Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: People that make me feel inferior  (Read 15964 times)

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
Re: People that make me feel inferior
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 07:14:44 pm »

i got a 23 on the putnam the one time i took it

woo

Mad props for that. I was gonna take it one year and then decided I'd rather sleep that day.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 08:41:32 pm »

woo

Solid cayvie! I took that all college long, and finally (my senior year) when I knew stuff I scored a 33.  every other year was a solid 0. :)

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 09:51:30 am »

woo

Solid cayvie! I took that all college long, and finally (my senior year) when I knew stuff I scored a 33.  every other year was a solid 0. :)

nice

i dropped my math major and never looked back :D
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

RichardNixon

• Spy
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 12:53:50 pm »
+1

aced my math GRE at least but that's not very hard.

I suspect the math GRE might actually be easier than the math SAT.  The verbal part's a lot harder, though.

This was my experience. But I did spend my entire undergrad as an engineer sharpening my math skills and completely neglecting my language ones.

That was my experience as a goddamn English major.

You have to compare the percentiles rather than the raw scores. A perfect math GRE is only 94th percentile because it's not that rare. I think my verbal was ~680 which is actually higher than 94th percentile. Verbal of ~740+ is 99th percentile.
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure."
~ Dan Quayle

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 06:08:49 pm »

My best Putnam score was a 41.  Now I'm teaching at a tier 1 school, but Terry Tao still makes me feel inadequate.
Well you *do* need a signature...

dnkywin

• Scout
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2012, 06:31:50 pm »

lol @ this discussion degenerating into meaningless test scores...

Just wondering, who's this CC that the OP speaks of?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2012, 07:30:20 pm »
+1

lol, Celestial_Chameleon
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2012, 03:41:43 am »

lol, Celestial_Chameleon
Should have guessed it was you.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2012, 08:21:37 am »

Not sure what you meant there but I am no CC. CC is a phenomenon I can't even begin to approach. I was simply replying to the post above me and failed to quote it.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2012, 11:48:46 am »
+2

I suspect the math GRE might actually be easier than the math SAT.  The verbal part's a lot harder, though.

On the GRE math section, I got a question that gave me a list of numbers, and asked something like "Which of these is not divisible by prime numbers" - something that's not too hard to figure out, but takes a lot of time, because you literally have to do it number by number, unless you get lucky with the first one, but then you really should check the others anyway.  That is not the sort of question that should be asked on a timed exam, and definitely not something that's important for gauging my math skills.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2012, 07:23:07 pm »

On the GRE math section, I got a question that gave me a list of numbers, and asked something like "Which of these is not divisible by prime numbers" - something that's not too hard to figure out, but takes a lot of time, because you literally have to do it number by number, unless you get lucky with the first one, but then you really should check the others anyway.  That is not the sort of question that should be asked on a timed exam, and definitely not something that's important for gauging my math skills.

Were they big numbers?  Was it a long list?

Every number is divisible by at least one prime number.  A prime number is only divisible by 1 or itself (which is a prime number).  Every non-prime number has multiple divisors, which themselves have divisors, until you get down to all primes.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2012, 09:30:39 pm »

Every number is divisible by at least one prime number.  A prime number is only divisible by 1 or itself (which is a prime number).  Every non-prime number has multiple divisors, which themselves have divisors, until you get down to all primes.

Maybe there were some non-integers on the list.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2012, 09:37:46 pm »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2012, 11:57:08 pm »
+1

1 is typically not considered a prime number. ;)

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2012, 12:01:48 am »
+1

1 is typically not considered a prime number. ;)

No, but is typically considered a positive integer solution to the question posed, "Which of these is not divisible by prime numbers" if it were an option.  ;)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2012, 04:09:08 pm »
+2

This was my experience. But I did spend my entire undergrad as an engineer sharpening my math skills and completely neglecting my language ones.

That was my experience as a goddamn English major.

You have to compare the percentiles rather than the raw scores. A perfect math GRE is only 94th percentile because it's not that rare. I think my verbal was ~680 which is actually higher than 94th percentile. Verbal of ~740+ is 99th percentile.

Self-selection blahblahblah.  Everyone takes the Math SAT and many of those do not take Math GRE.

FWIW I think the Math SAT, relative to its content, is much more challenging than the Math GRE, because the Math SAT (esp. SAT II) really tests your knowledge of the material.  It is a test where rote memorization will fail you miserably and you won't even realize it.  It doesn't test obvious cases, no answers are arrived at via brute force, and the various multiple choice options are intentionally designed to capture wrong approaches to the problem.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2012, 07:05:41 am »
+1

lol, Celestial_Chameleon
+1. WW, Marin, and Stef make me feel pretty inferior. :)
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2013, 02:58:57 pm »
+1

This guy.

"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2013, 03:02:02 pm »

My tomorrow's self.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2013, 06:30:31 pm »

I have mixed emotions when I read about someone like Terry Tao. On one hand, that's the path I was headed on (albeit more slowly), and while I've finally finished my PhD, I'm not really in mathematics at all now, so it's sad to think back to the kid I was and not doing anything with that potential. On the other hand, I had a pretty normal life all things considered, and being pushed harder at an earlier age probably would have made that impossible.

Also: Kim Ung-yong.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.26 seconds with 21 queries.