Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Straightforward vs. Article cards  (Read 4590 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Straightforward vs. Article cards
« on: September 01, 2012, 12:25:14 am »
+2

I love reading the articles posted on the main site, and even tried my hand at writing a couple (not that any were posted).  But looking through the Dark Ages cards, I've noticed that while some of them could definitely be the subject of an article, and most definitely deserve one, such as Band of Misfits or Count, given the depth of strategy possible with them, other cards seem rather simple, and not really something you could really write several paragraphs about.  For instance, Bandit Camp - it's a Village that gives you Spoils.  Villages have been discussed at length.  Spoils - I could definitely see a Spoils article being written, which would touch upon Bandit Camp and the other two, but most of it would pertain to the use of the Spoils themselves (when to use them, etc).

Now, a lot of Dark Ages cards probably do merit an article, and we'll probably be seeing a few in the next couple months, once people have taken the time to assess the power of these cards, and they may be obscenely complicated, or simple in a grand, strategy-altering way.  But which cards do you think really need no introduction at all?

My pick: Bandit Camp
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: Straightforward vs. Article cards
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 12:40:33 am »
+1

I call Vagrant.

microman

• Moneylender
  • Stop "Making Fun" of me!
  • Respect: +67
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 01:32:04 am »
+1

I would probably say mystic, since it is very similar to wishing well which everybody already knows.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 01:38:23 am »

I love reading the articles posted on the main site, and even tried my hand at writing a couple (not that any were posted).  But looking through the Dark Ages cards, I've noticed that while some of them could definitely be the subject of an article, and most definitely deserve one, such as Band of Misfits or Count, given the depth of strategy possible with them, other cards seem rather simple, and not really something you could really write several paragraphs about.  For instance, Bandit Camp - it's a Village that gives you Spoils.  Villages have been discussed at length.  Spoils - I could definitely see a Spoils article being written, which would touch upon Bandit Camp and the other two, but most of it would pertain to the use of the Spoils themselves (when to use them, etc).

Now, a lot of Dark Ages cards probably do merit an article, and we'll probably be seeing a few in the next couple months, once people have taken the time to assess the power of these cards, and they may be obscenely complicated, or simple in a grand, strategy-altering way.  But which cards do you think really need no introduction at all?

My pick: Bandit Camp

And some of these cards are insanely complex and require a lot of depth and thought. Ironmonger seems pretty straightforward to me though. Wnadering Minstrel probably deserves an article written on it. Very interesting village, I must say. Anyway, with all the complex cards, I am glad that we get a simple, yet nice Village like Bandit Camp. It's good competition for Bazaar.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 06:29:48 am »
+1

I would probably say mystic, since it is very similar to wishing well which everybody already knows.

Not sure. It's not so similar, since wishing well draw a card before wishing for a card. Mystic doesn't draw any card outside the wish.
So if you play 2 mystics, you have the certainty to succeed your second wish. This is such a big difference, that maybe an article would be useful. Think about the combo possibilities : Pearl Diver - Mystic or Spy - Mystic...

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 07:12:34 am »

The bandit camp looks like it is simple but there will actually be a lot of timing issues for purchasing this moderately expensive card. I wouldn't try to play it like a bazaar.

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 07:33:56 am »

Not sure. It's not so similar, since wishing well draw a card before wishing for a card. Mystic doesn't draw any card outside the wish.
So if you play 2 mystics, you have the certainty to succeed your second wish. This is such a big difference, that maybe an article would be useful. Think about the combo possibilities : Pearl Diver - Mystic or Spy - Mystic...

Well put. WW's special ability is hard to really make use of unless you're assiduous about card counting (and I'm certainly not) or your deck's so thin it's easy to guess. I haven't yet seen it combo with Apothecary or Cartographer well (I tried it once and it was just too slow).

The Thread-Relevant Part of this Post: Anyway, more generally, I'd be surprised if there were more than one or two cards that didn't deserve an article. It's kind of easy to make quick associations -- Scavenger = Super-Chancellor; Mystic = Super=Wishing Well.  But I suspect the really good players who whoop my 28-ish butt on Iso see the subtleties.

tl; dr. I'm looking forward to seeing what Jonts is going to say about something as seemingly straightforward as Vagrant.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 07:58:31 am »

Yes, Scavenger and chancellor are very different. Have you thought that if you play King's court - Scavenger, you can put your deck in the discard pile the first time, then choose three different cards to put on top ? Not me, but after trying this on goko, I realized how this scavenger is amazingly fun and interesting.
The bandit camp looks like it is simple but there will actually be a lot of timing issues for purchasing this moderately expensive card. I wouldn't try to play it like a bazaar.

