Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Dark Ages on Iso a Possibility?  (Read 30655 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages on Iso a Possibility?
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2012, 12:45:27 pm »

I suppose. I still can't see how someone can lose interest in the game itself. The game doesn't change--just the medium. I've heard of people using chips instead of cards. It's different, and I probably wouldn't like it. It still wouldn't make me lose interest in the game.

I can see where you're coming from; I just can't wrap my brain around the idea of claiming to enjoy the game only as long as it's on Isotropic. It sounds like hyperbole to me, but I'll accept that such a thing is possible.

Hey look, I'm taking away your pinball machine. But I'll give you the cardgame version of it. You can do all the same things with all the same rules, you just need your whole living room floor to do it and calculate the physics yourself and it happens at 1/10,000th the speed. What are you complaining about? Implementation doesn't matter.

I take it you've never played Solitaire with real cards, then.

Sure I have? I even prefer it. Solitaire is a simple enough game that the satisfaction of handling real cards is worth the slight increase in micromanagement.

While we're making random guesses about each other, I bet you've never eaten a green-frosted donut.

I believe the point is that Dominion is a fun game to play IRL with other people, so why should you lose interest just because isotropic is going away?  That you even like Solitaire with real cards suggests that you should like Dominion with real cards too.  The satisfaction of handling real cards AND face-to-face interaction with other players is worth the moderate increase in micromanagement.

Is micromanagement even the right word there?  Meh.

polonkus

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2012, 12:47:31 pm »
+1

I suppose. I still can't see how someone can lose interest in the game itself. The game doesn't change--just the medium. I've heard of people using chips instead of cards. It's different, and I probably wouldn't like it. It still wouldn't make me lose interest in the game.

I can see where you're coming from; I just can't wrap my brain around the idea of claiming to enjoy the game only as long as it's on Isotropic. It sounds like hyperbole to me, but I'll accept that such a thing is possible.

Hey look, I'm taking away your pinball machine. But I'll give you the cardgame version of it. You can do all the same things with all the same rules, you just need your whole living room floor to do it and calculate the physics yourself and it happens at 1/10,000th the speed. What are you complaining about? Implementation doesn't matter.

Sure I have? I even prefer it. Solitaire is a simple enough game that the satisfaction of handling real cards is worth the slight increase in micromanagement.

While we're making random guesses about each other, I bet you've never eaten a green-frosted donut.

I believe the point is that Dominion is a fun game to play IRL with other people, so why should you lose interest just because isotropic is going away?  That you even like Solitaire with real cards suggests that you should like Dominion with real cards too.  The satisfaction of handling real cards AND face-to-face interaction with other players is worth the moderate increase in micromanagement.

Not really. Even face-to-face I'd much rather everyone get their laptops out and we play on iso.
I tried this once, I was able to play 5 2p iso games in the time it took for one 3p paper game to be set up and played out.

I even preferred playing on a single laptop (multiple browsers and passing) to paper, although it was tricky not having people see each other's hands.
This user is banned.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2012, 01:49:44 pm »
+2

I dreamed last night that I opened this thread to see a post from Donald X. that said "Actually, yes."

:(
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2012, 02:15:20 pm »
+2

I believe everyone gets this is the point, and I believe almost everyone gets that some people have different preferences than other people and enjoy different things about things than other people do. Some people like playing Dominion exclusively 8p with their friends on drunken Friday nights and would never touch isotropic with a 10 foot pole, and some people like playing Dominion exclusively 2p on isotropic, and then there's probably people in between as well. Good for them.

I mean it's great that you're telling us all that x y and z "are worth" whatever it is they're worth, but perhaps you might be open to the possibility that other people have other preferences too. Winning an argument where you are telling other people how they should feel and what they should like etc is pretty tricky business.

ETA: This goes for everyone who can't fathom why someone would lose interest in a game when (in their opinion) the only good way of playing it is getting shut down, not specifically to you Halcyon.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 02:17:21 pm by Fabian »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 1.686 seconds with 21 queries.