Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Knights!  (Read 17128 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Knights!
« on: September 09, 2012, 05:27:26 pm »
+1

So, I was playing Dark Ages with Robz and Axe Knight over the weekend, and we tested out a few of the kingdoms.  We did a lot with Knights.  I sort of monopolized them, but because I was focusing on those, and Robz was just buying Silver and Gold, he still managed to pull a win, despite my incessant trashing.

Also, Graverobbing Pillages is a lot of fun, especially when you never actually bought a Pillage.  Also a good way to recover your Knights when they trash each other.

Cultist is a beast.  It can work so fast because of the chaining, and Ruins just slow your deck down to absolutely nothing.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

gryph202

• Baron
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
Re: Knights!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 06:34:30 pm »

So, I was playing Dark Ages with Robz and Axe Knight over the weekend, and we tested out a few of the kingdoms.  We did a lot with Knights.  I sort of monopolized them, but because I was focusing on those, and Robz was just buying Silver and Gold, he still managed to pull a win, despite my incessant trashing.

Also, Graverobbing Pillages is a lot of fun, especially when you never actually bought a Pillage.  Also a good way to recover your Knights when they trash each other.

Cultist is a beast.  It can work so fast because of the chaining, and Ruins just slow your deck down to absolutely nothing.

I personally find ruins to be a bit of a double-edged sword.  Since they're not completely useless like curses (though they are pretty close), they can be worked around.  Have you ever tried sacrificing cultists on the altars?  That can be pretty rad, too.

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you view it, forced trashing is no longer as frustrating to me as it used to be.  There is no longer an absolute guarantee that trashing a card means it's gone permanently, so even forced trashing can be worked around with the proper foresight.

I think at this point my single-favorite card from DA is feodum, though that is most certainly subject to change the more I play.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 07:21:40 pm »
+1

Cultist on a Procession is much more awesome.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

gryph202

• Baron
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 12:10:52 am »

Cultist on a Procession is much more awesome.

I can see where it would be, but I have yet to pull it off.  I'll have to be on the lookout for that one.  I kind of like the whole cultist/altar theme for its thematics moreso than the actual gameplay effects.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 01:56:09 am »

I haven't loved knights yet I normally ignore them.

Also played a board with IGG and Cultist. This was a fascniating board to me so we played it a few times the winner was always the person who bought 3 cultists BEFORE IGG's and then hammered IGG's
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 08:38:04 am »

Re: Cultist

One game I tried I used Procession on Fortress repeatedly (just for utility) but took a Cultist as the upgrade. As I started processioning them too the Cultists just took off and the game swung completely, with all the ruins disappearing in about 2 turns. So yeah, Cultists can be ace, and I think the synergy with procession is particularly notable when the ruins are running low : the on-trash effect is so good and probably won't need the cultist anymore. Very nice. The other player was in the lead, having opened with Dame Anna (trashing knight) which was awesome and just taking off from there, but with a slim deck the ruins dump just crippled them and it was over for them.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:41:23 am by Octo »

Scissors61

• Salvager
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 10:11:54 am »

Cultist's on-trash ability, coupled with it's attack, make it invaluable and one of my favorite cards in all of Dominion. Plus, I've read Call of Cthulu.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 11:20:53 am »

One of the sets we played was one of the recommended Dark Ages/Hinterlands set. It was the one with Tunnel. Well, it's a really good board for Tunnel. Storeroom and Catacombs are terrific Tunnel boosters. I won with some ridiculous number of Golds.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 11:24:25 am »

One of the sets we played was one of the recommended Dark Ages/Hinterlands set. It was the one with Tunnel. Well, it's a really good board for Tunnel. Storeroom and Catacombs are terrific Tunnel boosters. I won with some ridiculous number of Golds.

Hey more info time! Did anyone else go Altar/Highway on that board? In the few games of that board I played I was always able to beat Tunnel+Storeroom with Altar/Highway
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 11:30:54 am »

Hey more info time! Did anyone else go Altar/Highway on that board? In the few games of that board I played I was always able to beat Tunnel+Storeroom with Altar/Highway

Both of my opponents tried for that in vain. However, they sort of took too long coming around to it. (And the fact that there were 2 of them to split the Highways probably didn't help).

Played optimally between 2 people, the Altar/Highway route MIGHT be better, but I'm not so sure. The Tunnel strategy has a lot of things going for it. Storeroom may just be the cheapest/best Tunnel enabler yet (it's a Cellar AND a Secret Chamber!), and Catacombs, oh, and Crossroads is present, furthering advantaging a Tunnel strategy.

It should be further noted that I had a 5/2 start, whereas they both had 3/4. I'm not sure who's plan is better served by such and such openings. I opened Catacombs/Crossroads and then got the Tunnels. If I had 3/4 it probably would have been Tunnel/Storeroom.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 11:35:13 am »

Both of my opponents tried for that in vain. However, they sort of took too long coming around to it. (And the fact that there were 2 of them to split the Highways probably didn't help).

