Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What Would Marin Do?  (Read 1074 times)

axlemn

• Salvager
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
What Would Marin Do?
« on: September 15, 2012, 02:23:31 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/15/game-20120915-111508-55078d6e.html

This is not what Marin would have done, I think.  I just like that I was thinking about controlling pace of the game like Marin seems to do well.  And how he says that Province rushing is bad. 

I was watching the WW vs. Marin games, and once I lost the FG split, I stopped to think. 

I open Spice Merchant / Fool's Gold, then grab 2 Traders to transition into Gardens.  I use Traders on BV and on the cheap Golds I got from his Province buys, then go on to get an amazingly high-quality 64-card deck.  He tries to deny me Gardens, but even when he gets 3 worth as much as Duchies, it's not enough. 

So, stop to think.  Avoid BM whenever possible.  I think that's what Marin would do. 

[Thanks to WW for putting up those games for analysis.]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 02:28:24 pm by axlemn »
Favorite cards: Wharf, Wishing Well, Cartographer, Counting House. 
Least favorite cards: Swindler, Jester, Ghost Ship, Black Market, Fortune Teller

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
Re: What Would Marin Do?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 09:23:32 pm »

Shouldn't this have been a Gardens rush from the beginning? Fool's Gold will be helpful for you as well as your opponent, so the classic FG rush will still happen, and you have Hamlets which are cheap and give +buy... so those two with Gardens are three piles right there, with Estates likely to deplete or run low as well. Even Feasts might be a factor here. There's no good Big Money enabler or good engine potential on this board, it doesn't seem like, so why wasn't this game originally a Gardens rush?
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: What Would Marin Do?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 10:03:25 pm »

FG is not great for a Gardens rush. Granted, it's not bad if you can't match FGs to make $4.

axlemn can't let his opponent get all of the FGs, but I think Trader into a straight Gardens rush is a better idea, competing for FG buys until they're out.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.405 seconds with 21 queries.