Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 164  All

Author Topic: Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade -- GAME OVER, TOWN WINS  (Read 315883 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile

Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade

Greetings! Robz888 has invited his closest friends to attend a Masquerade ball in the Courtyard of his castle. Everyone must dress in costumes and disguises, but surely the guests will recognize each other. Robz knows his friends, and they know him, and they know each other, and they know themselves...

Something sinister is afoot, of course. The question isn't what, it's who! But only those who can see beyond the masks will find their questions answered...

This game is open to anyone, and all will be accommodated. However, it is most highly encouraged that veteran players involve themselves in this game. That's because ROLES AND ALIGNMENTS WILL NOT BE CHOSEN ENTIRELY RANDOMLY. Rather, they will be tweaked and tailored to fit the Forum Games personalities of each player.

This should not be construed to mean that the roles and alignments will be obvious to people who have read other games. They will be subtly based on aspects of players personalities. (For example, the following line of thinking will not work in this game: "Jotheonah has twice been the Serial Killer, so he's probably the Serial Killer in this game.") Furthermore, some roles and alignments WILL be determined randomly.

New players (or new-ish players) are encouraged to play as well. They will have just as much chance at a power role as anyone else. Nor is previous knowledge of other Forum Games a prerequisite for playing this game (though it will help).

This is NOT a bastard game. The setup will be engineered for balance. I am aiming for something along the lines of MVI in terms of variety of roles. There may be a number of roles approaching what would typically be found in a Role Madness or Big Money game; however, balance will be in keeping with a normal game of mafia.

Signups will remain open until about 3 of the following 5 games are concluded RMM2, Mafia VIII, Mafia IX, Mafia X, BM V. We don't want too little mafia or too much going on, so I might postpone the game or begin it sooner depending on what happens with the other games.

Status
1. Ftl
2. sparky5856 (replaced Voltgloss)
3. Eevee, Town-aligned Semi-Naive Alignment Cop, killed Night 1
4. Grujah, Scum-aligned Mafia Jack-of-All-Trades, lynched Day 1
5. Insomniac
6. Glooble, Town-aligned Masonic Couple, killed Night 1
7. Dsell
8. Jotheonah
9. Young Nick
10. O (2) (replaced Voltaire)
11. Axxle
12. O, Town-aligned Masonic Couple and One-Shot Doctor, killed Night 1
13. Cayvie
14. Shraeye
15. Cuzz
16. Yuma
17. theorel (replaced ibgtennis)
18. TheMunch
19. Morgrim7
20. EHalcyon
21. Watno
22. Galzria
23. Captain_Frisk
24. ehunt
25. ashersky

Grujah's Description: "Congratulations! You won (lost?) the random number generator contest. Have fun!"

Coppersmith, belonging to Grujah, Eevee, Glooble, or O.

Information on Setup

Each player will receive a role PM containing a great deal of categorized information. Here are the following things that every player will have:

Player Name: That’s you!

Alignment: There are only two possible alignments: Town and Scum. There may or may not be multiple Scum factions; however, all Scum, regardless of faction, are simply listed as Scum-aligned here (not “werewolf-aligned” or “serial killer-aligned,” for example).

Card: Each player will be dealt a card from Dominion. It doesn’t do anything; you just have it. You will not be told whether multiple people can have the same Card. Whether a player’s Card corresponds to anything else about him is for you to determine.

Role: This is the name that best matches whatever abilities you may possess. Since sources may differ on what exactly a given role does, and I may have made tweaks, please be sure to consult your Description and Abilities sections to make sure that your Role actually does what you think it does.

Description: Each player will receive a personalized paragraph that gives information about him. It may speak to his reputation as a Forum Mafia player, it may contain clues to his abilities or alignment, or it may be merely humorous.

Active Abilities: This section lists everything you are able to do. Read it carefully.

Passive Abilities: This section lists any other abilities you have that are used automatically. Separating each player’s abilities into an Active and Passive category is done for convenience of comprehension; there is no “in-game” reason to differentiate between them.

Win Condition: What you must do to win the game. The Town, for instance, has the following, familiar Win Condition: “You win when all scum-aligned players are dead.”
--

A List of Possible Role and Modifiers
(For information on the roles listed below, go here: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Category:Roles):

Cop, Doctor, Jailkeeper, Roleblocker, Vigilante, Serial Killer, Werewolf, Mason, Neighbor, Lover, Watcher, Tracker, Ninja, Hider/Commuter, Miller, Bus Driver, Bodyguard, Lightning Rod, Doublevoter, Survivor, Backup, Godfather, Jack-of-All Trades, Innocent Child, Mailman, Inventor, Gunsmith, Redirector, Bomb, Cult, Framer, Lie Detector

Modifiers: X-shot, Insane, Paranoid, Naïve, Hated, Random, Post Restricted, Lynchproof, Bulletproof, Strong, Weak

Order of Night Resolution:

1. Items
2. Overriding powers
3. Roleblocking
4. Other actions

Mafia Ruleset

Game Rules:

General Gameplay and Etiquette:
1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind, UNLESS GIVEN MOD PERMISSION.  Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.  Mafia members may communicate at night and during the confirmation stage.
3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline (generally 48 hours from Night start).  If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.  In case of multiple submissions, the last valid one before the deadline will be used.
4. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
5. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
6. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.

Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:
1. A simple majority (rounded up) of all living members must agree on one person for a lynch to occur prior to deadline.
2. Once you have reached a simple majority no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.  Further votes will also be ignored.
3. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post during twilight.
4. Please submit votes as: Vote: PlayerName.  Votes will NOT be counted if they are not bold or do not follow this syntax!  Obvious abbreviations or nicknames will be counted so long as they are unambiguous.
5. Please submit vote revocations as either Unvote: PlayerName or Unvote. Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
6. You may Vote: No Lynch - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a lynch.
7. This game will generally have 2 week deadlines.  If a player or No Lynch does not have a simple majority at deadline, no lynch will occur, and the game will go into night.
8. Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post. This means that you do not even get a “Bah” post. The dead in this game are silent.
9. Do not edit or delete posts.  We don't want some players having more information than others.  If you want to clarify posts, feel free to double post.

Miscellaneous/Mechanics:
1. Bold, blue text is reserved for the Mod.  No invisible/small text is allowed, nor is cryptography.
2. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately.  Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
3. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently.  Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed.  These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
4. Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.
5. Prods of missing players will be issued automatically after 72 hours of no activity or upon request after 48 hours of no activity.  A prodded player has 48 hours to respond or risks replacement.  A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to replacement without further notice.
6. Rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill.
7. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread.  Treat this game as a commitment.  Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.

The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

Helpful Links:

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:46:28 pm by Robz888 »
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 11:30:43 am »

In In In In In B4 everyone else.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 11:33:34 am »

So I know I said before I'd /out.  But given Robz's assurances that this is engineered for balance (and I know that's not an exact science!), along with the fact that this is not a Bastard game...

Yeah, I'll join.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 11:35:27 am »

In In In In In B4 everyone else.

Obvtracker.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 11:35:41 am »

Hell freaking yeah!

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 11:35:48 am »

big in.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 11:36:04 am »

in. I want to see what kind of a role robz thinks I am!
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 11:36:29 am »

Wait.. So..
Robz, I though you will play in EVERY regularly named mafia on  f.ds?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 11:36:39 am »

So I know I said before I'd /out.  But given Robz's assurances that this is engineered for balance (and I know that's not an exact science!), along with the fact that this is not a Bastard game...

Yeah, I'll join.

Yay! I won't let you down, Volt!

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 11:36:47 am »

Tentatively in. I'm moving soon, so it might make it hard for me to be online consistently, but who knows when this will start.

I will likely be lynched early, since everyone will assume I'm scum.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 11:37:38 am »

Wait.. So..
Robz, I though you will play in EVERY regularly named mafia on  f.ds?

This game will be the exception. Or will it...

... It will.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 11:38:16 am »

"You are town. If you survive until end-game, you will make a costly mistake, and your team will lose. Have fun with this role, you deserve it!" This is going to be awesome.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 11:38:32 am »

obv in
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 11:39:06 am »

Tentatively in. I'm moving soon, so it might make it hard for me to be online consistently, but who knows when this will start.

I will likely be lynched early, since everyone will assume I'm scum.

Obvscum, setting up his proven Elite-Lurker play already.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Young Nick

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 12:52:22 pm »

most likely in.

Young Nick

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 12:59:13 pm »

Also, is there any way we get a list of all possible roles that might be used for this game?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 01:14:31 pm »

Also, is there any way we get a list of all possible roles that might be used for this game?

I may post a "Role Guidance" list that gives examples of possible abilities, modifers, and X-shots that could appear.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 02:42:07 pm »

Not in until one of the three games that I'm in now (MIX, BMV, Resistance) finishes...

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 02:43:20 pm »

Not in until one of the three games that I'm in now (MIX, BMV, Resistance) finishes...

I can all but guarantee this game will not begin until at least one of those games finishes.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 02:46:05 pm »

I'd like to enter as a (mostly) newbie, if that's all right. I've played 2 games in a forum not designed for Mafia (just like f.ds here). Following X right now and quite enjoying it.  :)

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 02:46:42 pm »

I'd like to enter as a (mostly) newbie, if that's all right. I've played 2 games in a forum not designed for Mafia (just like f.ds here). Following X right now and quite enjoying it.  :)

Welcome! Glad to have you aboard.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 02:47:20 pm »

How did my name get on that list? <checks past posts>

Mafia Record:

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 02:47:37 pm »

But we won't be able to refer to Voltgloss as "Volt" anymore. WHATEVER WILL WE DO.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 02:48:11 pm »

Oh my word somehow I missed this till now! I'm so IN!! :D
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 02:48:28 pm »

How did my name get on that list? <checks past posts>

Oh, I read your posting in here as a tacit "in". I'll take you off the list for now, but... you better play bucko!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 164  All

Page created in 1.951 seconds with 20 queries.