Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bishop against Herbalist/Philosopher's stone/Gardens  (Read 1002 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Bishop against Herbalist/Philosopher's stone/Gardens
« on: September 13, 2012, 11:36:21 am »
+1

I'm particularly proud of this very interesting game : http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/13/game-20120913-081143-13f4a231.html. Especially for the end, because before my last turn I was behind (50 - 62) and with my last province buy my gardens reached 4VP each.

And knowing that bishop counter gardens well, I wonder what is the best strategy ? Herbalist + PS + Gardens (after buying some provinces) or bishop with no support ?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:37:25 am by brokoli »

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop against Herbalist/Philosopher's stone/Gardens
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 12:20:43 pm »
+2

For the game:
 - Doesn't Masq and even Oracle BM clearly win against both strategies?
 - Warehouse > Silver in this game? I would suspect you want to just see those Pstones/herbalists over and over again. 
 - Surprised Embargo was never bought... I would've reacted to your T1 herbalist with a $3 embargo. 

For the question:
Probably depends how soon bishop person wants to contest gardens, either at the start (and trash them with bishops), or near the end, which he does late.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 02:33:47 pm »
+2

- Doesn't Masq and even Oracle BM clearly win against both strategies?

I don't think so. Herbalist+PStone can just try to empty out Gardens and Duchies and leave the entire Province stack to the BM player. It's not inconceivable to have 5 VP Gardens plus a lot of Duchies and Estates, and the PStone player can typically buy a Province whenever he has a PStone in hand anyway.

brokoli definitely did not play this entirely optimally; those early Silvers should have been Herbalists or Warehouses and he should have topdecked Potion instead of PStone on turn 7 (you want as many PStones as possible). Embargo is not much of a deterrent for the strategy because the Curses increase deck size and the PStones are basically the only good source of income anyway. brokoli also should have bought Coppers whenever possible and should not have trashed his Coppers to his opponent's Bishop. It's not inconceivable to have ~50 cards in deck in a 23 turn game.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 03:20:06 pm »
+1

brokoli definitely did not play this entirely optimally; those early Silvers should have been Herbalists or Warehouses and he should have topdecked Potion instead of PStone on turn 7 (you want as many PStones as possible). Embargo is not much of a deterrent for the strategy because the Curses increase deck size and the PStones are basically the only good source of income anyway. brokoli also should have bought Coppers whenever possible and should not have trashed his Coppers to his opponent's Bishop. It's not inconceivable to have ~50 cards in deck in a 23 turn game.

Yes, it was the first time I've tried this combo and I noticed these mistakes. Thanks for your advises !
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.05 seconds with 21 queries.