Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]  All

Author Topic: Cosmic Encounter II - Game Over, Mimic Wins!  (Read 67072 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
Re: Cosmic Encounter II
« Reply #825 on: October 03, 2012, 03:00:25 pm »

I will certainly never underestimate Mimic's power in the future. I saw that potential.

And it was a great time for Mimic to lose his power. Was that intentional, Volt? If so, brilliant play. I wanted to assassinate your power away, but I knew I had to wait until you had a smaller hand. That never happened.

Also wanted to remove Grudge's power, but that also never happened. It was less scary to me than Void or Remote.

A man has no signature

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: October 03, 2012, 03:32:45 pm »

I will certainly never underestimate Mimic's power in the future. I saw that potential.

And it was a great time for Mimic to lose his power. Was that intentional, Volt? If so, brilliant play. I wanted to assassinate your power away, but I knew I had to wait until you had a smaller hand. That never happened.

Also wanted to remove Grudge's power, but that also never happened. It was less scary to me than Void or Remote.

My power didn't really matter except that it might have forced people to ally with me when they would have preferred to not.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: October 03, 2012, 03:37:52 pm »

And it was a great time for Mimic to lose his power. Was that intentional, Volt?

Semi-intentional.  By that time, I had the Mimic Flare, and so with Super Mimic available I wasn't tremendously concerned about my power draining my hand down to almost nothing (because I could always just go to 8 cards).  And I definitely had some crap cards that I would have been happy to discard. 

On the other hand, I was aware that losing my power wasn't really going to hurt me very much, especially once I started getting more useful flares (Filch Flare especially, which let me convert my three Negotiates into far more effective things).

My favorite moment was still my Negotiate getting matched by Remote's Morph.   ;D

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: October 03, 2012, 03:38:09 pm »

My power didn't really matter except that it might have forced people to ally with me when they would have preferred to not.

Your power broke my power. :( It left NO incentive to ally with me - I essentially had to overcome 4v16 each time we faced. :-/
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: October 03, 2012, 03:40:30 pm »

Remote had a great potential for an upset. I wasn't worried about the power early in the game, but I suspected that by the time you got to four colonies, you could have secured a win. We'll never know, of course.

I kept trying to find ways to get that Shadow Flare, as that would have secured a win for me….at least until it gets Card Zapped. 
A man has no signature

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: October 03, 2012, 03:43:20 pm »

I forget what you guys used the cardzaps for, but they were all used up really quickly.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: October 03, 2012, 03:46:47 pm »

Remote cardzapped my playing Plague on him.
I cardzapped Void playing Finder to get the Hand Zap.

Remote losing his power was key for me.  When I was low on ships, I could have been really screwed by him activating a remote and forcing me to abandon multiple colonies.

And I knew it was the right call to put Shadow Flare into Remote's hands in order to stop someone else from getting a win when the destiny deck was almost all black.  Sorry Void. 

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: October 03, 2012, 05:19:29 pm »

Your power broke my power. :( It left NO incentive to ally with me - I essentially had to overcome 4v16 each time we faced. :-/

Void is just absolutely one of the scariest powers in the game. It can be super tempting because it IS really powerful, but it's so intimidating to all the other players that they often just won't let you win with it.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 03, 2012, 05:30:02 pm »

Void is just absolutely one of the scariest powers in the game. It can be super tempting because it IS really powerful, but it's so intimidating to all the other players that they often just won't let you win with it.

Oh, I know. These are the two quotes in response to Axxle that I sent when he gave me my powers choices:

Oh god. Void. >.> Do I dare?

Alright, Genius is fun, but it gets you no alliances. Offense won't take you because they don't want you to get cards - And Defense won't take you because they don't want you to get cards.

Plus, being at the mercy of a Hand Zap suuuuucks.

General, while good at collecting cards (kind-of), only works as a Main-Player... and despite our smaller game-size, ehh, I'm not sold. It's only valuable if/when people ally with you - which isn't always the case as Defense, and offers them a little TOO much incentive (imo) as Offense.

So this does indeed leave Void. Also Main-Player only... but man, he's always Nasty and feared!

So I choose: Void! I would like to see the General Flare in the game as well.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 03, 2012, 05:33:24 pm »

Oh, I know. These are the two quotes in response to Axxle that I sent when he gave me my powers choices:

Oh god. Void. >.> Do I dare?

Alright, Genius is fun, but it gets you no alliances. Offense won't take you because they don't want you to get cards - And Defense won't take you because they don't want you to get cards.

Plus, being at the mercy of a Hand Zap suuuuucks.

General, while good at collecting cards (kind-of), only works as a Main-Player... and despite our smaller game-size, ehh, I'm not sold. It's only valuable if/when people ally with you - which isn't always the case as Defense, and offers them a little TOO much incentive (imo) as Offense.

So this does indeed leave Void. Also Main-Player only... but man, he's always Nasty and feared!

So I choose: Void! I would like to see the General Flare in the game as well.

Yeah, I probably would have picked that too. I don't think I've even won with void, but I've had a heck of a lot of fun.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
Re: Cosmic Encounter II - Game Over, Mimic Wins!
« Reply #835 on: October 03, 2012, 05:50:03 pm »

My options were Mimic, Filch, and Amoeba.  For my first game, Amoeba struck me as something I could very easily screw myself over trying to use.  Filch just didn't seem all that powerful (although now that I've used the Wild version of its flare, I realize my assessment was wrong).  That left Mimic, which felt like a built-in discard-and-draw engine (to use Dominion terminology), which was something I felt fairly comfortable working with.  :)

And enormous props to Axxle for patiently and diligently responding to ALL of my rules- and timing-related questions throughout the game.  I must have driven you up the wall - if so, my deepest apologies!

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 03, 2012, 05:57:28 pm »

sorcerer
fido
grudge

I liked Fido a lot, but Grudge seemed like it would essentially force people to ally with me.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: October 03, 2012, 06:10:49 pm »

Here's my QT, which - along with my hand status and COs - includes my semi-stream-of-consciousness strategizing:  http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/rpNxwduvxjCq

I know I made some mistakes along the way, but heck, I can't complain with the outcome of my first game.  (And yes it was really my first game, no sandbagging here Galz  :) )

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 03, 2012, 06:16:17 pm »

Need more Cosmic...

;D

Mafia Record:

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: October 03, 2012, 08:28:53 pm »

Need more Cosmic...

;D

I know it. I was really enjoying myself there. Eager for the next one to start up.

A man has no signature

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: October 06, 2012, 05:15:45 pm »

Remote is a great power, I missused it though.

You can gather a very strong base for an alpha strike conquering the last colony.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]  All

Page created in 2.17 seconds with 19 queries.