Miscellaneous > General Discussion

Online Movie Reviewers

(1/2) > >>

michaeljb:
Anyone like to watch people talk about movies online? I quite enjoy it myself, even when I disagree. I like watching Confused Matthew, Doug Walker (and others at tgwtg), Brad Jones (he is featured on tgwtg, but he's got his own site with more content from him and his friends), and Jeremy Jahns (actually the only I listed here who primarily uses YouTube).

Archetype:
I enjoy reading movie reviews, but I tend to stick to simpler stuff like Rotten Tomatoes than to professional Movie Reviewers.

Robz888:
I go to the AV Club for all my TV and movie reviews. http://www.avclub.com/

cayvie:
this guy is pretty good tbh

Brando Commando:

--- Quote from: Robz888 on September 07, 2012, 07:53:22 pm ---I go to the AV Club for all my TV and movie reviews. http://www.avclub.com/

--- End quote ---

I really like the AV Club. I find writing about movies on the Internet to fall (really broadly speaking) into one of two categories: First, there are the reviews of mainstream films in a mainstream way that appeal to the average person. These typically focus on a few details relevant to the people trying to determine if they want to see the movie -- so-and-so actor was good, these jokes are scatological, the plot is compelling, etc. Sometimes these are well written, but often they're meandering.

Then there are the more serious film studies people with their own, somewhat segregated sites, and those reviews are generally more insightful, but sometimes not very well argued, maybe because they assume the reader is already with them. These are often not very well written, but for different reasons than the mainstream reviews -- usually these are more focused, but often they're unnecessarily long-winded. (I think this might have something to do with the way academics vs. professional writers think about writing).

The AV Club combines the best of both these worlds. They're insightful about the whole gestalt of the movie, instead of just focusing on an assortment of details as mainstream pop-culture critics do, but then they write better than the film studies people because, well, it's more fun to read that way.

--- Quote from: cayvie on September 09, 2012, 01:02:14 am ---this guy is pretty good tbh

--- End quote ---

I seem to be the only person -- high- or low-brow -- who doesn't like Roger Ebert. I could (briefly) pick apart a review if you're curious. He's in the unfortunate position of needing to write a page-ish about crappy movies that don't deserve that much attention but then also needing to keep his analysis of great movies that deserve lots of attention to the same 1 page (or so) limit. More or less, I think his analyses suffer from the problem I'm ascribing to mainstream reviewers above.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version