Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Nice Ghost Ship vs. Philosopher's Stone game  (Read 1079 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
Nice Ghost Ship vs. Philosopher's Stone game
« on: September 12, 2012, 10:33:00 pm »

I'm posting this mainly because of the asymmetry.  My opponent (dghunter79) notices Herbalist/Philosopher's Stone right away and opens Potion/Herbalist.  I don't notice it, and open Silver/Silver in hopes of grabbing an early $5 for Ghost Ship... and of course I miss the $5 until T5.

I think a lot of the determiner of the outcome was luck (dghunter felt he made some mistakes in post-game discussion, but I'm not certain the GM or Cartographer were really mistakes), but I think this highlighted both the Herb/PS strategy and the importance of attacking early and often.

Edit:  Oh yeah, the game!

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/12/game-20120912-191536-cf53ed49.html
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 10:53:15 pm by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Nice Ghost Ship vs. Philosopher's Stone game
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 10:36:28 pm »

There appears to be a missing link.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 10:53:32 pm »

There appears to be a missing link.

I was testing you!  Really.  OK, not really.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 01:26:30 am »

I think that Herbalist-PStone is resilient, but it's definitely not fast, especially when hurt with an attack like Ghost Ship that slows cycling through an already massively bloated deck. It looks like you had a pretty solid engine going.

That said, dghunter definitely made some notable mistakes here with the Herbalist-PStone strat. The GM that he bought should have been a Duchy; the Cartographer probably a Duchy as well. He didn't really need 10 Herbalists; a couple of those could have afforded to be Estates. So he could have had more points (that doesn't mean necessarily that you would have lost; you may have had to dance with lower VP a bit more).

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 09:06:45 am »

I think it is really odd that he buys a cartographer, then decides to stack back on top... EVERY time.  I'm not really sure what the deal with that is, since he could've just played it, looked ahead and such.  Although I do like the idea of grabbing a cartographer, Grand market not so much, the extra $2 and + buy seems frivolous with 10 herbalists in the deck.

I don't think buying that many herbalists was a bad idea.  It seems much safer to do something like buying 10 herbalists in a bloated deck vs. a ghost shipping engine, then trying to sneak in a few estates at turn 13 before a single province was bought. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 20 queries.