Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Modified Golden Deck  (Read 2409 times)

axlemn

• Salvager
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
Modified Golden Deck
« on: September 01, 2012, 04:41:25 am »

4 Bishops, 4 Fortresses.  12 points a turn. 

The Golden Deck has perfect control.  No matter what, you play the same cards in the same order, and produce points at a rate too high for your opponents to catch up.  And Golden Decks have always needed the extra Trashing Support.  6 points a turn simply isn't enough when your opponent starts getting Provinces earlier and can keep doing so thanks to your offered trashing. 

Throw Fortress in, and the game shifts. 

There's the thread about how you can Throne or King's Court Bishops on Fortress for amazingly strong Golden Decks.  12 or 18 points per turn becomes common.  We all know how good KC and TR are, though.  But you don't actually need either. 

In the 4 Bishop 4 Fortress deck, no matter what you draw, you can play 3 Fortresses, then 4 Bishops, and end up with a dead Fortress in hand. 

Now you've reduced a 3-card combo to a slightly slower 2-card combo.  Nearly every 2-card combo comes up in a real game. 

The real questions are the same questions any Mega-turn or Engine deck faces: how much support do you need to run it?  Is Ironworks or Workshop necessary?  How long can you take to set up if you now suddenly have double the power?  What's your cue to begin pushing rather than building perfectly?  What happens in the mirror? 

I won't pretend to be able to answer, but I will say that this phenomenon will happen more than it first seems, though in miniature.  If your deck contains at least 1 Fortress, Bishops, and enough +actions, no matter what else you're doing, you can pull off this combo on the side of a deck which continues to build.  The balancing act this causes in a Mirror is extremely delicate, much more so than most engines nowadays.  Not Mirroring at all, on most boards, however, will probably mean a loss. 

When DA comes out, I'm looking forwards to seeing this pair in a real game or two.  Or twelve.  And I hope you all are too. 
Favorite cards: Wharf, Wishing Well, Cartographer, Counting House. 
Least favorite cards: Swindler, Jester, Ghost Ship, Black Market, Fortune Teller

J-Kidder

• Thief
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
Re: Modified Golden Deck
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 05:18:00 pm »

Just played a game IRL where the kingdom was selected randomly and was able to quickly build the modified golden deck.  Just 8 cards and every turn without fail I got 12 VP.  The game finally ended on piles with me having 101 VPs!

For support I used Market Square (quickly becoming my new favorite $3) to gain golds as I Bishoped my deck (and gained a good number of gold from trashing during my opponent's Bishop plays) and used the +buys to quickly buy my engine parts.  Towards the end I was voluntarily trashing my golds when a Bishop was played (you should have seen the puzzled look on their faces the first time I did that) just to quickly get down to the essential 8 cards.  The other players caught just a little too late but were still able to rack up about 80 points each by game end.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 05:23:26 pm by J-Kidder »

Scissors61

• Salvager
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 11:32:21 pm »

You know, these golden decks are starting to get over the top. 101 VP? With 8 cards in deck? Crazy.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 11:36:01 pm »

Plus it should be pretty resilient against Saboteur attacks, and even forced discards.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.