Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: A super random question  (Read 8664 times)

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
Re: A super random question
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 09:44:51 am »

Assuming 0 strategy I wonder how many turns it could take to get to $8 (if at all before a 3-pile). I seem to remember in my early games that only 1-2 provinces would get bought before the game would 3-pile on an over-abundance of terminals or cheap $2 cards.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 10:05:49 am »
+1

Instead of putting a cost to each type of player, it might be easier to do it in terms of turns.

Buying a lv 10 - skip Turn 1
Buying a lv 20 - skip Turn 1/2
Buying a lv 45 - skip Turn 1-4?

There is too much importance in the beginning, especially in terms of trashing, that the player can have more of an impact at the start. 

Another way to look at it is if the player is playing poorly and buys a lv 45 after, the lv 45 won't be able to recover with what is in the deck.  OR the deck is actually pretty decent, in which buying a lv 45 would probably be not as useful as the $8 purchase. 

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 11:01:48 am »
+1

Instead of putting a cost to each type of player, it might be easier to do it in terms of turns.

Buying a lv 10 - skip Turn 1
Buying a lv 20 - skip Turn 1/2
Buying a lv 45 - skip Turn 1-4?

There is too much importance in the beginning, especially in terms of trashing, that the player can have more of an impact at the start. 

Another way to look at it is if the player is playing poorly and buys a lv 45 after, the lv 45 won't be able to recover with what is in the deck.  OR the deck is actually pretty decent, in which buying a lv 45 would probably be not as useful as the $8 purchase.

Yikes.  I would never give up 2 turns against a lvl 20. 
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 11:34:47 am »

Anything for $8 is too late. It may seem like level 45 players are wizards, but they usually build something nice starting from the beginning of the game. If they have to start with a deck full of junk and turn 12-15 or whatever, they may have a lot of digging their way out to do. If you start with a level 20 player at $5, you can just close out the game too fast for anyone to dig their way out of that kind of mess.

I'm going to disagree, level 45s are totally wizards and no one can convince me otherwise. That being said, I agree that 8 is probably too ridiculous of a price point and that 6 would probably have been better.

We are. But we also lose to Lvl 20-30s reasonably often depending on board. Starting out from way behind is only going to make it that much worse.

Then again, if they sell out to get $8, they might have something reasonably close to a decent BM starter.

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 12:26:44 pm »

Then again, if they sell out to get $8, they might have something reasonably close to a decent BM starter.

But if they're playing a BM deck, how much difference is the lvl 45 going to make?

When I first read the question, I thought the cost was in terms of VP. That is, if you pick the level 10 and I pick the level 45, I have to beat you by 4 VP, but I don't give up any turns or what not. So obviously this is highly board dependent, but under that scenario, I'm curious what folks think would be appropriate point spreads for the given levels (10, 20, 45).

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 11:03:49 am »

But if they're playing a BM deck, how much difference is the lvl 45 going to make?

When I first read the question, I thought the cost was in terms of VP. That is, if you pick the level 10 and I pick the level 45, I have to beat you by 4 VP, but I don't give up any turns or what not. So obviously this is highly board dependent, but under that scenario, I'm curious what folks think would be appropriate point spreads for the given levels (10, 20, 45).

This is VASTLY board-dependent. On tight boards, a high-level player tends to win by a few points through superior greening strategy, and any cost above 3VP is likely trouble. On many boards, a higher-skill player can win by any arbitrary amount, so there is no appropriate balancing cost.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 22 queries.