Miscellaneous > General Discussion

Dvorak keyboard

(1/11) > >>

michaeljb:
Anyone here use it? I started learning the layout a little while ago, and can touch type the whole alphabet for the first time today, though at a rate very much lower than my qwerty speed.

Kirian:

--- Quote from: michaeljb on August 23, 2012, 09:33:00 pm ---Anyone here use it? I started learning the layout a little while ago, and can touch type the whole alphabet for the first time today, though at a rate very much lower than my qwerty speed.

--- End quote ---

I tried it once for a few months.  I went from look-typing at 90 wpm to touch-typing at 20 wpm.  In an age when ICQ conversations made up a good chunk of my days, 20 wpm wasn't cutting it.

I still look at they keyboard while typing for part of the time, though I usually can look for just a moment to readjust my finger positions.

eHalcyon:

--- Quote from: Kirian on August 23, 2012, 09:37:55 pm ---
--- Quote from: michaeljb on August 23, 2012, 09:33:00 pm ---Anyone here use it? I started learning the layout a little while ago, and can touch type the whole alphabet for the first time today, though at a rate very much lower than my qwerty speed.

--- End quote ---

I tried it once for a few months.  I went from look-typing at 90 wpm to touch-typing at 20 wpm.  In an age when ICQ conversations made up a good chunk of my days, 20 wpm wasn't cutting it.

I still look at they keyboard while typing for part of the time, though I usually can look for just a moment to readjust my finger positions.

--- End quote ---

Did you know that (on QWERTY) the F and J keys have little bumps on them for your index fingers to find?  They let you readjust your position without looking.

A bunch of my friends switched to Dvorak a while ago but I wasn't up for it.  Still on QWERTY.  I touch type around 80 WPM, I think.  Could probably go a fair amount higher if I'm really trying, but then I'd start to make mistakes.

Kirian:

--- Quote from: eHalcyon on August 23, 2012, 09:41:05 pm ---Did you know that (on QWERTY) the F and J keys have little bumps on them for your index fingers to find?  They let you readjust your position without looking.
--- End quote ---

I did know that!  It doesn't work though, because I don't use "standard" finger positioning.  I will often use the "wrong" fingers for what I type, because by now typing certain words is partially muscle memory.  But since I don't actually use the home row in a way that's meaningful, finding F and J isn't that useful to me.  It's significantly faster for me to not touch-type than to attempt to touch-type and continually go back and correct my mistakes.

Grujah:
Had it switched for few months last year. Was typing slower, but started to ramp up the speed with daily exercises.

Main problem was switching back and forth when using different computers (and uni, and back home, and such) which was mentally painful. So, I had to switch back.

Even worse was when I tried forcing myself to use my right hand (I am all-leftie), using mouse extensively with my right for extended time (like, Diablo 2 sessions) actually caused headaches.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version