Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ruins Setup  (Read 7265 times)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Ruins Setup
« on: August 29, 2012, 12:58:36 pm »

A quick question about the Ruins.  The way I see it, there are two different ways to handle the stack:

1) Shuffle all 50 Ruins together and select the proper number out of those 50 for the game.  There are ten of each type so that you could potentially have a game with 10 of a single Ruins type (more variance).
2) Shuffle the proper number of Ruins together (containing an equal amount of each Ruin type).  The remaining Ruins are only included in Dark Ages in case you have more players.

My assumption is that #1 is intended as that is what the rule book implies, but I'm not sure? 
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Ruins Setup
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 01:03:19 pm »
+1

A quick question about the Ruins.  The way I see it, there are two different ways to handle the stack:

1) Shuffle all 50 Ruins together and select the proper number out of those 50 for the game.  There are ten of each type so that you could potentially have a game with 10 of a single Ruins type (more variance).
2) Shuffle the proper number of Ruins together (containing an equal amount of each Ruin type).  The remaining Ruins are only included in Dark Ages in case you have more players.

My assumption is that #1 is intended as that is what the rule book implies, but I'm not sure?

My Amazon copy doesn't arrive until tomorrow, but I'm guessing there's only one Ruins slot in the box.  If so, I would definitely assume 1.  From everything Donald X has said, it seems the idea of not knowing what's in the pile is part of the fun.  Also, pretty sure Goko did it that way on Leak Day.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 01:07:23 pm »

Its number 1, there is only one slot for ruins in the dark ages box, and your ruins won't fit if you sleeve them.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 01:44:58 pm »
+6

Its number 1, there is only one slot for ruins in the dark ages box, and your ruins won't fit if you sleeve them.

You don't need to sleeve them.  It's OK to let them become worn out.  They are ruins, after all.

jmieden

• Baron
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 03:34:26 pm »

I found many slots to barely fit the cards when sleeved. This is especially true of Rats, Urchin/Mercenary, Hermit/Madman and Shelters, but even the normal kingdom cards seemed tighter than in previous boxes. I'm just going to buy a tackle box and move them all over so they fit right.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 03:37:25 pm »

all of my Dark Ages cards are sleeved and they fit the slots in the box. Some are tight but they do fit.

The only sleeved stack that I have that doesn't fit is the copper pile.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 03:42:02 pm »

all of my Dark Ages cards are sleeved and they fit the slots in the box. Some are tight but they do fit.

The only sleeved stack that I have that doesn't fit is the copper pile.

This is also true for me, The ruins are the tightest fit for me that does fit
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 03:50:36 pm »
+1

I found many slots to barely fit the cards when sleeved. This is especially true of Rats, Urchin/Mercenary, Hermit/Madman and Shelters, but even the normal kingdom cards seemed tighter than in previous boxes. I'm just going to buy a tackle box and move them all over so they fit right.

Wait - are Urchin and Mercenary shoved into one slot?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 04:00:58 pm »
+1

I'm not sure where the discussion of fitting in the box came from, but heh, I have never used the built-in storage method; it is horrible if you plan on mixing expansions. (I play games just like on Iso) 

My current storage solution, for kicks and giggles:
The Base cards box holds all the basic stuff for 2 players, including Spoils, Ruins, etc.  It's actually the perfect fit unless Guilds introduces something wacky.  I have a separate bag containing the extra base cards needed for 3/4p.  (I refuse to play 5/6, but have 2 extra sets elsewhere just in case anyway).  I keep the Base Cards box, the Seaside made, counters, etc all in the Cornucopia box.

I use a program to randomize the order of ALL kingdom cards and sort them that order in the Dominion box. (no black divider thing).  As we play, I move "played with" cards in the Seaside box until all have gotten love, then repeat the process going from one box to the other.  Seems like a lot of steps, but in the end it really works.  Granted I do not sleeve individual cards--I keep my cards separated in jewelry bags.  I think Guilds will make it impossible to just use the real boxes though.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

jmieden

• Baron
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 04:04:31 pm »

Wait - are Urchin and Mercenary shoved into one slot?

Yep, as are Hermit/Madman. There are four sets of cards which hold 18-20 cards (the four I mentioned above) that are all together (four consecutive slots breaking the flow of cards in alphabetical order). I think those slots are a little bigger than the others, but they are a really tight fit in sleeves.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 04:05:45 pm »

The Ruins were the tightest of the bunch by far.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 04:06:05 pm »
+1

I love using the boxes.  Sure, it's not the most efficient of storage methods, but I like the box, and I like the dividers, and I like looking through them when picking cards.  I don't randomize very often IRL (though when I do, I generally just shuffle all the randomizers together) - I usually know which cards I want to play with, or ask the other players what they want to work with.  I've memorized what each card does, and I know which expansion each one is in, so it doesn't take all that long to get everything in place.  The longest parts are really making sure you only have 8 of each Victory card (for 2 player) and explaining what cards do to new players.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 04:09:03 pm »

I love using the boxes.  Sure, it's not the most efficient of storage methods, but I like the box, and I like the dividers, and I like looking through them when picking cards.  I don't randomize very often IRL (though when I do, I generally just shuffle all the randomizers together) - I usually know which cards I want to play with, or ask the other players what they want to work with.  I've memorized what each card does, and I know which expansion each one is in, so it doesn't take all that long to get everything in place.  The longest parts are really making sure you only have 8 of each Victory card (for 2 player) and explaining what cards do to new players.

For me the hardest part is getting people to keep their Duration cards out.  I don't know why keeping them in 2 piles is so difficult to learn!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 04:19:05 pm »
+6

For me the hardest part is getting people to keep their Duration cards out.  I don't know why keeping them in 2 piles is so difficult to learn!

Orange you glad you didn't discard that?

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 04:40:54 pm »
+1

In Dark Ages preview #2, Donald is explicit about method 1 above being the correct way to do it.

Scissors61

• Salvager
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 10:29:57 am »

Card sleeves? NERD!  :P
I know, hypocrisy.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 02:45:58 pm »
+3

Unprotected Dominion feels better.

Scissors61

• Salvager
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 09:30:06 pm »
+1

Unprotected Dominion feels better.
•__•
Nothing to do here.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.04 seconds with 20 queries.