Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: After the release of Guilds...  (Read 9939 times)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: After the release of Guilds...
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 07:20:56 am »

Forum Games will still exist; therefore the community will still exist.

Except it wont.

Been through this in other boards, if Dominion goes away then attracting new visitors to this board will become harder and harder, and people who gradually drift away will not be replaced.

Unless Theory shifted the message board away to just being a forum games community, which seems unlikely. or that Innovation becomes a major game in the market and has an extra depth of strategy to be discussed then I think it will slow down and gradually drift away.

How long that will take, no idea.Hopefully ages
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

pinkymadigan

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 09:22:01 am »

Except it wont.

Been through this in other boards, if Dominion goes away then attracting new visitors to this board will become harder and harder, and people who gradually drift away will not be replaced.

Not necessarily. I was a early user in the first incarnation of the RPGMaker Pavilion, and they are still alive and kicking a good 12 or so years later, despite no one going there for RPGMaker related topics anymore. It's just a group of semi-like minded people who continue to post in the free forum because they've been doing that for the last decade.

gryph202

• Baron
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 10:42:22 am »
+1

Except it wont.

Unless Theory shifted the message board away to just being a forum games community, which seems unlikely. or that Innovation becomes a major game in the market and has an extra depth of strategy to be discussed then I think it will slow down and gradually drift away.

How long that will take, no idea.Hopefully ages

Dominion isn't going away.  The Isotropic implementation of Dominion is going away.  I would share your concerns if I no longer had any interest whatsoever in playing Dominion in any format, but that is simply not the case.  I may even play on Goko from time to time without spending actual money.  I definitely intend to purchase Guilds for tabletop play.  As much as I normally hate trying to predict the future, I just don't think that Isotropic and f.ds were the only things propping up the Dominion community.  Dominion had to be a good product first.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 12:26:02 pm »

Hmm, yeah thats a very good point.

I have come to think of Isotropic AS Dominion.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 05:26:43 pm »
+4

One of the best posts I've seen on the matter is this one on Tumblr.  YMMV, of course.

Quote from: that article
nerd culture was cool and mainstream television wanted a piece of the pie (or should that be pi?).

🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2013, 06:07:59 pm »

On TBBT, my comment was more referring to its treatment of geeky subject matter and geeks in general.  I've seen a lot of criticism about the show, and it's certainly easy to find on Google.  One of the best posts I've seen on the matter is this one on Tumblr.  YMMV, of course.

I think TBBT certainly has its flaws (my personal pet peeve is the rather unrealistic characterisation), but I think that blog post you linked has far more of them.  He seems to want things both ways.  He wants the show to be aimed at a 'mainstream' audience (as opposed to what it identifies as geek shows like Veronica Mars, Buffy and F&G), but then complains about the things in the show that actually allow it to do so.  Of course the majority of people watching will identify with Penny more than the four guys and Amy - that's the idea.  Every sitcom essentially follows this same format.  You'll have a cast of characters who are eccentric in various ways and then the 'straight character' through which the viewer observes their world and their interactions with ordinary people.  That's what allows shows like this to appeal to a mainstream audience in the first place.

He never says it out loud, but the author seems to be deeply uncomfortable with the show because it highlights, and ridicules many of the things that he is himself insecure about.  When me and my (geek) friends watch TBBT, we laugh when the show makes fun of various aspects of geek culture.  We are all in our mid 30s and long ago lost any of the social embarrassment associated with being geeks.  Maybe it's because he is young (he says he is still at university) and the memories of getting bullied at school for being 'different' are still fresh.  Maybe I would have felt the same 15 years ago.  He seems to be wanting a show where somehow geeks were portrayed in a realistic yet wholly positive light, as if that would somehow make him feel better about who he is and make society understand him better.  Rather than a necessity, he seems to think it something of a betrayal that a show about geeks dares to make fun of them.

I don't watch much TV, but I've seen enough of TBBT to strongly dislike it--not because it makes fun of geeks/nerds, but because its premise is making fun of geeks/nerds.  I mean, you have to poke fun at everyone, it's a sitcom.  But without the making fun of geeks/nerds aspect, there is literally no show.

In addition, the portrayal in TBBT is... beyond over the top.  I mean, your average nerd/geek looks a lot more like me than the guys on TBBT.  They've taken the extremes and are making fun of the whole spectrum of geeks/nerds by focusing on the extremes, despite the extremes not being what the average nerd/geek would likely wish to represent them.

Now I could play the victim card here; this sort of misrepresentation of women, minorities, etc. happens all the time and is pretty awful.  The difference here is that nerds run the world so, you know, make fun of us if you want.  Just don't complain when we don't come to fix your computer.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2013, 06:13:52 pm »

Series 1 and 2 of Big Bang Theory was good, the jokes were intelligent and funny.

Recently its rubbish, its friends with a bit of science talk thrown in as an afterthought. Yawwwwn.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2013, 10:21:09 pm »

Series 1 and 2 of Big Bang Theory was good, the jokes were intelligent and funny.

Recently its rubbish, its friends with a bit of science talk thrown in as an afterthought. Yawwwwn.

Big Bang Theory is the Blossom sequel thing?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2013, 11:41:49 am »

In addition, the portrayal in TBBT is... beyond over the top.  I mean, your average nerd/geek looks a lot more like me than the guys on TBBT.  They've taken the extremes and are making fun of the whole spectrum of geeks/nerds by focusing on the extremes, despite the extremes not being what the
average nerd/geek would likely wish to represent them.

I agree the characters aren't the greatest, that's my biggest personal peeve with the show.  Howard is a rather strange character all round and Raj just seems like a non-character really, while Sheldon is obviously an extreme persona by design.  Leonard is vaguely realistic, but he reminds me of the geeks down the years I have really hated.  I think part of the problem is that they have tried to create characters that embrace all the quirks of several different kinds of geeks (science geeks, gamer geeks, sci-fi geeks, computer geeks etc) all at once.

But at the end of the day you don't get to choose who represents you in Sitcoms.  That's why they are sitcoms and not documentaries.  I doubt politicians like their caricatures in The Thick of It, or doctors in Scrubs, or IT Professionals in The IT Crowd.  While TBBT does make fun of geeks, I don't think it is done in a malicious or insensitive way.  And you can tell from a lot of the themes in the show that they have done their research on a lot of things, even if those things make us geeks look at ourselves and acknowledge things about ourselves and our peers that maybe we would not like.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.619 seconds with 21 queries.