Dominion > Tournaments and Events

Yet to be organized Dutch tournament

(1/7) > >>

Dubdubdubdub:
Davio had the right idea: we should open a new thread for this.
I would like to organize a one day tournament in Utrecht, Netherlands. I think it should be an 'Open Utrecht (Students) Dominion Tournament', as in: anybody can play, but it's 'marketed' towards students because that tends to help get a big turnout in a city like this.

Some interest has been shown already; -Stef-, you had some ideas on how to improve on the structure the Dutch Nationals used?

Davio:
Logistics are going to be your main problem.

If you want to do this in a day with a big turnout of over 50 people you either have to have 3- or 4-player tables, and this increases variance, or a LOT of sets for people to play with.

Last year I commented that a tiebreak on victory points wasn't a sane idea, but if they did, they had to have the same setup on every table. Yes, initially they had planned on random setups with tiebreaking on VPs.

If you cut it down to random setups per table and use more sane tiebreakers, you just need 25 boxes of Base or Intrigue (or Base Cards) total and this is a lot more doable.

2p is the only sensible thing here and I think you need a Swiss system, since it's an accepted way of doing things. If a match takes half an hour, you could aim to play 10 matches over the course of the day with breaks at certain points.

I'm not all too familiar with Swiss systems and how many games you really need for a certain field size, but a minimum of 10 seems both doable and necessary.

Does a Swiss system use cuts? I mean, people who have lost the first matches may not be inclined to try their best anymore or just drop out and this would skew the results.

Well, I'm looking ahead a bit too much maybe, but first you have to think about what kind of tournament you want.

Do you want a casual tournament? This is what I think about when I think about a student tournament. Then you could easily do 3p and people wouldn't care so much.

Or do you want a serious tournament? Then you basically have to do 2p and some sort of Swiss.

ArjanB:
Would it not be much easier to shuffle al the different kingdomcards to devide them among the tables.
So with 1 box of each sets you have 152 different cards which you can fill up 15 tables which means you could invite <30 people for a 1vs1 tournament or <45 for a 3 player tournament.
One little problem, you need the basic cards on every table.
To sum up, you will need the 7 different boxes and 13 basic boxes.

It is exactly what Davio says. What kind of tournament are you thinking of?
I would like to see a swiss 1vs1 tournament with some good tiebreaking setups like a Neustadtl score. (weerstandspunten)
If you need some help to set this up, I would like to help.

-Stef-:
I get the feeling you're more open-minded about the tournament structure then the people organizing the last tournament.
That's great but does imply we need to agree on some major things first before going into details...

* Is this tournament going to be 2P, 3P or 4P?
* Is it going to be a one day thing, or are either "qualification rounds" or "finals day" acceptable?
* Do we want some set-selecting mechanism or just random sets?
Some practical thoughts:

* If you want to schedule rounds (Swiss) I don't think you can cut it to much below 1 hour/round. 30 minutes is probably an accurate average, but in a tournament you'll always have to wait for the slowest game.
* You need a flexible tournament structure. Last tournament I think 5 people signed up but didn't show.
* Are you going to contact 999 and try to borrow their games, or are we limited to what we can bring along ourselves?
My answers to my own questions

* I prefer 2P, but 3P would be fine too. I don't like 4P.
* I would say yes, you need either one of these. Playing 7 games of dominion just isn't going to be enough to reduce 40 people to 1, no matter how good your tiebreaking score system is.

I think a "finals day" is more practical then "qualification rounds". It would allow you to organize a big swiss tournament with 1 game against each opponent. Just about any amount of people actually showing up would be ok. Top 4 qualifies for the finals day, top player gets to choose his opponent for semifinals from 2-4 (choosing an opponent is a little trick stolen from Bridge tournaments and actually works miracles).
Semifinals could be best of 5 and finals best of 7?
The only disadvantage I see is that the "big tournament day" wouldn't have a real winner, and the SF/F probably won't have many people watching the games. But hey, having 4 winners sounds cool too and the latter would have to be fixed by just writing/reading about the final games.
* I prefer random sets. Something like ArjanB suggests (dividing kingdomcards between tables randomly) sounds like a very practical suggestion. It also has the advantage that you could join your own tournament, but I don't know how important you think this is.
@Davio - Swiss system doesn't use cuts, but people losing a lot will not be scheduled against people winning a lot. So the problem you suggest is somewhat fixed by the system in another way.

Geronimoo:
I contacted 999 games and they weren't planning to provide materials or prize support for random tournaments (outside of the national championships).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version