us bring you games for free. If you would like to skip these ads in the future, buy an individual Dominion expansion, Complete Expansion, or Super Pack with Gokoins in the store." Parade of Misfits is not a complete expansion, so LastFootnote will be stuck with ads until buying more. I bought all the expansions when I logged into the reset beta and haven't seen any ads.

Well, what's the difference between "individual Dominion expansion" or "Complete Expansion"?  I would expect that if you paid for anything, including a partial expansion (which is only partial compared to the physical sets; they might consider them "complete" for Goko), ads would be gone.

polonkus

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2012, 10:10:53 pm »

Right now, they are planning on incorporating ads. Poking around the source of the web page revealed several things:

• You can get rid of them by paying (enough) money : "Please support our sponsors – their ads help us bring you games for free. If you would like to skip these ads in the future, buy an individual Dominion expansion, Complete Expansion, or Super Pack with Gokoins in the store." Parade of Misfits is not a complete expansion, so LastFootnote will be stuck with ads until buying more. I bought all the expansions when I logged into the reset beta and haven't seen any ads.
  • The ads will play for 35 seconds with width of 660px and height of 400px (on my computer).
  • Currently, the ads are for Wild Tangent(which apparently is still in buinesses after installing bloatware on millions of computers? According to wikipedia, they make money now by selling 'WildCoins').
  • The ads make a call to doubleclick. Between that and the frequent google-analytics throughout the goku client, I don't think anyone is losing that much privacy by logging in with their google ID.
  • The ads will play no more then once every 13 minutes.
  • WildTangent ads don't work on iOS and aren't allow in google hangouts, so there are no ads on those platforms (for now).
  • Code comment: 
            // There are two scenarios of show ads:
            // 1. Multiplay game
            // - show ads or not base on host table (showAds flag in table setting), the flag should be set
            // after owner create table
            // 2. Single play (campaign, single play .. no table or no showAds in table settings)
            // - if player is premium user, not so ads anymore
            // - if not, ads will be showed if reaches due time (aka "13m")

Wow, they're still publishing comments in their served code? Super professional.
This user is banned.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2012, 10:13:55 pm »

So assuming that people who have paid won't see ads, I'm fine with that.  Personally, I run Ad-Block Plus on both Firefox and Chrome, so I only see ads on sites I unblock anyway because I want to support them.

The Walled Village thing is silly though.  Using Google login auth, like isotropic does, is one thing; fetching G+ information and real names is something else entirely.

That and it using me real name from my google account as my public in game name.

If this is true, it's definitely an issue for a lot of players. Various games (and game forums) have tried 'real ID' systems (where your real name is your public name) over the years, and it is *always* met with severe outcry/cancellations. You can find a good example of this in World of Warcraft, where a significant percentage of the player-base threatened (and actually started) to quit over it.

*raises hand*

I actually cancelled my WoW subscription during that kerfuffle.  When the kerfuffle ended with Blizzard realizing it was a really bad idea, I resubscribed, though at first I dropped to the monthly rather than six-month subscription I'd previously had.  Just because I wanted to be sure.

If my real name is displayed to other users by Goko, that's another dealbreaker.

Wow, they're still publishing comments in their served code? Super professional.

It's a beta.  I can forgive them that part during a beta; who knows, maybe they want us to see it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:15:12 pm by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2012, 10:59:07 pm »
+8

The more I think about this, the less I like it.  I don't care if it's Goko or Google doing it; the point is that there will not be equal access to the cards--which is equivalent, in my opinion, to not having all cards available (for purchase) to all people.  People who don't have or don't want a Google account--which, as noted above, can't be anonymous any longer--cannot get the Walled Village card.  This breaks tournament play (even more).

And it's just plain silly.

And it saddens me to realize we're going to lose so many good players from the online community because of things like this, as well as the big issues.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2012, 11:31:21 pm »

I for one have stopped caring and think this is hilariously awesome.
Ditto! This exceeds my expectations of insanity from Goko. I know this kind of promo item has been done before in other video games, but it's a very video game-ish thing to do. It doesn't fit a board game at all.

