Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: Android: Netrunner  (Read 51196 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Android: Netrunner
« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2015, 05:24:29 pm »

chairs, I really wouldn't recommend this game if you don't have a good local playgroup.  I feel like even more so than Magic, a lot of the magic (no pun intended) is lost in an online game.

OTOH, I have an awesome local playgroup and am quitting like all other board games for netrunner.  My town is sending like 8 people to Worlds, even.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2015, 12:03:39 pm »

I mean, I play MtG almost exclusively online using Mumble and Jabber in conjunction with Cockatrice.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2015, 12:06:39 pm »

There is something cool about having the servers laid out in front of you, but I think it's still pretty fun online.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2015, 12:12:35 pm »

yeah I like online MTG a lot more than online Netrunner

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2015, 12:22:15 pm »

Yeah I'm biased - I don't like MTG very much at all. (I don't like the way the mana system ramps up so that some cards are useless at the beginning and others are useless at the end) Netrunner has a much more fluid economy, and that's more fun for me. But to each their own!

Probably just try it out once or twice and see how it goes.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2015, 01:35:10 pm »
+1

I think netrunner is the second most popular competitive card game next to MtG, now?  And yet still a tiny dwarf compared to it.

I think the new game of thrones game will probably overtake it because it's more simplistic (as far as I can tell from watching it).  That makes me sad, it's a sad reason for netrunner not to be the premiere LCG.  Caprice would be a way better reason.

I have heard lots of rumors that FFG wants Game of Thrones, or failing that, their upcoming Lo5R, to overtake Netrunner, because the liscensing deals on those is more generous and they have to pay too heavy a proportion of the profits on Netrunner on the liscensing deal. 

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2015, 08:22:48 pm »

I think netrunner is the second most popular competitive card game next to MtG, now?  And yet still a tiny dwarf compared to it.

I think the new game of thrones game will probably overtake it because it's more simplistic (as far as I can tell from watching it).  That makes me sad, it's a sad reason for netrunner not to be the premiere LCG.  Caprice would be a way better reason.

I have heard lots of rumors that FFG wants Game of Thrones, or failing that, their upcoming Lo5R, to overtake Netrunner, because the liscensing deals on those is more generous and they have to pay too heavy a proportion of the profits on Netrunner on the liscensing deal.

next to MtG and HS, tho :P
What about YGO, Pokemon?

We had some small ANR scene here locally, tho it kinda broke down now mostly cuz only a few people had more than a an expansion or two, and due to some LGS management change. :s

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 23, 2015, 04:16:40 pm »

HS doesn't count, you can't play it with paper or play it on a tabletop.  You could bring two tablets anyplace and battle it out, but the game is not set up to where you want to, it's much more geared towards putting a deck together and seeing if you can grind out 12 out of 20 wins the next time you play ladder.

Yu Gi Oh is not bigger in my area, as far as I can tell.  Which is good, because that game sucks.  Few games are so bad that I want to hate on them.  But I feel like Yu Gi Oh is the farmville of board and card games or something.  Just awful.

PTCG is much better than Yu Gi Oh, and does pretty well.  Admittedly there are more people playing PTCG at my local game store than those playing Netrunner.  The demographic is totally different though.  Little kids are playing it, and there parents are playing it.  Which I think is kind of cool.  It's not as cerebral as Magic or Netrunner, but it still has plenty going on.  It's probably a counterexample to "Netrunner is the second most popular CCG" in some sense.  But the game is also published by WotC and is rather deliberately intended to not overlap with MtG at all.  I like to dream that one of these other little games will topple Magic, which is absolutely silly of me, I can't really dream that for PTCG.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 23, 2015, 04:18:22 pm »
+2

Captain Frisk disappeared into netrunner, for anyone who didn't know. 

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 23, 2015, 05:29:24 pm »

HS doesn't count, you can't play it with paper or play it on a tabletop.  You could bring two tablets anyplace and battle it out, but the game is not set up to where you want to, it's much more geared towards putting a deck together and seeing if you can grind out 12 out of 20 wins the next time you play ladder.

Yu Gi Oh is not bigger in my area, as far as I can tell.  Which is good, because that game sucks.  Few games are so bad that I want to hate on them.  But I feel like Yu Gi Oh is the farmville of board and card games or something.  Just awful.

PTCG is much better than Yu Gi Oh, and does pretty well.  Admittedly there are more people playing PTCG at my local game store than those playing Netrunner.  The demographic is totally different though.  Little kids are playing it, and there parents are playing it.  Which I think is kind of cool.  It's not as cerebral as Magic or Netrunner, but it still has plenty going on.  It's probably a counterexample to "Netrunner is the second most popular CCG" in some sense.  But the game is also published by WotC and is rather deliberately intended to not overlap with MtG at all.  I like to dream that one of these other little games will topple Magic, which is absolutely silly of me, I can't really dream that for PTCG.