Played optimally between 2 people, the Altar/Highway route MIGHT be better, but I'm not so sure. The Tunnel strategy has a lot of things going for it. Storeroom may just be the cheapest/best Tunnel enabler yet (it's a Cellar AND a Secret Chamber!), and Catacombs, oh, and Crossroads is present, furthering advantaging a Tunnel strategy.

It should be further noted that I had a 5/2 start, whereas they both had 3/4. I'm not sure who's plan is better served by such and such openings. I opened Catacombs/Crossroads and then got the Tunnels. If I had 3/4 it probably would have been Tunnel/Storeroom.

It is true that 2 people going for highways is going to make it a bit weaker but you only need 3. That said with 12 provinces available its going to slam the highway altar deck super quick if you need to get more than 4 or 5 green cards. I also always take a crossroads so that I can double/triple altar, and I think there was another trasher on that board? Did they end up grabbing any crossroads? More than 1 altar? any other source of trash?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 11:37:41 am »

It is true that 2 people going for highways is going to make it a bit weaker but you only need 3. That said with 12 provinces available its going to slam the highway altar deck super quick if you need to get more than 4 or 5 green cards. I also always take a crossroads so that I can double/triple altar, and I think there was another trasher on that board? Did they end up grabbing any crossroads? More than 1 altar? any other source of trash?

I don't quite remember... maybe Wero does? They did NOT have multiple Altars. I THINK the other trasher might have been Spice Merchant. Actually, I think SM maybe helps the opening for the Tunnel plan too, but like I said, I had 5/2.

They did have Crossroads. I think they both started out attempting the Tunnel plan, but they never got the Catacombs and mine just took off quicker. I had several Storerooms and at least 2 Catacombs.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 11:38:40 am »
+1

I love how you remember exactly what our openings were.  I barely even remember I was going for Altar.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 11:40:48 am »

I love how you remember exactly what our openings were.  I barely even remember I was going for Altar.

I tend to remember these things! :)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 11:43:28 am »
+1

I don't quite remember... maybe Wero does? They did NOT have multiple Altars. I THINK the other trasher might have been Spice Merchant. Actually, I think SM maybe helps the opening for the Tunnel plan too, but like I said, I had 5/2.

They did have Crossroads. I think they both started out attempting the Tunnel plan, but they never got the Catacombs and mine just took off quicker. I had several Storerooms and at least 2 Catacombs.

It was Spice Merchant.  We both got one Altar, but never got around to using it - our decks were too thick, and that kingdom didn't have any draw aside from Storeroom.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 11:44:30 am »

And Catacombs! Really can't say enough good things about Catacombs.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 11:57:17 am »

Do you think Catacombs is going to be preferable to Embassy for card draw?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 12:00:12 pm »
+1

Catacombs and Embassy do rather different things.  Catacombs does offer more cycling in that it can potentially go through 6 cards instead of 5, but Embassy allows you to discard cards already in your hand - Catacombs only discards the first three you draw, so I would probably prefer Embassy.  Catacombs is still pretty damn good, though.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 12:02:17 pm »

I am going to guess that Embassy is preferable. Catacombs gives you 3 cards and says "Do you want these or not?" Embassy let's you get rid of the junk you already have in your hand, if you like. So really, Embassy is going to be better, I think, almost always. But it's not a million times better, and it's already a very good card, so Catacombs doesn't suffer too much in the comparison.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 12:04:51 pm »

Maybe prefer Catacombs if free Silver would help your opponent a lot?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 12:06:17 pm »

Yes, this is true, but I'm trying to think up a situation where that free Silver is so consequential. If you open 5/2, and Catacombs and Embassy are both present, would you go Catacombs to avoid giving your opponent that free Silver before his reshuffle? I think the answer there may very well be yes.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 12:12:38 pm »

Yes, this is true, but I'm trying to think up a situation where that free Silver is so consequential. If you open 5/2, and Catacombs and Embassy are both present, would you go Catacombs to avoid giving your opponent that free Silver before his reshuffle? I think the answer there may very well be yes.

Yes.

Embassy is a great card on turn 3/4/5, but a dangerous card to open with. Giving your opponent an extra silver before the first reshuffle is very dangerous...

Ed

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 12:13:08 pm »

Feodum would probably be a reason as well.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 12:13:14 pm »
+1

It could certainly make the difference in Feodum games, which we played one of.  Only Rob went for it though - the rest of us just used them as Silver pinatas (using Hermit).  I believe I won that one through sheer force of Provinces.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 12:21:30 pm »

Oh, another situation where you would prefer Catacombs over Embassy would be if you are suffering from handsize-decreasing attacks. You would much prefer Catacombs then.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.229 seconds with 20 queries.