Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25  All

Author Topic: A joke thread  (Read 183835 times)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
Re: A joke thread
« Reply #400 on: December 03, 2014, 08:42:27 pm »

Oh! Oh! Know what this thread needs? New business jokes!

[...]

I have a new business.
What's your new business?
I'm working at Goko.
How is business?
Everyone keeps Making Fun of me.
Fixed it for you. :)
I was thinking about capitalizing it but I kind of wanted the... subtlety?
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 03, 2014, 08:48:01 pm »
+1

[...]

I have a new business.
I'm working at Goko.
How is business?
for what it's worth, I prefer the original version

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 03, 2014, 09:04:03 pm »
+3

[...]

I have a new business.
I'm working at Goko.
How is business?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #403 on: December 03, 2014, 10:04:25 pm »
+2

[...]

I have a new business.
I'm working at Goko.
How is business?
I don't disagree, but this is f.ds where explaining jokes is funnier than the actual joke.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 03, 2014, 10:08:53 pm »
+5

[...]

I have a new business.
I'm working at Goko.
How is business?
I don't disagree, but this is f.ds where explaining jokes is funnier than the actual joke.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: December 03, 2014, 11:13:19 pm »
+1

"this triangle looks dangerous"

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 04, 2014, 02:10:52 am »
+9

Elanchana's Goko joke was a double meaning.  First, it accurately points out that Goko was often made fun of.  Second, it is a play on words because Making Fun is the name of the company that took over Dominion Online after Goko.  Or Goko changed their name to Making Fun.  I am still not entirely clear on that.  In any case, this particular play on words was pointed out when Making Fun was first brought to the attention of the community.

enfynet's "correction" capitalized "Making Fun" in order to make the joke more expicit.  It is unclear whether enfynet did not realize that was part of the joke in the first place.  enfynet subsequently stated that f.ds enjoys joke explanations.  This appears to be a defense of his "correction", though it is still unclear whether that was the original intent or if it is an attempt to cover up an earlier misunderstanding. 

If the former, the execution was lacking.  Witherweaver's use of the Nathan Fillion gif is a statement that enfynet's point is objectionable, but it is unclear how, since he is correct that f.ds often uses joke explanations for humor.  Given that, how can Witherweaver object?  (Well, that is how I interpret it.  Witherweaver may correct me if I am mistaken.)

But I can elucidate.  By posting the explanation in the form of a "correction", the joke is not actually explained.  Yes, the joke is made more obvious, but no explanation is delivered.  An example of a proper explanation follows:

Elanchana's Goko joke was a double meaning.  First, it accurately points out that Goko was often made fun of.  Second, it is a play on words because Making Fun is the name of the company that took over Dominion Online after Goko.  Or Goko changed their name to Making Fun.  I am still not entirely clear on that. 

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 04, 2014, 08:16:43 am »
+2

Second, it is a play on words because Making Fun is the name of the company that took over Dominion Online after Goko.  Or Goko changed their name to Making Fun.  I am still not entirely clear on that.
Making Fun was an unrelated existing company with their own stuff going on. I think Goko still exists as an entity for paperwork or something like that, I guess I'm not entirely clear on that one. But Making Fun isn't Goko. They did hire Jeff though, who worked at Goko.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 04, 2014, 09:15:42 am »
+4

There are two kinds of people:

...those who enjoy dark humor and those who had their legs amputated.

...those who understand this joke and those who understand paradoxes.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 04, 2014, 09:21:00 am »

Elanchana's Goko joke was a double meaning.  First, it accurately points out that Goko was often made fun of.  Second, it is a play on words because Making Fun is the name of the company that took over Dominion Online after Goko.  Or Goko changed their name to Making Fun.  I am still not entirely clear on that.  In any case, this particular play on words was pointed out when Making Fun was first brought to the attention of the community.

enfynet's "correction" capitalized "Making Fun" in order to make the joke more expicit.  It is unclear whether enfynet did not realize that was part of the joke in the first place.  enfynet subsequently stated that f.ds enjoys joke explanations.  This appears to be a defense of his "correction", though it is still unclear whether that was the original intent or if it is an attempt to cover up an earlier misunderstanding. 

If the former, the execution was lacking.  Witherweaver's use of the Nathan Fillion gif is a statement that enfynet's point is objectionable, but it is unclear how, since he is correct that f.ds often uses joke explanations for humor.  Given that, how can Witherweaver object?  (Well, that is how I interpret it.  Witherweaver may correct me if I am mistaken.)

But I can elucidate.  By posting the explanation in the form of a "correction", the joke is not actually explained.  Yes, the joke is made more obvious, but no explanation is delivered.  An example of a proper explanation follows:

Elanchana's Goko joke was a double meaning.  First, it accurately points out that Goko was often made fun of.  Second, it is a play on words because Making Fun is the name of the company that took over Dominion Online after Goko.  Or Goko changed their name to Making Fun.  I am still not entirely clear on that.

I actually wanted to find a "well, that's a good point" reaction gif, but couldn't find the right one.  I wanted the one from community where the two guys look at each other and then point with a "hey, nice" kind of look.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 04, 2014, 09:21:47 am »
+2

Second, it is a play on words because Making Fun is the name of the company that took over Dominion Online after Goko.  Or Goko changed their name to Making Fun.  I am still not entirely clear on that.
Making Fun was an unrelated existing company with their own stuff going on. I think Goko still exists as an entity for paperwork or something like that, I guess I'm not entirely clear on that one. But Making Fun isn't Goko. They did hire Jeff though, who worked at Goko.