I agree on YGO. We have small amount of people playing, kinds mostly, but the game is horrid. I never saw anybody play Pokemons, nor know how.

MTG will be hard or impossible to topple. I do love Netrunner, but to be serious competiton to magic, it needs better torunament structure. For the small amout of time I've been following it, it changed many times, and I don't really liek any iteration.
For example, I saw if I win 7-4, you must win 7-4 next game for match win. I saw score doesn't matter, you can only gain 1,0 or 2 points in a match.
I also saw horrid example where playoffs are best of 1 - where better position player choose to be Runner or Corp. Ugh, so sucky  - esp as by playoffs you know what your opponent is playing.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 23, 2015, 07:58:57 pm »

Just discovered Jinteki re: these posts. Pretty good interface. I've been playing around with it. Won the first game I played, but I'm unsure what the caliber of play is here.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2016, 04:34:31 pm »
+1

Netrunner consumes my life now.

I want to thank Makingfun that their client is so garbage that I am into a totally different game now.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2016, 05:56:46 am »

I'm thinking of getting back into Netrunner now that a couple of friends started playing more and I got news about the Most Wanted list or whatever it's called. When I heard about the list, the first five cards I could think of that would fit a list like that were on it. Yog was a surprise to me as I haven't really seen it, but I guess there's been some recent Code Gates that needed breaking. Then there were some new cards that I didn't even know existed.

But I'm currently more than 1,5 whole cycles and two deluxe expansions behind.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2016, 09:57:36 am »

I'm thinking of getting back into Netrunner now that a couple of friends started playing more and I got news about the Most Wanted list or whatever it's called. When I heard about the list, the first five cards I could think of that would fit a list like that were on it. Yog was a surprise to me as I haven't really seen it, but I guess there's been some recent Code Gates that needed breaking. Then there were some new cards that I didn't even know existed.

But I'm currently more than 1,5 whole cycles and two deluxe expansions behind.
Yog is a weird fellow.  The thing is, all the red decks were running 3x Data Sucker, 3x Parasite, usually Ice Carver and occasionally Net-Ready Eyes (a cheap hardware that can give an ice breaker 1 strength temporarily).  In that kind of environment Yog becomes a strength 3 with "0: break code gate sub" and "1: +1 strength", because you have access to all these abilities that cost roughly a credit to activate and let Yog meet the strength of any Ice it needs to match.

That means it's the best codegate icebreaker for Anarchs (though Noise skipped it because he likes to do silly stuff instead of playing Netrunner).  It's actually fine that it's the best code gate icebreaker for Anarchs.  Gordian Blade is the best code gate breaker for shapers and Passport is the best code gate Icebreaker for criminals.  That's all ok.

The problem is that future design was stifled by knowing Yog.0 would just be hanging around all the time.  The design team can't make a cool neutral code gate with 3 strength, a sub "the runner draws a card, then trashes two cards from his or her grip", "The runner loses 1 credit", and "End the run" (made up example).  Because no one would ever, ever play it, because Yog is omnipresent as Anarch's best breaker.  Gordian blade doesn't stifle design this way (it stifles design for a code gate that says "When you encounter this code gate, all codegates in this server gain +2 strength", but that's much more narrow than everything strength 3).  Passport doesn't stifle design this way either.

The designer said Yog being on the list was for the sake of making new cards more so than Yog's current strength.  There's common consensus that raw power wise it's one of the weakest cards on the list of right now, but the idea is that putting it on the list is a helpful good idea going forward.

The main current impact is that you can play more Yagura, play a Viktor 1.0 and that not be awful, and counter Faust by putting Turing on a central without getting wrecked for trying to make your opponent pay credits to break ice.

It's definitely the opposite of "there's some recent Code Gates that need breaking"  4 out of the last 5 code gates release have had more than 3 strength, perhaps because design felt the need to evade Yog, and the 3 strength code gate has never touched a sleeve (and looks a bit like a funzie card that wasn't definitely supposed to)

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2016, 10:07:07 am »

That's a compelling argument. ;) My thoughts were just the first that came to my mind.

The thing is. When I played (although not nearly at a higher level) nobody really played Yog, and people hardly played code gates, except for a very select few. Pop-up Window and Tollbooth comes to mind. I think there was another NBN one, but I can't remember. I didn't really consider them not being played because of Yog or if they weren't barriers.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2016, 08:58:37 pm »

Anyone wanna play sometime? I need to practice against RP for my upcoming tournaments, and I can't ask my friends, because, well, they're entering and would see my secrets haha
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.