Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Anti-Ambassador Counter Lemonade Stand  (Read 2609 times)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
Anti-Ambassador Counter Lemonade Stand
« on: August 31, 2012, 11:11:39 am »

I love me some ambassador games but in this one I made the early decision to use the available tools to turn lemons into lemonade. I threw Saboteur in there for fun because you guys seem to think it is worthless when it is quite fun in the right setting.

In this game Ambassador should throw the following lemons: Coppers and Estates

Our lemonade stand came equipped with Gardens, Mine and Baron which should make nice work of the lemons. This game with additional actions would have required me to play Ambassador ping pong but with the set as it is I was looking forward to a tall glass of refreshing lemonade.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/31/game-20120831-080716-8d35da1f.html
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-Ambassador Counter Lemonade Stand
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 11:21:09 am »

The term is "Ambassador tennis," don't think I didn't notice what you did. But I guess you could be granted the privileged of calling it "Ambassador ping pong."

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 11:23:38 am »

i could go for some good ping pong discussion.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 11:26:31 am »

Don't make the mistake of calling it ping-pong instead of table tennis around real players. I made that mistake when I studied abroad at Oxford and showed up at their club's practice...and was not invited back. Although that could be because I sucked AND didn't know the lingo.

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 01:31:09 pm »

i could go for some good ping pong discussion.

http://weschao.blogspot.com/2011/06/never-turn-it-off.html

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/06/26 and the next six comics or so.

I made the early decision to use the available tools to turn lemons into lemonade.

"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade.  Make life take the lemons back!  Get mad!  I don't want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these?"
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 02:00:50 pm »

Repeated so many times, yet it's still freaking hilarious (how the hell did they manage to do even better than the cake jokes?)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 02:11:31 pm »

Repeated so many times, yet it's still freaking hilarious (how the hell did they manage to do even better than the cake jokes?)

I think getting JK Simmons to do the voice was the big thing.  He just brought a very specific feel to the character--and I find the fact that he refused to read certain lines due to their context to be quite awesome.  A different voice actor just wouldn't have been the same, I think.  He and Ellen McLain may have delivered the best voice acting ever for a video game.  (OK, Stephen Merchant did all right too.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

DrFlux

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 02:32:02 pm »
+1

This board is a typical example of ambassador being bad when there's no engine to transition to. It doesn't need to be a good engine necessarily, but one has to be there. Although I don't think ambassador into treasure map would be horrible here, better than just straight buying money, which is what your opponent ended up doing mostly.

I think on this board I would have hit the barons and gardens really hard, probably forget about mine/saboteur. As it was, you could have bought more gardens, as they were worth more than duchies, and with a little effort you could have gotten them up to 5 points a piece.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 04:28:33 pm »

Yeah, gardens counters Ambassador pretty well. Baron/Gardens is a thing, definitely a better thing than Amb here. Well-played.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.