Can someone explain this joke?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 04, 2014, 10:28:25 am »
+7

Can someone explain this joke?

Certainly. The joke is that you're asking to for explanation on something you refer as a joke that's clearly a serious post. This is funny because the post was about goko and Making Fun and how they're two different things. This can be interpreted as a defense of MF, even though MF is widely considered to be just as bad as Goko in this forum. Implying that the post is a joke is an attack on this defense, resulting in a direct loss of dignity.

The second joke is the usage of "this", which on first glance is a reference to Donald's post, but on second glance is also a reference to itself. This is particularly clever, because although the post you quoted was not a joke, hence asking to explain it seems nonsensical, it is completely justified if "this" is interpreted like I described above.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 10:29:41 am by silverspawn »

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #412 on: December 04, 2014, 10:31:20 am »

MF is the abbreviation for Millennium Force on most of the other sites I visit.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 04, 2014, 11:08:12 am »

But who is Jeff?
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 04, 2014, 11:10:38 am »

But who is Jeff?

Pretty sure it was the punchline.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 04, 2014, 11:42:46 am »
+1

I knew this one with a different structure:

"Dark humour is like a pair of legs. Not everybody has it."
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 04, 2014, 12:50:10 pm »
+2

This is very good.  At first glance, formatting of the post would suggest that the topic sentence has correctly signposted that two descriptors are to come, and indeed two 'bullets' appear.  However, depending on the reader's interpretation of the relationship between the coordinating conjunction "and" and the second occurrence of the demonstrative pronoun "those" in each bullet, it is unclear which of the following is being represented:

a) "kind of people" #1 is that population formed by the intersection of those enjoying dark humor and those having both legs amputated, and by extension "kind of people" #2 is that population formed by the intersection of those that understand the joke and those who understand paradoxes, OR
b) two kinds of people are listed in the first bullet, and two MORE kinds of people are listed in the second people, for a total (at a  minimum) of FOUR kinds of people rather than the two that were signposted.

This perceived lack of clarity is clearly the very basis of the paradox referred to therein, giving rise to a 'nested paradox', if you will - the use of the word paradox within, rather than as a signpost for, the actual paradox.

Semanticists and/or pedants may argue whether this was truly a paradox, and grammarians may argue as to whether the second use of the demonstrative pronoun in each bullet makes it clear that there are two populations described in each bullet.  Nonetheless, the overall effect is both subtly funny AND paradoxical, fully qualifying it for the thread.  Masterful, indeed.

TL;DR - Venn diagrams are your friend.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 04, 2014, 01:05:34 pm »

I would fall in both the "semanticist and/or pedant" and "grammarian" categories, despite being pretty underqualified for the latter.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 04, 2014, 04:55:26 pm »
+2

This is very good.  At first glance, formatting of the post would suggest that the topic sentence has correctly signposted that two descriptors are to come, and indeed two 'bullets' appear.  However, depending on the reader's interpretation of the relationship between the coordinating conjunction "and" and the second occurrence of the demonstrative pronoun "those" in each bullet, it is unclear which of the following is being represented:

a) "kind of people" #1 is that population formed by the intersection of those enjoying dark humor and those having both legs amputated, and by extension "kind of people" #2 is that population formed by the intersection of those that understand the joke and those who understand paradoxes, OR
b) two kinds of people are listed in the first bullet, and two MORE kinds of people are listed in the second people, for a total (at a  minimum) of FOUR kinds of people rather than the two that were signposted.

This perceived lack of clarity is clearly the very basis of the paradox referred to therein, giving rise to a 'nested paradox', if you will - the use of the word paradox within, rather than as a signpost for, the actual paradox.

Semanticists and/or pedants may argue whether this was truly a paradox, and grammarians may argue as to whether the second use of the demonstrative pronoun in each bullet makes it clear that there are two populations described in each bullet.  Nonetheless, the overall effect is both subtly funny AND paradoxical, fully qualifying it for the thread.  Masterful, indeed.

TL;DR - Venn diagrams are your friend.

This is funny because explaining jokes make them funnier, so you explained soulnet's jokes, but you aren't getting any respect for it haha sucks to be you.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 04, 2014, 05:29:57 pm »
+12

I made image macros (or memes, if you prefer) for blind people! Enjoy!

Yeah this was a terrible idea. Maybe someone will get a laugh out of my borderline offensive humour though. I work with a blind pupil daily anyway and he'd be okay with this, so I figure it's probably alright to post.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: December 04, 2014, 05:35:01 pm »
+10

I'm blind and I was offended by that.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 04, 2014, 05:46:23 pm »
+4

Really? I found the second one hilarious.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 04, 2014, 05:46:44 pm »
+9

That's some black humor, right there.

Here's another one:

Granted, mine is a bit off-colour.  It's #160f0d instead of #000000.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 04, 2014, 05:48:39 pm »
+8

Damn ninja'd! Hum....

I work with a blind pupil daily anyway and he'd be okay with this, so I figure it's probably alright to post.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 04, 2014, 05:52:00 pm »
+2

That's some black humor, right there.

Here's another one:

Granted, mine is a bit off-colour.  It's #160f0d instead of #000000.

I don't see any off-colors in it...

If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.