Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo: Farmland + Embargo  (Read 2728 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Combo: Farmland + Embargo
« on: October 24, 2012, 10:36:21 am »
+1

So this is a fun little thing I just played in an otherwise all Jack board.

Buy Farmland, turning Copper into Embargo. Later, Embargo Provinces. Then Farmland your Farmland into Provinces, without taking a Curse. If you happen to hit $8 without Farmland in hand, taking a Province + Curse isn't so bad. Your opponent should have more Curses. (Or less Provinces).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
Re: Combo: Farmland + Embargo
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 10:41:43 am »

cool

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 11:01:17 am »

But what's stopping your opponent from doing the same thing? The fact that he's one Farmland behind? He'll likely get one or a Province before your Embargo comes back around... :-\

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 11:22:06 am »

But what's stopping your opponent from doing the same thing? The fact that he's one Farmland behind? He'll likely get one or a Province before your Embargo comes back around... :-\

Plus, he doesn't even need a Farmland to start - he can just Farmland a Gold into a Province.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 11:25:04 am »

Yes, being one Farmland behind should actually make a difference. Sure he can buy a Farmland, but the thing is, yours doesn't take up room in your deck... because the Embargo is a one-shot, your Farmland just replaces the Copper. The best thing he'll be able to do with a Farmland is just copy the combo, usually.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 11:25:44 am »
+1

Plus, he doesn't even need a Farmland to start - he can just Farmland a Gold into a Province.

Sure, if he's hitting $9 hands, and thinks that the loss of a Gold is worth it in that case.... you'd only want to do that pretty late in the game, I think.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 11:32:25 am »

Sure, if he's hitting $9 hands, and thinks that the loss of a Gold is worth it in that case.... you'd only want to do that pretty late in the game, I think.

The problem with Farmland is that the same can be said of you buying Farmland instead of Gold in the first place. Future hands will only work out for a Province if you have $6 and Farmland, which would have been $9 had you bought Gold instead. The only difference is that you've trashed a Copper for an Embargo, where you could probably just buy the Embargo instead with some $2 or $3 hand (especially in your case, since you won't be sad not to buy Silver with Jacks flying around).

Buying Farmland to start a Farmland->Province chain is almost never worthwhile, unless the Remodel boost really benefits you significantly more than having a Gold in your deck instead of a Farmland.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 11:35:12 am »

The problem with Farmland is that the same can be said of you buying Farmland instead of Gold in the first place. Future hands will only work out for a Province if you have $6 and Farmland, which would have been $9 had you bought Gold instead. The only difference is that you've trashed a Copper for an Embargo, where you could probably just buy the Embargo instead with some $2 or $3 hand (especially in your case, since you won't be sad not to buy Silver with Jacks flying around).

Buying Farmland to start a Farmland->Province chain is almost never worthwhile, unless the Remodel boost really benefits you significantly more than having a Gold in your deck instead of a Farmland.

I agree that buying Farmland to start Farmland-Province is a bad idea, but in this case the Farmland trashes a Copper out-right. I know it's only one card, but it's still trashing.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 12:35:26 pm »

Another consideration is that with farmland in the supply the curses can themselves be trashed. Also if both players take the farmland route then you'll have a few of them left in player's decks at the end of the game once the farmland supply is exhausted.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 12:37:34 pm »

Another consideration is that with farmland in the supply the curses can themselves be trashed. Also if both players take the farmland route then you'll have a few of them left in player's decks at the end of the game once the farmland supply is exhausted.

They can be trashed, but your deck can't be thinned. My opponent managed to trash 2 Curses to Farmland, ending up with Estates instead. Also, each time you trash a Curse with Farmland is a time that you can't also be Farmlanding into a Province.

I realize of course that this combo isn't a strategy on its own or anything. But I do think that it's a nice little add-on to an otherwise BM game.

DrFlux

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 02:13:15 pm »

I think that in almost every game with farmland, if I draw a $9 hand, I will farmland a gold into a farmland. The reason is that a farmland in your hand is worth $2 because it makes a province only cost six. So think of it as turning your silver or gold into a harem... which seems like a good trade any time you'd want a province anyways. Of course, if you draw $5+farmland, it is bad, so you have to decide how consistently your deck is going to hit the six needed.

If you have a way of generating gold, such as tunnel, it seems even better.

Similarly, on the topic of buying farmland over gold, I would say its also usually worth whenever you are to the point of buying provinces somewhat consistently. This is especially true when you can remodel into a key component.

As with anything, farmland tricks get more attractive if you are behind. If you need extra points to win, you need extra points to win.

I would consider this embargo trick on the board suggested, because jack gives you lots of money and gets rid of your estates. However, on some other BM boards (say smithy or margrave), I think you risk hitting 8 less consistently if you pull this trick early. I would probably buy 2 golds before I did this.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:16:06 pm by DrFlux »

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 05:36:20 pm »

I think you mean Farmland a Gold into a Province for $9 hands
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.568 seconds with 21 queries.