Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hmmm my thoughts  (Read 5507 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Hmmm my thoughts
« on: September 05, 2012, 09:04:19 pm »
+1

-Do not use Squire as your only Village - that is not its purpose.  The +$1 is nice, but the lack of +Cards is not.

-Death Cart me likey, though it has a lot of AP.

-I kept forgetting to top-deck for Graverobber, but I like it, especially with Death Cart and Hermit.

-Hermit is pretty nice, but having to not buy something for the Madman, beyond the first few turns, is so awkward and feels like such a waste.

-Hunting Grounds are awesome and perfectly priced.  Best with Villages other than Squire, though.

-Junk Dealer is decent, though I should probably play it in kingdoms without other trashers to really see.

-Rats are okay.  They go well with other trashers when you want to get rid of something for a +Card.

-Sage is aggravating with cheap cards.  Whenever you play one, the next card is always your Spoils or your Squire or something.

-Storeroom is a solid card - the kind you'd say "needs +Buy" for, and hey!  It has +Buy!

-Scavenger is useful.

-I really like Ironmonger, but Goko really needs to make buttons for it.

-Cultists are a delight to play.

-Marauder is the new Sea Hag.  Get with the times, people.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Hmmm my thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 11:44:00 pm »

I think Marauder is much worse than sea hag, although this could be a function of my having encountered marauder mostly on dark ages heavy boards (with lots of good trashing).

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 12:26:23 am »

-Do not use Squire as your only Village - that is not its purpose.  The +$1 is nice, but the lack of +Cards is not.

Disagree, can't wait to wreck you IRL with my awesome Squire-supported engines. :)
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 12:36:29 am »
+1

Disagree, can't wait to wreck you IRL with my awesome Squire-supported engines. :)

Key word - SUPPORT.  There's a reason why it costs $2.  They're not the kind of Village you want if you have lots of terminals AND they're your only source of +Buy, because then you're not using all of them as Villages.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 12:39:40 am »

Key word - SUPPORT.  There's a reason why it costs $2.  They're not the kind of Village you want if you have lots of terminals AND they're your only source of +Buy, because then you're not using all of them as Villages.

In that situation, I would still want them more than Hamlet or Native Village, their only competitors at that price level. Of course a good engine needs draw, but it needs it beyond what the +1 Card from other Villages is able to supply anyway. (Admittedly, my opinion may be wrongly based on a game I played with Squire where a few Alchemists all but guaranteed me drawing Squires and Smithies together).
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 12:54:28 am »
+1

I just did a solo game with my Dark Ages physical set, using Squire, Death Cart, Sage, Junk Dealer, Rats, Hunting Grounds and Hermit, which is where all this came from.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 02:51:13 am »

I think the ideal play for Hermit is to use your first Hermit to gain a Hermit and trash a junk card and gain a Madman. I'm not sure though since I haven't played with it yet.

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 11:33:38 am »

Depends on whether your goal is to use the Madman as a bootstrapper to accelerate engine creation, or if you intend to chain Madmen for a megaturn (or if you're using Hermit for something else entirely, like maybe some kind of Feodum-Squire-Graverobber-Hermit craziness). In the latter case, I think you might want to hold on to your Hermit, since swapping it for a Madman you won't use until you have 2-3 means you'll have a totally dead card for a couple of shuffles.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 11:42:59 am »

Madman has seemed very useful to me in the few games I've used it.  One big turn can make a difference, especially if not a whole lot is going on otherwise.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 12:22:31 pm »

Hermit + squire.

Pick up a bunch of both. Gain some silvers.

Then, when you are at the start of a shuffle start turning all your hermits into man men.

Next shuffle, if your aren't unlucky, you should be able to explode and draw your deck. The squires give you the actions/buys and the silvers give you the economy. Buy out the province pile and/or end the game on piles.

You just need to track how much silver you have. (works even better with that feodom card...)

Ed

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 12:26:09 pm »
+1

Ironworks a Feodum, then Hermit it for a Silver bomb?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 10:13:15 am »
+1

Just want to add, from playing on Goko:

-I rather like Altar.  It's like University, but different in ways that you might definitely consider getting both if they were both on the board.  They do different things.  University is for engine building, whereas Altar is for chopping up crap cards and turning them into engine bits (early game) or Duchies (late game).

-Processioning a Cultist is the most awesome thing to do ever.  +7 Cards!!!!!!  And you get a free Altar.  Spamming Altars is surprisingly fun.

-Ruins will grind a Big Money player to a halt.  Unless they have Adventurer.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 10:44:12 am »

I caught myself before making a big mistake.

I was on a board where the only trashers were Loan, Procession, Rebuild, and Rats. It was an interesting mix of trashing of each type, plus Rats.

Like Donald, I love Rats and always look at ways to make that card work. I had an a-ha moment when I saw that I could play Procession on Rats! Then I thought it through and realized what a terrible idea that is. That could have been awkward.

Also, Rebuild sucks with Shelters. My wife discovered that sadness.
A man has no signature

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 11:28:46 am »

My mistake with Rebuild was thinking it would be a good idea to quickly grab Estates with extra buys and then start spamming Rebuild. But I was too slow and my girlfriend bought out the Duchies while I still had way too many Estates.

Oh, that's right, I was also going to use Scavenger first to be sure it would hit Duchy. So I had that moment when I flipped my deck, went through my discard, and realized I didn't have a Duchy. Fun times!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 11:53:46 am »
+1

-Also (and I've said this before), DoubleCount is the new DoubleJack.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 20 queries.