Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Ultimate Challenge: All in, All gone  (Read 3360 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
The Ultimate Challenge: All in, All gone
« on: August 22, 2012, 04:53:55 pm »

You play a solitaire game of a variant of dominion where all kingdom cards are available. With perfect shuffle luck, what's the fastest you can empty the whole supply?

Notes:
*All official Dominion cards from Base to Dark Ages, including promo cards, are in the supply
*The basic treasure piles contain the treasures from both the Base Set and Intrigue, and must be emptied
*Other supply piles have 10 cards except for victory cards, which have 8, and Rats, which has 20 (as usual)
*You start with Shelters instead of 3 estates
*The game still ends when the province pile, the colony pile or any other 3 piles are all empty
*Black Market is in the supply and can be played, but the Black Market deck does not contain any cards
*Outpost and Possession Turns count as turns towards the total. However both cards are in the supply and all 10 of each must be gained to satisfy the challenge.
*You may trash as many cards as you wish - the only requirement is that all supply piles are empty when the game ends
*A deck of 10 ruins of your choice is in the supply, and all 10 must be gained
*Tournament Prizes, Madman, Mercenary and Spoils need not be obtained (but can be if you wish)
*One of the $2 or $3 cards is Young Witch's Bane (but it doesn't matter)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:59:16 pm by NoMoreFun »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Challenge: All in, All gone
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 05:28:43 pm »

no offense, but id never take the time to figure this out haha. but im sure there are some people who will

CC will have it done in 15 minutes.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

razorborne

• Bishop
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 05:30:10 pm »

no offense, but id never take the time to figure this out haha. but im sure there are some people who will

well, the puzzle didn't set a turn limit, so I can solve it pretty easily. first buy out all the treasure, then buy each card, one at a time. puzzle solved!

odds are CC can do it in slightly fewer turns though.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 06:04:52 pm »

well, the puzzle didn't set a turn limit, so I can solve it pretty easily. first buy out all the treasure, then buy each card, one at a time. puzzle solved!

The goal's to do it as fast as possible, but there's also the problem of simultaneously emptying hundreds of supply piles so the game doesn't end before you can empty the supply.

razorborne

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 06:39:20 pm »

The goal's to do it as fast as possible, but there's also the problem of simultaneously emptying hundreds of supply piles so the game doesn't end before you can empty the supply.
oh, I assumed three-pile endings and province/colony endings didn't exist here. alright, I'll buy all but one of each thing, then play chancellor, shuffle my deck with perfect luck, play a single scrying pool to draw every action, play every non-terminal draw to pick up all my victory cards, use Crossroads to get the treasures, then do some degenerate thing involving ten king's courts and ten throne rooms. (I can empty two piles without ending the game.) how many cards do I have to gain?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:41:56 pm by razorborne »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 06:43:06 pm »

oh, I assumed three-pile endings and province/colony endings didn't exist here. alright, I'll buy all but one of each thing, then play chancellor, shuffle my deck with perfect luck, play a single scrying pool to draw every action, play every non-terminal draw to pick up all my treasures, then do some degenerate thing involving ten king's courts and ten throne rooms. (I can empty two piles without ending the game.) how many cards do I have to gain?

I assume there'll be enough buys with perfect shuffle luck, King's Courted Squires (in addition to every other +buy card) and Counterfeited Counterfeits and Contrabands.

teasel

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 07:12:15 pm »

mmm well i guess you would start with card drawing so you would open with something like double wishing well (remember you have perfect luck so the wishing well is basicaly a cheaper laboratory) then on your second or third reshuffle you would start emptying the ironworks pile as they are a virtual buy that doesn't consume an action (and not even a card if you use them for emptying great halls) as you get more ironworks,add more card drawing (so more wishing wells i guess) so that you can play all of your actions you then would acquire other virtual buy with ironworks such as feast and workshop,you'd probably split the ironworks between +action card and workshops and add the occasional drawing card,so say with your first batch of 10 ironworks you would get 4 village,5 workshops and something like watchtower (actualy thinking about it,you could start going for double watchtower instead of double wishing well) after getting a decent amount of extra action's,you'd buy all the bridges,this basicaly let you buy 31 cards each turn without problem as long as you keep drawing,after that comes getting the whole stack of king's court,if you play them on any buy/virtual buy they count as a +2 buy which ups your buying power up to 51 cards,then you buy the 10 remodels,each remodels net you 2 cards upping the number of card you can go trough 71 cards each turn and actualy 81 if you plays your kings court on remodels if you trash some cards like squire and catacombs you can go trough the cards even faster,after that i guess it's just a matter to buy all the other +buy cards and then the rest

so basicaly to summarize and actualy improve the whole thing

1) start buying watchtowers/wishing wells
2) empty/reduce to 1 the stack of ironworks
3) use the ironworks to get +actions,bridge's and the required watchtower/library to replenish your hand
4) when you get to 7 bridges,empty/reduce to 1 the stack of king's court
5) gets all of the remake's (not remodels,i got confused),add fodders for the remakes such as squire and catacombs,get even more buy card
6) buy the rest of the cards
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:22:18 pm by teasel »

razorborne

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 07:26:51 pm »

now I'm curious how that last turn would go. let's see.