I agree, this card is less simple than it suggests. It's interesting to build an engine with one-shot gold.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 12:28:56 pm »
+3

tl; dr. I'm looking forward to seeing what Jonts is going to say about something as seemingly straightforward as Vagrant.

First of all, Vagrant is a $2 cantrip. This alone makes it not so bad. Certainly with extra buys in an engine and some coin to burn it'll be worth a pick up. Should work well in a Goons engine in particular. It should also make a good target for Throne Room, King's Court and even Procession with the right kingdom. It helps activate conspirators and lowers the cost of peddlers. And it doesn't take up a card slot in doing so? Where do I sign!

Now about the actual card itself, it's basically a lab that only works x% of the time, where x is the percentage of junk cards in your deck. So obviously it has uses in curse, ruins slogs. It also combos well with dual type VP engines similar to scout. Actually, scout is about the only card this conflicts with since you won't have the green to draw with Vagrant.

But there are two combos in particular that stand out. Apothecary engines are notorious for leaving junk on top of your deck. Well guess what, Vagrant eats that up. You'll probably still need +buy to make it work, but watch out for this sneaky little combo. The other card has been mentioned a bit in this thread: Mystic! Mystic aims to make use of vagrant when it fails to draw a card. Now you know the top card of your deck and can successfully wish for it.

tl;dr Ask and you shall receive.

Jive Junkie

• Spy
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 08:39:54 pm »

First of all, Vagrant is a $2 cantrip. This alone makes it not so bad. Certainly with extra buys in an engine and some coin to burn it'll be worth a pick up. Should work well in a Goons engine in particular. It should also make a good target for Throne Room, King's Court and even Procession with the right kingdom. It helps activate conspirators and lowers the cost of peddlers. And it doesn't take up a card slot in doing so? Where do I sign!

Now about the actual card itself, it's basically a lab that only works x% of the time, where x is the percentage of junk cards in your deck. So obviously it has uses in curse, ruins slogs. It also combos well with dual type VP engines similar to scout. Actually, scout is about the only card this conflicts with since you won't have the green to draw with Vagrant.

But there are two combos in particular that stand out. Apothecary engines are notorious for leaving junk on top of your deck. Well guess what, Vagrant eats that up. You'll probably still need +buy to make it work, but watch out for this sneaky little combo. The other card has been mentioned a bit in this thread: Mystic! Mystic aims to make use of vagrant when it fails to draw a card. Now you know the top card of your deck and can successfully wish for it.

tl;dr Ask and you shall receive.

That is indeed an interesting combo, but even if you can get Mystic to hit a lot, it still seems like a fairly weak card. +$2 and an iffy +Card? It's like a crappy Conspirator-wannabe, with an often harder-to-reach condition (knowing the top card of your deck), and without providing the crucial +Action. There should be a better $5 or even $4 coster than that on board.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 08:41:15 pm by Jive Junkie »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 11:22:15 pm »
+1

Mystic does give +Action.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 08:26:08 am »

Even a card like Poor House can be summarized in a couple of lines:

Works with: Decks with no Treasure
Conflicts with: Decks with Treasure
2 Needed for a Province
Beware of PH when cards like Upgrade, Remake and Develop are in the supply

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 08:38:05 am »

Beware of cards like Upgrade, Remake and Develop when PH is in the supply

FTFY.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 09:02:15 am »

Beware of cards like Upgrade, Remake and Develop when PH is in the supply

FTFY.
Yeah, I wrote the post facing south instead of north and this causes me to sometimes switch things around.  :P

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Jive Junkie

• Spy
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 08:36:37 pm »

Ah OK, I think it's wrong on Dominion Strategy's All Cards list. Guess I should send a little note to theory.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 02:37:56 am »

Ah OK, I think it's wrong on Dominion Strategy's All Cards list. Guess I should send a little note to theory.

Huh, when did that list go up in the sidebar?

This list is accurate, AFAIK.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.625 seconds with 21 queries.