Archive > LCG General Discussion

Android: Netrunner

(1/29) > >>

sherwinpr:
Has anyone tried this yet, or played the original? 

I bought two core sets of the new game (probably a bit excessive), and so far the rules seem very interesting, and I enjoy most of the artwork and graphic design (choice of fonts, etc.) on the cards, but I've yet to get a chance to play.  It seems different than most LCG/CCGs, in that a lot of the game is in the playing portion, rather than primarily being restricted to the deck design portion.  I thought it might appeal to some people on these forums.

Davio:
It's 2p, right?

I liked Dominion because it allowed me to play with more than 2 (yes, it's possible!).
This is also a reason I didn't like Magic or any other such 2p game (yes, I know about multiplayer Magic).

So it's not for me as I don't have a regular gaming partner to play this with.

sherwinpr:

--- Quote from: Davio on September 12, 2012, 02:08:08 am ---It's 2p, right?

I liked Dominion because it allowed me to play with more than 2 (yes, it's possible!).
This is also a reason I didn't like Magic or any other such 2p game (yes, I know about multiplayer Magic).

So it's not for me as I don't have a regular gaming partner to play this with.

--- End quote ---

Yes it's a 2P game (with the playing styles of the two sides being very asymmetrical).

Davio:
With asymmetrical play you always have to be wary of "A few Acres of Snow" problems....
But Twilight Struggle proves it can be done beautifully.

sherwinpr:
Android: Netrunner is even more assymetric than those games (although I don't have direct experience with A Few Acres of Snow).  Rather than just the cards being different, the fundamental rules governing the two sides are different.  In a game like Twilight Struggle the only (but the use of the word only here is ridiculous) difference between the two sides are action resolution order, the cards that benefit them, initial configuration (location of home countries, possession of China card, influence placement, etc.)  Yes, the two sides are radically different, and feel and play differently, and have strengths in different stages of the game, but I mean they both play and resolve cards, space race, manipulate the def con, use ops, etc. in fundamentally the same way.

In Android: Netrunner, not only are the two side's cards different and the wind conditions different, they have complete different actions available to them, and one side brings nearly all its cards into play facedown, as a sort of bluffing mechanic, and can try to mislead the other player into confusing their valuable and decoy facedown cards, while the other side's cards come into play in a more traditional way, and are organized very differently.  In fact, card types for the two sides are typically different also.

That's not to say Android: Netrunner is better than Twilight Struggle; I haven't even played the former yet, I'm just saying that the degree of asymmetry is different, which can be a good thing, a bad thing, or a neutral thing.  I haven't played many board games that are genuinely asymmetrical to this extent; War of the Ring is quite asymmetrical, though the two sides resolve combat in a similar manner.  Certain deduction games probably count though.  And of course, games like "Hide and Go Seek", "Tag", etc. are genuinely asymmetrical.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version