after I play the scrying pool, my hand is 9 of each action, except 8 pools, 10 king's courts, and 10 throne rooms. without using the courts or rooms, or crossroads, or anything I might need later, I have the following non-terminal draw:
village (9 draws)
spy (9 draws)
market (9 draws)
wishing well (18 draws)
conspirator (9 draws)
mining village (9 draws)
Haven (9 draws)
Pearl Diver (9 draws)
Caravan (9 draws)
Bazaar (9 draws)
Treasury (9 draws)
Apothecary (9 draws, also clears out coppers)
Familiar (9 draws)
Worker's Village (9 draws)
City (18 draws)
Grand Market (9 draws)
Peddler (9 draws)
Hamlet (9 draws, probably discard for the buys)
Menagerie (unfortunately, only 9 draws)
Tournament (9 draws)
Hunting Party (18 draws if done early, so I can fetch all different victory cards)
Oasis (9 draws, discard something irrelevant, like coppers from apothecary)
Scheme (9 draws)
Cartographer (9 draws)
Highway (9 draws)
Border Village (9 draws)
Walled Village (9 draws)
Laboratory (18 draws)
Alchemist (18 draws)
Trusty Steed (2 draws)
Inn (18 draws)
Warehouse (27 draws)
Stables (27 draws)

that's 380 draws. add on the dark ages ones, I'm too lazy and I don't need them, but if I do they exist too. there's 13 victory cards, each of which I have 7 of, plus one knight. that means I blast through them to treasure pretty quickly, then I can use my crossroads to draw 92 cards each. that's another 828 draws. I think it's safe to say I have everything in my hand now. if not I can now play my Great Halls for 9 more but I doubt I need that. anything that can't be done with over 1000 cards can't be done.

anyway, with some basic TR/KC/Proc stacking, I can get 22 tripled actions and 17 doubled actions. I've played 9 Highways so I need to use one doubled action on bridge. now let's look at how many non-terminal buys I have: (counting the ones played in the non-terminal draw phase)

Festival: 9
Market: 9
Pawn: 9
Worker's Village: 9
City: 9
Grand Market: 9
Hamlet: 9
Forager: 9
Market Square: 9

that's 81 buys. plus, as NoMoreFun points out, I can use some of my KC actions on Squire, for 27 more. that's 108 buys and everything is free. then I can use the rest of my KC and TR things on terminal buy like Council Room, for 73 more. that's 181 buys. there's less than 181 unique cards in dominion, right? if so this is proof of concept that, at some point, this can be done. if not, upgrades haven't been played so you can get some more with that, and I have a lot of extra actions with which to play more terminal buys or gainers. plus there's some treasures that give +buys or gain things, so use those too. if anyone can figure out the fastest way to gain all but one of each card, feel free to staple this on the end to close the game out.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:29:12 pm by razorborne »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 08:09:45 pm »

there's less than 181 unique cards in dominion, right?

No.  There are now... 190?  I think.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 09:01:09 pm »

@razorbone

Nice, but one glaring omission. With perfect shuffle luck, you can use Scout to draw Victory cards 4 at a time

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 09:20:45 pm »

Also you can empty more piles as you go with University and Ironworks (and Workshop, Armory and Altar if you've got the actions), top deck them with Watchtower, draw them with Scrying Pool and play them. You can also use Black Market/Horn of Plenty if you're really running low.

I have complete confidence that you'll be able to draw your entire deck and have enough actions and buys to deplete the supply.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 10:23:47 pm »

@razorbone

Nice, but one glaring omission. With perfect shuffle luck, you can use Scout to draw Victory cards 4 at a time

Andddd, you can start with all of your coppers in your discard --> counting house.
A man on a mission.

wuthefwasthat

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
    • The Dominion section of my blog
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 12:03:51 am »
+1

Edit:  I realized that the Potion cost cards and, especially, the Victory Kingdom cards, make this quite a bit harder than I previously thought it was.  Changed some stuff accordingly.  No longer as convinced it's possible.   

now I'm curious how that last turn would go. let's see.

I highly suspect the last turn goes more like this... 

Turn 4:  You draw Copper, (reshuffle) Procession, Procession, Nomad Camp, Watchtower.

Look familiar?  And if that doesn't work, I bet this will:

Turn 5:  You draw Throne Room, Throne Room, Procession, Hunting Grounds, Watchtower.
On deck is Procession, Ironworks, Bridge, King's Court, Peddler...

