Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Torturer vs. Minion  (Read 1960 times)

mgallop

• Baron
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
Torturer vs. Minion
« on: August 21, 2012, 05:00:54 pm »

Just had an interesting game where my opponent went torturer and I went Minion. Board had good torturer support (Workers and Village, no trashing save Loan) but had awesome Minion support (loan, pawn, grand market). It took my opponent a while to get a tortuer chain set up and I had the awesome Minion/Pawn opener. Thoughts on strategy? I didn't like my opponents getting loan since he'd end up drawing his deck and wanting coin. Also interested in general thoughts on torturer v minion: part of me thinks minion should be in good shape since it can discard twice while still maintaining a minion and not being that effected, but once torturer chains gets going, curses are pretty devastating.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/21/game-20120821-135652-66401621.html

polonkus

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
Re: Torturer vs. Minion
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 05:05:18 pm »

Not sure about the ideal strategy on this board, but I'd say your opponent was playing like an idiot here.
He does nothing to build his economy and gets stuck at <= $4 until turn 10!
This user is banned.

mgallop

• Baron
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 05:27:57 pm »

In his defense, you need to focus on building the torturer chain more than economy early... In his anti-defense, the loan buy is terrible. If its a silver he can buy torturers+pawns, and at least buy things once the chain gets going...

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 06:24:57 pm »

I feel like it would be much easier to get GMs with Minions than with Torturers... I don't know how crucial that would be in this game, but it obviously wouldn't hurt... (just a level 20 musing here)
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

GigaKnight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 08:46:22 pm »

Not sure about the ideal strategy on this board, but I'd say your opponent was playing like an idiot here.
He does nothing to build his economy and gets stuck at <= $4 until turn 10!

I would say he was playing more like a noob. :)  It looked like he was hoping for an early $5 with only coppers (that he's trashing) and no draw...  Not very likely to work.

Also, in case we need a reminder, opening with any Village is pretty much always a mistake.  It generally does nothing to help the second pass through your deck.  Unless you're very confident your strategy wants that Village first thing, just don't do it.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 09:57:10 pm »

You get a chance to switch to torturers on your turn 7 and I'm guessing that's a better continuation for you, but only since you had two villages in your deck already.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 01:29:48 am »

My theory question about Minion vs Torturer is: where are the curses going to go? This game has no way to trash curses and no way to return them to the supply. If (at least) one player is running a Torturer chain, the curses will end up in somebody's deck. A Torturer chain is definitely fast enough to deliver them all before the game ends, too--if played properly.

Winning while having all 10 curses is going to be really hard, maybe impossible. So that argument says that adding Torturers should be necessary to win (barring the luck factor).

Here, the Torturer player definitely did not play optimally, even from the start, as Worker's Village/Loan is awful.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 11:12:53 pm »

Well, the Minion player can often take two Torturer hits for free if he wants, since a hand of one Minion is good enough. This means the Curses are likely to run out much more slowly than they otherwise would.

I do think a combination of the two could work out, though. Maybe.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 20 queries.