Denivar

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2012, 12:09:06 am »
+1

I'm opposed to being forced to log in with my google id.
Well you can make a new google account pretty quickly, and use that one. It will come in handy later when you want to be anonymous somewhere.

Google's terms of service for Google+ say you must use your actual real name. See http://support.google.com/plus/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1228271 -- if you try to anonymize yourself you are violating the terms of service.

Facebook does some pretty creepy checks to verify they think you're using your real name and will make you provide intrusive details such as your phone number if they don't believe you. I wouldn't be surprised if Google does the same or will do so in the future.

(Note I post this under the understanding you have to use your Google+ account, not just a gmail account, which doesn't have the same requirements).

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2012, 01:08:51 am »

Even though you log in with Google, you can still change your username on Goko. It is can of hard and unintutive to figure out, but it is possible.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2012, 01:36:39 am »

how do you do that?

Jive Junkie

• Spy
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2012, 02:06:31 am »

In protest, we should all sign in with newly-created Google+ accounts and for our real names put down Guy Fawkes.

Actually, that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2012, 02:10:46 am »
+2

I'm so getting the feeling that by the time the Goko version actually comes out, we've all moved on to the next best thing.

And the people who will be playing are the ones who love cut-the-rope, angry birds and what not.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Jive Junkie

• Spy
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2012, 02:24:57 am »
+1

I'm so getting the feeling that by the time the Goko version actually comes out, we've all moved on to the next best thing.

And the people who will be playing are the ones who love cut-the-rope, angry birds and what not.

Hmm, so when will our Holodecks be ready?

vintermann

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2012, 02:37:16 am »

I bet the card they *really* wanted Donald to make was Walled Garden.

Action/Victory, Cost 5, 2vp. +1 card +1 action. When you discard this from play, put it on top of your deck. (You still get your hand, but you have to get it through the walled garden.)

But that's more like Apple  :P

Google have far better policies than most companies when it comes to deleting and/or moving out your data from their services. Backing up gmail offline is easy and a thing I recommend everyone should do (if you can do with poorer search), you can delete it from gmail afterwards. Not many people know you can look at and edit your search history at history.google.com . www.dataliberation.org shows you what options are available for migrating off Google services - and it's actually a team at Google that's behind it.

A promo card only available if you log in with Google+ is not particularly worse than cards only available if you pay, IMO. Sure, Goko gets your real identity (assuming you don't lie), but if you're paying them with a credit card they probably have that already. As always, how anonymous you want to stay is a tradeoff.

1wheel

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2012, 06:26:58 am »

Personally, I run Ad-Block Plus on both Firefox and Chrome, so I only see ads on sites I unblock anyway because I want to support them.

Based on how the code is written and my understanding of Ad-Block, I think non-premium players who run Ad-Block will be stuck looking at a blank splash screen for 35 seconds.

The Walled Village thing is silly though.  Using Google login auth, like isotropic does, is one thing; fetching G+ information and real names is something else entirely.
[...]
If my real name is displayed to other users by Goko, that's another dealbreaker.

I logged in with google and it shows my real name on the leaderboard (now that I notice it, the mix of real and nicknames looks real silly). Initially I thought this was being driven by google since the hangout api requires that all users give the app access to their real name, but now that I can't find anyway to change the displayed name away from my real name I'm not so sure. EDIT: Beyond Awesome pointed out that the displayed name can be changed. It isn't possible to do in the dominion client but click your icon on the main goku splash page allows you to change your nickname.

It's a beta.  I can forgive them that part during a beta; who knows, maybe they want us to see it.

They are probably testing on the same version that we have access to and need to see the non minified code.

Well, what's the difference between "individual Dominion expansion" or "Complete Expansion"?  I would expect that if you paid for anything, including a partial expansion (which is only partial compared to the physical sets; they might consider them "complete" for Goko), ads would be gone.