This one requires a bit more explanation:

Turn 1 and 2: Open Ironworks/Chancellor

Turn 3: Draw Ironworks, Chancellor, 3 Coppers
Play Ironworks, for Procession.  Play Chancellor, discarding deck, and 3 Coppers.  Buy Watchtower

Turn 4: Draw Procession, Ironworks, Chancellor, Watchtower, Necropolis
Play Necropolis.  Play Procession on Ironworks, gaining Throne Room, Procession, Council Room on top.
Play Watchtower, drawing Throne Room, Procession, Council Room, and 2 Coppers.
Play Throne Room on Procession 
 -- 1st Procession plays Chancellor, gaining Bridge.
 -- 2nd Procession plays Council Room, drawing 5 coppers, Bridge, Hovel, Overgrown Estate.  Gain Hunting Grounds.
Play Bridge and 7 Coppers. 
With $12, 4 buys, and 1 cost reduction:  Buy King's Court, Throne Room, Ironworks, Peddler.

Whichever route we take, we then attempt to do the following:

Play Throne Room's on top of King's Courts, on top of Procession/Band of Misfits, in a huge chain.  King's Courts should always be played by King's Courts, except that a top-level one by a Throne Room.  Band of Misfits always plays as Procession. 

Keep a single Watchtower and Fortress in hand.  Make sure we have EXACTLY 2 cost reductions (e.g. the original Bridge) played the whole time.  Altar will get us the King's Courts (trashing Fortress). 

Processions and Develops generally work up and down the following ladder, typically listed starting with the most useful cards, though it depends on what stage of the turn we are at:

2 costs:  Squire, Hamlet, Pawn
3 costs:  Develop, Workshop, Hermit, Watchtower
4 costs:  Procession, Ironworks, Armory, Remake, Talisman, Potion
5 costs:  Band of Misfits, Catacombs, Haggler, Upgrade, Horn of Plenty
6 costs:  Border Village, Altar, Hunting Grounds, Grand Markets, 1 Hoard
7 costs:  King's Court

Initially, focus on gaining cards.  At the very beginning, use Ironworks, Upgrade, Armory, and Altar.  Eventually, when we can support it, switch to Develop (and then Remake when it runs out), which should often get played on Fortress.  When the time comes, there are lots of quick tricks we can use to draw lots of cards quickly.  Most likely one:  Procession a Squire, getting Scrying Pool on top.  The other likely possibility is Crossroads. 

All cards we gain but don't draw during the chain should be Hagglers, Talismans, Horn of Plenty, Potions, cards with buys, and the alt VP costing less than 6:  Great Hall, Island, Silk Road, Tunnel, Duke, Feodum, Gardens (most likely trash them with Watchtower). 

At some point, we want to play 18 potions total.  Most likely, we should gain 6 and use the Black Market + Mandarin trick twice, or something like that.

We need around 150 to 200 buys, by a rough estimate.  We may want to save some King's Courts plays for Squire (and Sir Martin).  If we saved 10 (of the 20), it would give us 60 buys!  Most likely, it won't go like that, as King's Courts are pretty precious. 

At the end of the day, we want to have a total cost reduction of exactly 5.  We also want 10 Hagglers, a couple Talismans, 10 Horns of Plenty, 10 Counterfeits, and 10 Contrabands.  About 10 of those cards can come from Horn of Plenty/Mandarin/Cultist shennanigans in the buy-phase, which also empties the Cultist pile.  This leaves about 8 Horns of Plenty in hand, which are trashed for Colonies.  Playing 10 Counterfeits in a chain, play 10 Contrabands.  This gives 39 buys. 

With Watchtower in hand, Hunting Grounds and Feodum essentially take care of Duchies (and Duchesses), Estates, and Silvers.  A single Hoard should take care of Golds.  A single Rats takes care of Rats (with Fortress around). 

So our buys are largely spent on Province, Nobles, Harem, Farmland, Fairgrounds, Possession, and Vineyards.  We Haggle for other cards (be sure to Haggle the Knights, and to get the Potion cost cards and Grand Markets off of Possession).  If any alt VP costing less than $6 remains, buy it.  And any remaining piles (Platinum and the 6/7 cost actions) should be bought, with a couple buys each, thanks to Talisman. 

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of puzzles like this anymore, since it's essentially already been solved.  Plus, solutions with big chains involving only two of King's Court, Throne Room, and Procession already take a while to work out.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 02:17:50 pm by wuthefwasthat »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 02:12:32 am »

That's all I needed to see, well done.

Also you can use black market to do the HOP trick and Mandarin shenanigans during your action phase. You can gain inn to shuffle the deck.

On the potion issue, you'll need to buy all the vineyards as well (which can't be gained with Talisman/Haggler). There's only 16 potions in the supply, so you'll definitely need to use some Counterfeit (or black market mandarin shenanigans)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:53:06 am by NoMoreFun »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.006 seconds with 21 queries.