Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: All cards (including cards in players hands) cost $1 more  (Read 1530 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
All cards (including cards in players hands) cost $1 more
« on: August 30, 2012, 03:06:50 pm »
+1

I'm interested in this mechanic, and want to find a fan card to fit it

Starting simple:

Troll
Cost: 2
Action
+1 Action
+$3
All cards (including cards in players hands) cost $1 more

Compared to silver, it's got the advantages that come with being an action and not a treasure, but it should be worse, as it takes away from +buys. However there are some cards it combos with; Apprentice nets you an extra card, Trader gets you an extra silver and coppers can be Salvaged and Forged into more than nothing.

What card would best fit to this mechanic

I'm thinking it would include a +buy, to highlight the fact that +buys are made worse and non terminal so the actions that benefit from it can be played after it. The higher the price increase, the more exaggerated the effect, especially its effect on Workshop type cards.

My best effort:

Troll Booth
Cost: 4
Action-Duration
+1 action
Now and at the start of your next turn: +$2, +1 buy
---
While this is in play, all cards (including cards in players hands) cost $1 more
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 03:11:33 pm by NoMoreFun »

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
Re: All cards (including cards in players hands) cost $1 more
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 03:54:28 pm »
+1

Synergies with:

1. Trashing 0s
2. Trash-for-cost-benefit cards
3. Taxing opponents

Conflicts with:

1. + Buys
2. "Gain a card costing..."

I don't like adding a "+ Buy" to the card. It's a subtle way to highlight how the abilities conflict, but annoying when you realize it. There just isn't much of a benefit to adding it. The ability also just reads oddly if it isn't harming an opponent. It doesn't quite have that Chapel "a-ha" moment, because you have to work to achieve a benefit, and it's minimal at best. So, I agree that it should be a punishing Duration, and I like the idea of combining it with a trash-for-benefit ability. Off the top of my head:

Troll Bridge (5)
Action - Duration
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. Look at cards from the top of your deck equal to its cost. Set any number of those cards aside and draw the rest. At the start of your next turn, put the set aside cards in your hand.
-----
While this is in play, all cards (including cards in players hands) cost $1 more.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 03:55:45 pm by Rush_Clasic »

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 04:57:03 am »

Reminds me of an idea for an alt-Embargo that I had:

Cartel - Action - $?
+2 Cards
Trash this. Place a Cartel token on top of a Supply pile. Cards cost 1 more per Cartel token on the corresponding Supply pile.

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 12:28:10 am »

This is a difficult idea to get work. But I like your ideas. Except for the fact that if you have it raise the price of cards everywhere it doesn't have any effect on Remodel/Mine/Expand ect.

Troll: Having it give you more money than it costs you brings you out ahead, but wouldn't it be simpler to have it only dffect your hand.

$3 - Troll

+1 Action
+$1
----------
While this is in play cards in your hand are worth $1 more

This way it also combos with Remodel in the way you would like.

Similarly you could have the duration only affect the price of cards in the supply to mess with your opponents without giving them the potential Trash for Benefit boost.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 06:15:44 am »

When you trash a card for remodel, it's not in your hand any more IIRC

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 02:56:45 pm »

When you trash a card for remodel, it's not in your hand any more IIRC

Given the ruling on Procession + BoM + Fortress, I think this would be correct. It wouldn't matter how much it cost the moment before you trashed it, it would matter how much it cost when the cards checks to see how much it cost when it gets to the "gain a card costing..." clause. At which point it would be in the trash, not in your hand.

Of course, you could just have the card increase the cost of cards in the trash.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 21 queries.