Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Gauntlet of Fools: GenCon playtest report  (Read 12861 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Gauntlet of Fools: GenCon playtest report
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 04:57:26 pm »

I got my copy a few days ago and have played maybe a half dozen games. So far I find it quite enjoyable.

The thing is that it's going to take quite a few games to get a handle on how powerful the classes, weapons, and combinations of the two are. Until I get to that point, the boasting is pretty superfluous. I'm not sure whether the game will have enough staying power at my house to get to that point.

Still, it's a lot of fun just as a very quick, casual game, even if we never get good at it.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 04:14:58 pm »

My copy of this showed up today.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

lympi

• Salvager
  • You'll never catch me, Copper
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 01:58:19 pm »

I will post a secret history around when it comes out next month. I think the rulebook is online already.

October is quickly coming to a close… secret history, secret history?

I played a few games the other night any enjoyed it a great deal. I'd like to hear how it came to being. Particularly the boasting mechanic. I imagine you went through a ton of different boasts. (Virtually every adventurer in our games was hung over.)
Then God said, Let there be a Village, and another Village, and another Village, and a Village, and I've got a silver and a copper. I'll buy a Village. -Ousgg on BGG

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 02:21:13 pm »

October is quickly coming to a close… secret history, secret history?

I played a few games the other night any enjoyed it a great deal. I'd like to hear how it came to being. Particularly the boasting mechanic. I imagine you went through a ton of different boasts. (Virtually every adventurer in our games was hung over.)
The boasts all got tweaked, and a couple replaced, but there aren't a lot of outtakes.

I have been waiting to post the secret history until people can buy the game. Aside from a few stores that got in on the kickstarter, I don't think it's available yet.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2012, 07:00:46 am »

So, I got to play GoF twice this weekend during my mini convention (I had 6 people up from NYC for the weekend for 2.5 full gaming days of glory) + some extra local gamers on Saturday.

Honestly, it fell a little flat, and when I tried to get it out for a 3rd time, it was rejected.

The consensus was that the interesting decision was upfront (the boasting), but then the rest of it didn't have enough decisions / took too long to execute. 

I think with the right crowd, this could go over ok (drink some beers, get really into your die rolls etc.), but that same crowd is already playing munchkin.

I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 11:07:59 am »

So, I got to play GoF twice this weekend during my mini convention (I had 6 people up from NYC for the weekend for 2.5 full gaming days of glory) + some extra local gamers on Saturday.

Honestly, it fell a little flat, and when I tried to get it out for a 3rd time, it was rejected.

The consensus was that the interesting decision was upfront (the boasting), but then the rest of it didn't have enough decisions / took too long to execute. 

I think with the right crowd, this could go over ok (drink some beers, get really into your die rolls etc.), but that same crowd is already playing munchkin.

I have a similar feeling. I like the game, but only some of my friends are really into it (those that prefer lighter games than over ones with a huge strategy depth)
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 11:09:00 am »

So if I have and enjoy Munchkin then I should give this one a miss?

Sounds like its a bit lighter
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 11:13:40 am »
+1

So if I have and enjoy Munchkin then I should give this one a miss?

Sounds like its a bit lighter

I enjoy this more than Munchkin and I don't think they're that comparable. Or that this one is lighter. I think there is a REAL decision in this game (boasting) where as most decisions in Munchkin devolve into kingmaking.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 11:16:48 am »

They are completely different games with a similar theme.  Neither are heavily strategic.  I think that the people who like Munchkin (usually for the theme IMHO) are likely to like this, as also a non strategic game with a similar theme (beating the snot out of monsters)

It plays significantly faster.  My crowd generally weights strategy over theme, so it got negged and we went and played another round of high society, which plays in the same amount of time, but has stressful decisions all the way through.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 02:48:50 pm »

In my crowd it has been said that this is the game Munchkin should have been. The same kind of humour would have definitely fit, and it's much more enjoyable.
For its lightness, the length is also much better (Munchkin tends to drag). I really like GoF as a filler!

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.