The store isn't selling any "individual expansion" right now, so I'm not sure what the difference is. Maybe they won't split the smaller expansions into two packs so they will only count as "individual", not "complete" expansions?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 06:43:25 am by 1wheel »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2012, 08:16:42 am »
+1

Personally, I run Ad-Block Plus on both Firefox and Chrome, so I only see ads on sites I unblock anyway because I want to support them.

Based on how the code is written and my understanding of Ad-Block, I think non-premium players who run Ad-Block will be stuck looking at a blank splash screen for 35 seconds.

If it's anything like the ads on Hulu, then yes, this is what will happen.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2012, 08:44:26 am »
+8

The more I think about this, the less I like it.  I don't care if it's Goko or Google doing it; the point is that there will not be equal access to the cards--which is equivalent, in my opinion, to not having all cards available (for purchase) to all people.  People who don't have or don't want a Google account--which, as noted above, can't be anonymous any longer--cannot get the Walled Village card.  This breaks tournament play (even more).

And it saddens me to realize we're going to lose so many good players from the online community because of things like this, as well as the big issues.

Goko: Committed to pushing away Dominion's most committed players one at a time.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2012, 09:25:12 am »
+1

It sounds like this is a bug, that Parade of Misfits should count but doesn't. Obv. it should count.

It is great to see so many diehard Walled Village fans. I didn't know there would be a privacy issue with this. The worst case is that you don't get Walled Village and well it's one of the promos that wasn't good enough to make it into an expansion.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2012, 10:20:47 am »
+5

Will the walled village have google logo present when it is played, as it is in the store? I hope Rio Grande get a bit of the advertising revenue if it does. Maybe the envoy will have a soft drink can in his hand in a future version.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2012, 10:22:26 am »
+2

Will the walled village have google logo present when it is played, as it is in the store? I hope Rio Grande get a bit of the advertising revenue if it does. Maybe the envoy will have a soft drink can in his hand in a future version.
Maybe it will be like a Michael Bay movie!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

anlin_wang

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2012, 10:35:22 am »
+4

This quote. I had several friends who played on Isotropic fairly frequently. Now they're all like "fuck this game" just because of all the copyright bullshit and the shittiness of goko. Things like this only make them even more inclined to just give up on Dominion. I'm not happy about it and I've tried to convince them to stick with this game but I've had no success. I imagine this isn't just a problem that I've had to deal with. Eventually, I'm going to join them as well, but hopefully something will come in the future to change our minds.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2012, 10:35:48 am »
+3

The worst case is that you don't get Walled Village and well it's one of the promos that wasn't good enough to make it into an expansion.

But it was good enough to be programmed and added before 70 cards that did make it into expansions.

The problem is limited access.  Some people just plain won't be able to get the card.  And that's wrong.

Mists of Pandaria hits next Tuesday.

Meanwhile, I can always go play Dominion with my own cards... or with someone else's if I want to play Dark Ages or Guilds.

"Google presents Walled Village"
"EBay presents Black Market"
"Governor, sponsored by Romney for America"

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2012, 10:41:33 am »
+35

No interest in further fine tuning, but
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:01:52 pm by DStu »

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2012, 10:43:46 am »
+3

I am almost willing to register some dummy accounts to provide further +1s.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2012, 10:46:58 am »
+4

No dummy accounts bro, against terms of service.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:48:43 am by Fabian »

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2012, 10:49:39 am »
+14

Additional sponsorship opportunities

I think its time we give the meme thread a run for its money.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2012, 11:00:14 am »

No dummy accounts bro, against terms of service.

Don't worry, multiple accounts are endorsed by Donald X!

I'm opposed to being forced to log in with my google id.
Well you can make a new google account pretty quickly, and use that one. It will come in handy later when you want to be anonymous somewhere.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Page created in 2.337 seconds with 21 queries.